TV Home Forum

A new BBC World newsroom

Will there ever be one and what will it be like? (July 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
Jakarta
I am sure I don't need to tell you, but News 24 relaunched completely in December, following the odd delay of course, BBC World on the other hand just had the new graphics and titles. Over 6 months have gone by and the BBC World newsroom has remained the same.

Personally I quite like the newsroom and over the years it has seen many changes, but I do suspect that BBC World will sooner or later have a major rehaul of the newsroom. This is all conjecture and I was wondering if anybody had any specific information on this topic and it would also be interesting to see what sort of things we would like to see in the new newsroom based on current BBC newsrooms and those of other networks.

In terms of what I would like to see, I hope there is something along the lines of the N24 newsroom, ie something bright and quite open. Holoscreens would be good, but I do dislike how they can look so faint and washed out on N24. With BBC World the news broadcasts only have one newsreader, and they are often shown in a tight shot. I feel you just end up with a talking head alot of the time as no other camera shots seem to be used, I would hope that this could come to an end.
HA
harshy Founding member
I guess they can have a similarish studio like News 24, but with the newsroom closer, I think it's time for a change, they've been in that newsroom for 7 years now!
KI
Kikrokos
Well, as I'm told BBC World is rather low budget. And they've got this newsroom already for so many years. Why would they suddenly change it? Though, I'd like to see something new too.
BE
benjy
I suspect they'll probably not have any more major changes (bar perhaps a new desk and railing, and a lick of paint on the walls) until the whole of BBC News moves into the new Broadcasting House in 2008 (at least I think that's the planned date?). At least we know for certain that they'll definitely have a completely different newsroom/studio then! That'll certainly be a busy time for the forum!
MA
Marcus Founding member
There is a wish to refresh the set and the newsroom. Don't expect to much though as BBC World has no budget!
HA
harshy Founding member
So you are saying BBC World will be stuck there for eternity????????
BE
benjy
harshy posted:

Not eternity - it's moving to BH in 2008 - we know that for certain!

And that doesn't mean that they can't change the look and feel of the newsroom and set.
HA
harshy Founding member
Marcus posted:
There is a wish to refresh the set and the newsroom. Don't expect to much though as BBC World has no budget!

Yes BBC News 24's gets ever brighter, while World is going in the opposite direction, I guess that explains why no one wants to switch the lights on in the BBC World newsroom!

I take it BBC World must not make a packet from advertising and sponsorship then.
HA
harshy Founding member
benjy posted:
harshy posted:

Not eternity - it's moving to BH in 2008 - we know that for certain!

And that doesn't mean that they can't change the look and feel of the newsroom and set.

I hope so, we can only hope they do something with their existing set, but BBC World looks like a poor man's News 24 these days. Sad
MA
Marcus Founding member
harshy posted:
Marcus posted:

Yes BBC News 24's gets ever brighter, while World is going in the opposite direction, I guess that explains why no one wants to switch the lights on in the BBC World newsroom!

I take it BBC World must not make a packet from advertising and sponsorship then.

I don't think any News Channels actually make a profit. BBC World certainly makes a loss at the moment

Of course if the Government had any sense they would fund it from the tax payer in the same way as World Service Radio is funded.
Last edited by Marcus on 10 July 2004 1:29pm
HA
harshy Founding member
BBC World looks like a low budget channel presented in the dark with just enough light to make the presenter look bright, the newsroom on the right hand side looks dark, you can't see the faces of the people when they are walking by!
JO
joy210
BBC World needs a new set, at the moment it looks dated, boring and dull, i feel sorry for the people who have to work in there... its so dull

Newer posts