TV Home Forum

New ITV1 idents with no voice-over

Look no further than UTV overnight. (November 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
marksi
Looks like the clean feed they are getting is an output of the network emergency cut router, which doesn't have a synchroniser on it. I'm surprised they don't have a "clean" feed and the network one.
CO
Colm
So UTV's clean feed is not actually clean at all?

Well well well Rolling Eyes
MA
marksi
It's "clean" of continuity, though I doubt you could call those transitions clean. Is it like that all night then?!
AJ
A.J.A.
Overnight? Yes...
...and between the national news and national weather
...and between sponsorship stings which are server events...
Last edited by A.J.A. on 4 November 2004 8:41pm
CO
Colm
How could UTV change from its crash-a-thon junctions overnight?

Bet they still show that c.1998 Back Soon caption with the Night Time glow-in-the-dark dancers with early 1990s library music Smile
AJ
A.J.A.
Actually the Back Soon caption is like the regional ITV1 idents - logo centred and with "Back Soon" in the same style and font as the regional identification.

London-generated, I'm sure!
MA
marksi
It won't just be a problem on server events, it'll be like that on every single change of source.
CO
Colm
Ah yes, didn't UTV get the aspect ratio wrong on that one too or am I just being far too harsh of my native ITV company Smile
TV
The TV Room
marksi posted:
It won't just be a problem on server events, it'll be like that on every single change of source.

Correct. There is currently no picture sync between sources on that feed. Having looked it at, it isn't as bad as I had thought after reading this thread initially.

Incidentally, re the switches to/from ITN output - there have been problems there for some time...even on the main Network feed. It tends to occur only during Night-time broadcasts. The picture distortion is usually a lot more severe than that being experienced on the so called clean feed that UTV are using at the moment. The picture break up usually starts 3/4 secs before the switch to ITN and continues for a similar duration afterwards. Curiously, I've noticed a similar problem from time-to-time around ITN programming on Channel 4 and Five.

No such issues at the BBC though. They prefer sticking Radio Times captions up during programmes. Rolling Eyes Having had an early start on a couple of occasions this week, I also managed to catch BBC TWO symbol audio playing over Learning Zone output from around 5.30am. Are BBC Network Pres capable of producing a day of flawless output??
DE
denton
I watched the junctions around Emmerdale tonight (I know, sad)... and the flashing seems to have gone.

The clean-ish feed remains though, as UTV did their own End Credit Promo.

Have they managed to get a sync-ed version of the clean feed they were using earlier in the week, or are they deftly cutting between the clean feed and the old dirty feed as and when each is needed? Any one from UTV on this forum?

Whatever they are doing the result around Emmerdale tonight seemed ok.
DE
denton
The flash seems to be back tonight around Parky's junctions. What is the story with this? And where is Peter Rocket when you need him?
:-(
A former member
Just wondering, how come do you find that on the first clip - football advert - UTV logo-Paul O' Grady, did the guy speak and then the music - surely, it should have been music guy intro. to programme? Or are UTV always doing this? (BTW I am ITV Lon & Merid.) but the profile doesen't seem to show it.

Alex

Newer posts