TV Home Forum

The Regional Companies and their Capabilities

(November 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
cwathen Founding member
Technically, the ability for all stations to do entirely their own thing in terms of presentation and programming still exists, even with transmission being rationalised. Westcountry is a key example of this - they have NEVER had their own transmission, it was handled by HTV Wales from day 1 until 2003 and since then has been done by LNN. Yet for a long time HTV Wales and Westcountry were totally separate channels with no discernable link (beyond being ITV network stations) between the two. That they were both transmitted from the same site is irrelevant.

As Jason said however, politically it will never happen.

When did they loose their ability to do this? The writing was on the wall for it when stations stopped being independent and started being part of a conglomerate, but cemented in 1998 when all Carlton/GMG/UNM stations one way or another went corporate (except for the idents, which followed in 1999) with no individual station in the control of one of those 3 parties being allowed to decide for themselves their overall branding scheme any more (although YTV and TTTV continued to have their own non-network brand until 2002).

This was then cemented in 2002 when the then Carlton and Granada ITV stations started being passed off as though they were a single channel called ITV1.
TV
tvguy
BlaydononTyne posted:
If one of the feeds failed, Leeds could patch in the other one, as has happended very occasionally.

Oh it happended did it?
IS
Inspector Sands
BlackCat posted:
Arrow Could a regional company, given their current lack of equipment, resources and skilled employees, replace an item on the network feed, such as a programme or an ident, with an item of their own ? I'm not asking, "Could someone at Meridian make a nice ident?"

It's possible to broadcast anything at any time.

If someone wanted to do it they'd have to go to the transmission centre (London, Leeds or Cardiff) put the replacement item into their playout system, edit the schedule on the computer...... and then hope that no-one notices.
IS
Inspector Sands
cwathen posted:

This was then cemented in 2002 when the then Carlton and Granada ITV stations started being passed off as though they were a single channel called ITV1.

Here we go again.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
BC
BlackCat Founding member
Inspector Sands posted:
cwathen posted:

That's a little rude. He's talking sense, whether it bores you or not!

Anyway, thanks to those who answered my question, I think I understand the situation now.
DB
dbl
Inspector Sands posted:
cwathen posted:

Oh come on. I find his explaination of how the network works really interesting, it was very rude for you to say that!
:-(
A former member
BlaydononTyne posted:
I asked this question of TTTV some years ago and was told that there is no longer any transmission control at Newcastle. The studio feeds go to Leeds and are fed to the transmitters from there. Two feeds were sent, one for TTTV North news and one for TTTV South news. The news gallery would then combine the studio output for single service and split it again for the southern opt. If one of the feeds failed, Leeds could patch in the other one, as has happended very occasionally. At the time the Middlesborough studio also had a direct feed to Leeds as it has been used by YTV in the past - whether that's the same I dont know.

Yes that's true, I was merely pointing out that TTTV Newcastle has one single feed to Leeds, and this has a front-end which has been used in the past to provide partial continuity switching, and can still be used for such a purpose -- for example if TTTV were linking into a programme from studio 1 from news, it is perfectly possible for them to link one to t'other without any input from Leeds. The basic infrastructure is essentially unchanged from when the continuity announcer could link from IVC to the news programme without Leeds providing switching, although this has not been used for this purpose for some years.

The Teesside feed has been independent of Newcastle since early 1993, before transmission was passed to Leeds in fact (prior to Belasis opening the Newcastle tx centre actually had no way of transmitting output from the Middlesbrough studio live; it was passed through the news gallery and provided to pres on tape, who could then opt the Bilsdale transmitter out from Newcastle).

Quote:
I also asked that if Leeds suddenly went off-air, could Newcastle take over? I was told no, the only site that could do was Manchester but that a single sustaining output would go out to all GMG north transmitters. This was prior to the National itv1 of course.

It's my understanding that Manchester cannot not provide this service either. It has to be said though that *any* gallery (eg news) could be used for continuity at a stretch -- TTTV's news did actually provide a small amount of switching/continuity even when Newcastle was independent, for convenience.
JE
Jez Founding member
Inspector Sands posted:
cwathen posted:

You might find it boring but other people dont, I always find cwathen's posts interesting and informative.

Newer posts