The Newsroom

ITV Lunchtime News: now 1 hour as part of ITV Day

Nicholas Owen, Katie Derham | inc. 13 mins regional news (December 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SR
Sir Richard Rotcod
ITV is currently carrying out audience research on plans for the Lunchtime News to be extended to an hour (12.30-1.30) and be double-headed by Nicholas Owen and Katie Derham.

It would be a combination of the traditional news programme with magazine elements, such as entertainment, experts in the studio, phone-ins, a text vote etc.

One of the questions they are asking is how many minutes of regional news viewers would like to see as part of the the hour.
BN
Breakfast News
Sounds like a good idea to me - could overshaddow the N24 replacement for the One.

Is this to please Ms Derham - to get her on a permanant national news slot.
LO
LONDON
I thought Katie Derham had other commitments with London Tonight. That was the excuse for her not to do the Evening News while Mary is away. It is unlikely that she would do both the Lunchtime news and London Tonight.
LO
Londoner
LONDON posted:
I thought Katie Derham had other commitments with London Tonight. That was the excuse for her not to do the Evening News while Mary is away. It is unlikely that she would do both the Lunchtime news and London Tonight.

Why not? She often does the Lunchtime News and London Tonight when Nick Owen is away.

And several times a week - today included - she does the London Today bulletin within the Lunchtime News.

And she often does London Tonight and the 10.30 on Fridays.

Also, Alastair has an even longer day - he must be at ITN 9 till 7 most days.
MO
morgaineofevil
i'd like to see at least 15 minutes of regional lunchtime news say at 1 10. tha would be nice.
LO
LONDON
Yes but these roles are only ocasional. This would be a permanent position, which would mean a greater workload, than her just having to fill in ocasionally. Don't forget that Katie is a journalist and would have to prepare for each programme.
LO
Londoner
LONDON posted:
Yes but these roles are only ocasional. This would be a permanent position, which would mean a greater workload, than her just having to fill in ocasionally. Don't forget that Katie is a journalist and would have to prepare for each programme.

Yes, I'm sure she can cope just as well as Alastair, who works longer hours on a daily basis.
LU
Luke
Not to mention the fact that this appears to be just an idea at present; I would imagine that the selection of the presenters would be the last in the list of priorities?

And how would an extended Lunchtime News affect the rest of ITV's alloted hours for news?
SR
Sir Richard Rotcod
Luke posted:
Not to mention the fact that this appears to be just an idea at present; I would imagine that the selection of the presenters would be the last in the list of priorities?

The research document I have in front of me says explicitly: "ITV are considering extending the ITV1 Lunchtime News by half and hour, making it an hour-long programme from 12.30pm until 1.30pm, presented by Nicholas Owen and Katie Derham."

It goes on to ask detailed questions about the suitablility of the Owen/Derham partnership, amongst many other aspects of the extended programme.

Luke posted:
And how would an extended Lunchtime News affect the rest of ITV's alloted hours for news?

Good question - ditching the Morning News maybe?
AL
Alex
I find Katie most watchable, both with Alastair Stewart at 6pm and on her own for the 10:30 News. I haven't formed a strong opinion on Nicholas Owen but don't see why they shouldn't work well together.

From a purely selfish point of view 10:30 is a better time for me so I was hoping that Katie would take over from Sir Trevor if/when he retires, but I'd happily settle for the more relaxed atmosphere of a longer lunchtime bulletin.
TE
TELEVISION
I would certainly welcome an hour long Lunchtime News, just please don't fill it up with tabloid trash.

The hour - long Lunchtime News during the war in Iraq was very good, even though one story dominated the whole programme.

IMO, the current programme is very poor, a lot more international and business news NEEDS to be covered.

Maybe half - hour news, 15 minutes from the regions, and 5 minutes each on business and sport.
AN
Andrew Founding member
LONDON posted:

That's because the Evening News is on straight after London Tonight. I'm sure Katie would have enough time from 1.30pm to 6pm to prepare for London Tonight

Newer posts