TV Home Forum

five dumps ITN

and appoints Sky (March 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I reckon ITN might shift some of the current five news presenters to their other productions... The ITV News Channel could certainly do with some of its own presenters for a start. I could also see Charlie Stayt on Channel 4 for some reason - I think he's good, he won't just disappear.
FA
fanoftv
Phil posted:
I reckon ITN might shift some of the current five news presenters to their other productions... The ITV News Channel could certainly do with some of its own presenters for a start. I could also see Charlie Stayt on Channel 4 for some reason - I think he's good, he won't just disappear.

Won't it depend on their contracts?
As didn't Channel 5 as a company sign up Kirsty Young from itv, so with this contract she would move onto present five news from sky.
Would five have any power over this. For example could they say who they wanted to present their bulletins?
So for example they may say that they want Kirsty Young, Charlie Stayt and Rob Butler to move over as presenters, even if reporters were different.
With Rob doing the lunch, Charlie doing the 5:30, and maybe moving the news to 8:30 as it was originally and presented by Kirsty Young, so much in the way that itv has it's different presenters for different bulletins, people would tune in to the one that they prefered. Maybe even taking Katie Ledger with them for spare, or to co host with one of them.
Or would it all be out of five's hands and up to sky?
NG
noggin Founding member
fanoftv posted:
Phil posted:

Won't it depend on their contracts?
As didn't Channel 5 as a company sign up Kirsty Young from itv, so with this contract she would move onto present five news from sky.
Would five have any power over this. For example could they say who they wanted to present their bulletins?
So for example they may say that they want Kirsty Young, Charlie Stayt and Rob Butler to move over as presenters, even if reporters were different.
With Rob doing the lunch, Charlie doing the 5:30, and maybe moving the news to 8:30 as it was originally and presented by Kirsty Young, so much in the way that itv has it's different presenters for different bulletins, people would tune in to the one that they prefered. Maybe even taking Katie Ledger with them for spare, or to co host with one of them.
Or would it all be out of five's hands and up to sky?

Five are buying the service from Sky - as customers they would have significant input into who presents. Some of the presenters, Kirsty in particular, are probably contracted directly to Five rather than ITN so it is likely that she would move to Sky (and the Sky/Five deal would include the details of who pays her - probably Five at a guess)

I wouldn't be surprised if Five got some dedicated reporters - but depended on Sky's main team for overseas and UK regional stuff (though there may be a dedicated Five North of England reporter?)

It will be interesting to see how Sky prioritise their Five commitments with their own rolling news channel (especially with live trucks and correspondents) - they will have to simultaneuous outlets regularly for the first time. (And a small taste of what the BBC have to deal with when servicing News 24, World, BBC One all on-air at the same time - ignoring the added requirements of regional/national news and BBC Three)
LO
Londoner
Yes, Kirsty is contracted directly to Five.

noggin posted:
I wouldn't be surprised if Five got some dedicated reporters - but depended on Sky's main team for overseas and UK regional stuff (though there may be a dedicated Five North of England reporter?)

Sky have said that they will be hiring a dedicated team for Five News of approximately the same size as the one at ITN.

50 days later

LO
Londoner
Broadcast posted:
Sky News has appointed Mark Calvert, the executive producer of its flagship show Live at Five, to become editor of Five News when the satellite broadcaster takes over the contract in January.

Calvert, who took up his role on Live at Five two years ago after a stint as launch editor of Channel 4’s breakfast show Rise, will oversee a team of 60 staff based at Sky News’ Isleworth headquarters. Kirsty Young will continue to front the show.

Neither ITN, Five or Sky would say how many of the 60 will be sourced from the 60 full-time ITN journalists, producers and technicians who currently make Five News, but Broadcast understands around 40 will be transferred.

The National Union of Journalists is seeking assurances from Five, Sky and ITN that the existing Five News team will all be given jobs at Sky, as well as union recognition and benefits such as pensions.

An ITN spokesperson said the number of ITN staff moving to Sky is the subject of ongoing talks.

One confirmed high-profile departure is the present editor of Five News, Gary Rogers, who did not apply for the job. He is expected to be redeployed within ITN.
NG
noggin Founding member
James Hatts posted:
Broadcast posted:
Sky News has appointed Mark Calvert, the executive producer of its flagship show Live at Five, to become editor of Five News when the satellite broadcaster takes over the contract in January.

Calvert, who took up his role on Live at Five two years ago after a stint as launch editor of Channel 4’s breakfast show Rise, will oversee a team of 60 staff based at Sky News’ Isleworth headquarters. Kirsty Young will continue to front the show.

Neither ITN, Five or Sky would say how many of the 60 will be sourced from the 60 full-time ITN journalists, producers and technicians who currently make Five News, but Broadcast understands around 40 will be transferred.

The National Union of Journalists is seeking assurances from Five, Sky and ITN that the existing Five News team will all be given jobs at Sky, as well as union recognition and benefits such as pensions.

An ITN spokesperson said the number of ITN staff moving to Sky is the subject of ongoing talks.

One confirmed high-profile departure is the present editor of Five News, Gary Rogers, who did not apply for the job. He is expected to be redeployed within ITN.

Interesting union point - how active are the NUJ at Sky currently? AIUI Sky still don't want to recognise BECTU...
MA
maximus
It is a major shame that five has dumped ITN like this. I'm sure that if ITN has some of the BBC News money - ITN has six million pounds to spend while the BBC has ten million is stupidity
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
maximus posted:
I'm sure that if ITN has some of the BBC News money - ITN has six million pounds to spend while the BBC has ten million is stupidity

Do you want to have another go at that bit?

In English, possibly?
TE
TELEVISION
Do we know if the programme times will change? I hope Sky improves the news service a lot.

Newer posts