(September 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KA
Kacas
Five news as usual providing a lacklustre news coverage
OH
ohwhatanight Founding member
Square Eyes posted:
Won't Alistair need to decamp to the CSO ? Ready for the Lunchtime News preparations ?

Well we havent actually had a studio shot for 15 minutes now so maybe they have relocated to another studio? There is no REAL need to be in the big theatre of news for such a story like this atm?
KA
Kacas
REPORTS: All hostages out of school
(report is uncofirmed)
OH
Well we have to take all news lightly as its taking a while for correct stories to filter through

Apparently there is still fighting occurring!
LO
Londoner
No titles for the Lunchtime News - just a straight handover from Alastair (out of vision) to Nick Owen.

This special is now extended to 2pm
OH
ITV News now on ITV1 until 2pm!

Alastair Stewart has just handed over to Nicholas owen who has just gone LIVE to Julian Manyon who has, according to Nic,"been to places where no other reporter has been."

Make of that what ever you will!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
You can't really fault ITV this morning, with many questioning their commitment to news, they've provided continuous coverage on two channels without advertising revenue for over 2 hours.

That is a major commitment by a commercial channel.
JH
Jonathan H
ohwhatanight posted:
Square Eyes posted:
Won't Alistair need to decamp to the CSO ? Ready for the Lunchtime News preparations ?

Well we havent actually had a studio shot for 15 minutes now so maybe they have relocated to another studio? There is no REAL need to be in the big theatre of news for such a story like this atm?

They could indeed have decamped during live pictures from Russia or during a package. On the other hand, they might just have kept Alastair at the desk and had Nick standing ready at the video wall for the handover. Would seem the most straightforward way to do it?
LO
Londoner
Are we going to get any regional news during this extended programme I wonder?

I notice that the News Channel graphics are still being used during the Lunchtime News.
LO
Londoner
We just got the closing music and ITN endcap.

Unusually the NC simulcast the weather with ITV1, but with the breakfiller over the Powergen sponsor sting and a very stretched picture!
BB
Big Brother Founding member
I'll praise ITV for taking the plunge to show news coverage over normal programming, however I watched the channel earlier and found it a little slow and not really keeping up nor had any journalists reporting from the scene.
OH
Big Brother posted:
I'll praise ITV for taking the plunge to show news coverage over normal programming, however I watched the channel earlier and found it a little slow and not really keeping up nor had any journalists reporting from the scene.

I 100% agree with the sentiments there - well done for putting the coverage on ITV1 and dropping two hours worth of adverts. BUT this story has been building for a few days and there should have been at least a couple of correspondants in the region - not just a studio interview with Neil Connery in Moscow. Julian Manyon was in the area but no-where near as good as SKY's coverage.

Good attempt but could've and should've had more LIVE coverage via reporters on the ground.

Also at a tangent - would the coverage by ITN pre-ITV NC era have been any better?

Newer posts