TV Home Forum

ITV Regional News to lose their regional names!

Central News, Anglia tonight etc to go!!! (December 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVDragon
Nick Harvey posted:
What a complete and utter load of old cobblers.

Well now wasn't the whole of ITV to be renamed Spring tv?

Another tvf exclusive I seem to remember had everyone prematurely excited.
JC
Jack Carkdale
CrusadeforCentral, if you're going to insist on posting your imagination as fact, at least make it believable! Rolling Eyes

Your bullsh*t convinces no-one because...

1) You haven't qualified your claims with a decent source (or, indeed, any source).

2) Your claimed new news titles are obviously full of flaws, thus...

2a) Surely not all 3 Meridains could become ITV News South - the Maidstone edition would surely be ITV News South East? Arguably, the Newbury edition could equally be "South" or something like "Thames Valley" (or similar).

2b) Calendar becoming ITV News North East, eh? Really? Surely Tyne Tees has the best claim to that name? Rolling Eyes Something like ITV News Yorks & Lincs would be more believable.

2c) Border becoming ITV News North? Yeah, right... Rolling Eyes If you live in the Scottish part of the region, you're in the south of your country! Rolling Eyes

2d) Plus, also, the two ex-HTV News' are now called "ITV (region) News", not "ITV News (region)". So, surely, if ITVplc were gonna roll out standard news names across the network, they would follow the word order already established in the two ex-HTV regions, rather than a completely different word order? Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't bother bullsh*tting if I were you - youre crap at it! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by Jack Carkdale on 7 December 2004 10:49am - 4 times in total
LO
lobster
i do think a lot of people here look at the regional commitments of itv through rose tinted glasses.

i must admit, my interest in television has waned in the last couple of years, but i remember fondly how regional itv was between about 1990-1998 (from then on it went generic), i still have a huge collection of presentation vhs cassettes with snippets of anglia news and various continuity on them, which i did manage to skip through recently.

as far as i can tell, regional programming has always been of low budget and of questionable merit. local news has always been full of 'cat stuck up a tree' type stories and this hasn't really changed.

the number of slots for regional programmes may have decreased, and for whatever reason, itv now seems to be pretty much consistent throughout all of england, when itv had the power to schedule what they wanted on a saturday-sunday afternoons and during the daytimes, i remember when flicking over to yorkshire, both channels had crappy old b movies on or something equally generic.

i would say the identity of itv at the moment is weak, but then, has it ever really been all that strong? the anglia flag which graced our screens here in the east for over ten years never really portrayed anything about the region.

i actually think it would make much more sense to brand the local news services based on their geographical location rather than the franchise name, this makes a lot of sense to me. Whilst most regional itv companies derive their name from their coverage area, meridan, htv, granada, (and to an extent, anglia) are meaningless. The way the BBC regions are named is logical, (although i am glad they dropped that stupid BBC LDN name and changed it to the correct BBC LONDON moniker)

times have changed, and i think their are much better sources for regional information than two half hour slots during the week, and i look forward to the day where regional names are dropped completely and the national and regional news and programmes are seemlessly integrated.
JC
Jack Carkdale
Well said, Dr Sigmund Mohammad!

I'll second just about eveything you've said! Smile
AD
Adam
Dr Sigmund Mohammad posted:

times have changed, and i think their are much better sources for regional information than two half hour slots during the week, and i look forward to the day where regional names are dropped completely and the national and regional news and programmes are seemlessly integrated.

Well if ITV want ratings up here in Tyne Tees, that's not the way to go about it - they've already messed things up by shortening the programme in 2001. Viewer opinion has gone down since the February, and over the whole of Tyne Tees, ever since YTV took over continuity. People here do not want a clone of the ITV News, they want an INDIVIDUAL programme, which is distinctive. Maybe in the South, because none of the stations have had sucessful branding on the Station or the News for years, apart from LWT perhaps, but that's long gone. We don't want to look like London here.

Your views on Regional programming also sound like a load of crap to me. TTTV produced some excellent programmes in the 90s, and anything they still produce (without Granada or YTV trying to "help") is still of a very good quality.
AD
Adam
Last edited by Adam on 7 December 2004 11:05am
LO
lobster
Adam posted:

Your views on Regional programming also sound like a load of crap to me. TTTV produced some excellent programmes in the 90s, and anything they still produce (without Granada or YTV trying to "help") is still of a very good quality.

which local programmes are you referring to?
AD
Adam
Grundys Wonders
Past Crimes
Call Dr. Jane
Late Night Legends (Live)
Britains Forgotten Murderess
When We Were Young
Westenders
The Unprofessionals

Some recent programmes of quality. There have also been some "okish" GMG North Zone programmes.
LO
lobster
Adam posted:
Whilst most regional itv companies derive their name from their coverage area, meridan, htv, granada

Hmm, Granada, a very familliar local attraction... Laughing

Couldn't you think of these: Central, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees, Westcountry, Border, Scottish, Grampian, UTV, LWT, Channel?

you have either misread my post, or have taken that quote out of context. my point is that the names MERIDIAN, HTV, GRANADA and ANGLIA (bare in mind that the word anglia, actually means england, not the east of england) do not reflect the region they serve geographically, whilst central, yorkshire, tyne tees, westcountry, border, scottish, grampian, utv, channel and lwt do/did, so it would be valid to rename the news service on granada, meridian, htv and anglia to something geographically more relevant.
JC
Jack Carkdale
Adam posted:
Whilst most regional itv companies derive their name from their coverage area, meridan, htv, granada

Hmm, Granada, a very familliar local attraction...

Couldn't you think of these: Central, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees, Westcountry, Border, Scottish, Grampian, UTV, LWT, Channel?

Adam, you idiot! Rolling Eyes Dr Sigmund Mohammed wasn't saying that Meridian, HTV, and Granada are regional sounding names. He was saying that they aren't ! Rolling Eyes

His whole sentence was...

Whilst most regional itv companies derive their name from their coverage area, meridan, htv, granada , (and to an extent, anglia) are meaningless.

Read (and quote) properly! Rolling Eyes

[muse to self]Too many ******* in this forum[/muse to self]
MS
Mr-Stabby
This bit of news certainly seems a bit suspicious to me!

Although let us not forget, this is ITV PLC! I've learnt not to be suprised by anything they do!
DJ
DJ Dave
TVDragon posted:
Nick Harvey posted:
What a complete and utter load of old cobblers.

Well now wasn't the whole of ITV to be renamed Spring tv?

Another tvf exclusive I seem to remember had everyone prematurely excited.

lol yeah, that was around the time i joined the forum. I think it's total rubbish but we shall see anyway.

Newer posts