The Newsroom

The Irish TV News Thread

North and South, BBC NI, UTV, RTE... (August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
Colm
Gav:
"A round of applause to both BBC NI and UTV for their coverage of the NI game in Cardiff and of the supporters who spurred the team on, against all the odds (and the mad Italian referee).

I was there and the both stations did just about as much justice as you could to a great trip.

I'm sure the fact that Stephen Watson and the loveable Logie clearly enjoyed themselves had absolutely nothing to do with the positive coverage.

Polls apart from the doom and gloom of BBC Wales and HTV, sorry, ITV1 Wales. Cheer-up, folks, you got a draw against us! Wink"

Cheers Gav, sounds like you had a good time over at the Millennium Stadium yourself.

12 days later

:-(
A former member
Did anyone else see Lynda Bryans from UTV presenting on the ITV News Channel? I saw her one day last week iirc.
TV
The TV Room
Expand
DTT Northern Ireland">Did anyone else see Lynda Bryans from UTV presenting on the ITV News Channel? I saw her one day last week iirc.

Lynda has been presenting on the News Channel for a couple of months now (at least). She has also fronted London Tonight recently.
CO
Colm
Just been watching UTV Live online...

When did Letitia Fitzpatrick change her name to Letitia Quinn? Has she got married again or is Letitia now using her maiden name?

And on yesterday's edition the DOG didn't seem to be showing at all during Live at Six , have UTV ditched it?
CO
Colm
I speak too soon... they just didn't fade the DOG back up after the weather last night, it was back in time for the sports news Smile
CO
Colm
Another observation from last night's UTV Live - at the end of the show, Adrian Logan mentioned that he would be presenting a round up of today's League of Ireland football matches this afternoon at 17.00.

So if this was the case, I'd imagine this evening's UTV Live came from Studio 2, with the duty announcer (let me guess... Gillian Porter) reading the news and Logie presenting the sport, was this how the 1700 bulletin turned out? And was the 1230 bulletin from Studio 2 or the CTA?
AJ
A.J.A.
Actually, the 5pm came from the continuity CSO set so Gilly (yep right there) looked right (instead of left) and there was Loggie who did his thing. He then looked to his left and back to Gilly again. It didn't work bad at all.
CO
Colm
A.J.A.:
"Actually, the 5pm came from the continuity CSO set so Gilly (yep right there) looked right (instead of left) and there was Loggie who did his thing. He then looked to his left and back to Gilly again. It didn't work bad at all."

Cheers for that! Smile

Sounds like the set up a few months ago where I wrongly predicted a new UTV Live set was being set up over a Bank Holiday period, with Mike Nesbitt and Gary Gillespie presenting a combined news/sport bulletin from the continuity set.

I wonder how showing highlights of the FAI League on Saturday will affect tomorrow's Sport on Sunday and Monday night's UTV Live - will they still feature the weekend's soccer action?
AJ
A.J.A.
Ah you'll probably get repeats! I'll be a pedant and say they covered the Irish Football League rather than the FAI League.

Incidentally and off again at a tangent for me (so what's new!), I found myself watching Sport Interactive and the fitting tribute to Brian Clough. At the end however, we got a full run down of virtually every possibly football classified result by "yer man who does the network sports results"... *including* the IFA! How impressed was I when he got to the local results after some five minutes of reading...! Laughing
CO
Colm
Well, at least there was one local team involved... Smile

I can remember a few years ago that the NI football results were read out nationally on Final Score - perhaps it was a week where lots of FA Cup matches were taking place midweek or there were imminent/subsequent international matches, and IIRC the games also counted for that week's pools!

Then again, I was pleasantly surprised last week that Sky Sports News mentioned the local League Cup games on their ticker... Smile

128 days later

BE
beachcomber
Letitia Gwynne changed her name last summer when she got married. Fitzpatrick was her maiden name.

Newer posts