The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast

New-look programme launches Monday; see p245 > (January 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Moz posted:
southwales posted:
Sian clearly does not have breakfast because she is and always will be second league - she probably begged to go to Sri Lanka just to get a job - face it she is only ever on when someone else is not .

No, Sian doesn't have breakfast because a certain other excuse for a newsreader is probably screwing a boss - she's certainly screwing up BBC News!

I think you may have crossed the line with that one, Moz.
HA
harshy Founding member
Moz posted:
southwales posted:
Sian clearly does not have breakfast because she is and always will be second league - she probably begged to go to Sri Lanka just to get a job - face it she is only ever on when someone else is not .

No, Sian doesn't have breakfast because a certain other excuse for a newsreader is probably screwing a boss - she's certainly screwing up BBC News!

Oooh, you must really hate her to make those comments Moz.
WI
winifred
Sian - studied at Oxford Polytechnic (now called Oxford Brookes ''University'').

Natasha - studied at the University of Oxford.

Enough said. Very Happy
IS
Isonstine Founding member
I'm so glad we can still afford to be elitist!

Sian is a great presenter...have always rated her personally ever since making a big break on News 24 and some BBC1 bulletins. Definately think she's one of the better presenters out there. What a waste.
NG
noggin Founding member
winifred posted:
Sian - studied at Oxford Polytechnic (now called Oxford Brookes ''University'').

Natasha - studied at the University of Oxford.

Enough said. Very Happy

What rubbish... Can we all grow up a bit?

I'm not going to get into a "Sian v Natasha" argument because I like and rate them both as presenters. They are different - but what is wrong with that?

I don't want a regiment of identical clones presenting, I want varied, normal, rounded people who can cope with a variety of topics, having gravitas and background knowledge of situations when required, but also appearing human and having a personality that breaks through at other times. (You can tell a lot about a presenter by how they approach mistakes and technical problems)

I think both Sian and Natasha have those abilities - and I enjoy watching both of them.

What University you went to is not entirely relevant to your broadcasting abilities, and is not particularly relevant to a broadcast career as much these days (I should know I went to "the other place". A nice 3 year break from the real world - but it was just that.)

Sian is a very well qualified and experienced journalist - and was due to be one of News 24's launch editors in 1997 (a senior editorial post) before she was persuaded to move in front of the cameras. She is still certainly a very competent and talented journalist.

Natasha is obviously a thoroughly competent and flexible presenter as well.

Don't see a need to play them off against each other - why waste the time and energy...
MO
Moz
harshy posted:
Moz posted:
southwales posted:

Oooh, you must really hate her to make those comments Moz.

I don't hate her at all. I try very hard not to hate anyone, I don't think there's room for hate in the world.

I just don't think she's very good on Breakfast. She used to be OK on Live at Five, so I don't know what went wrong. It just seems like she's too false now, as I said early you just couldn't see her reporting from the Tsunami area. Perhaps she'll be better in the 1/6 pool. I'm certainly not doubting her intelligence, just saying that she hides it well!
BN
Breakfast News
Was it still Bill and Susannah on Breakfast this morning - or was Natasha back?

I take it Dermot wasn't on since he is doing the News Special on N24/One right now.
MO
Moz
Breakfast News posted:

I take it Dermot wasn't on since he is doing the News Special on N24/One right now.

It was Dermott & Natasha.
BN
Breakfast News
Moz posted:
Breakfast News posted:

It was Dermott & Natasha.

Was it a full news-agenda programme today, or had they gone back to their usual fluff from 8.30?

Thanks
SP
Spencer
Moz posted:
I'm certainly not doubting her intelligence, just saying that she hides it well!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I'm sure being an Oxford graduate Natasha Kerplunk isn't thick, but nevertheless she always looks so vacant on Breakfast. Her expression whenever the other presenter is speaking is almost always one of 'the lights are on but nobody's home'.
BN
Breakfast News
Spencer For Hire posted:
Moz posted:
I'm certainly not doubting her intelligence, just saying that she hides it well!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I'm sure being an Oxford graduate Natasha Kerplunk isn't thick, but nevertheless she always looks so vacant on Breakfast. Her expression whenever the other presenter is speaking is almost always one of 'the lights are on but nobody's home'.

She also seems to have an irregularity when she looks at the other presenter, she always seems to stare at someone or thing before bringing her head round to the front again.
SP
Spencer
Breakfast News posted:
she always seems to stare at someone or thing before bringing her head round to the front again.

The Dead Ringers 'prize winning cat' observation suddenly springs to mind.

Newer posts