TV Home Forum

Itv Sport: Beyond The Premiership

Where should ITV Sport go now? (February 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AR
A:R:I:S:E
jonty09 posted:
I think you will find Rugby sevens on ITV2

That doesn't count! Besides, scheduling it directly against today's live Six Nations match on the BBC didn't help!

On another note, for commercial reasons the Premier League will almost certainly sell the package of 8 live matches to the BBC. Either way, ITV's sporting portfolio will look noticably slim come the end of Euro 2004, some planning ahead on the part of Mr Brian Barwick needs to take place! Remember his commitment to the 5 key sports ITV were to concentrate on: Football, F1, Boxing, Basketball and Snooker.

5 years on 3 of those 5 have all but disappeared!
HI
Hibee
I hope the BBC don't get the 8 Live Matches they've already got most of the football rights already while ITV have only got the Tuesday night Champions League so ITV deserves the 8 Live Matches.
NW
nwtv2003
SkyTelevision posted:
I hope the BBC don't get the 8 Live Matches they've already got most of the football rights already while ITV have only got the Tuesday night Champions League so ITV deserves the 8 Live Matches.

Ditto, as the BBC has tons of football already and people are really happy that Match Of The Day will be coming back on a regular basis. I think they should sell these 8 games to ITV, as it would save money at the BBC, bring a lot of viewers to ITV and assuming that it won't make Sunday afternoon's boring, as I assume they won't be showing Saturday afternoon matches or Monday night matches? Plus it's only 8 games, so I assume they won't pay much for them either which helps. Plus I find ITV's coverage of the Champions League very good, as they are far better at covering live events rather than highlights.
LU
Luke
nwtv2003 posted:
SkyTelevision posted:

Ditto, as the BBC has tons of football already and people are really happy that Match Of The Day will be coming back on a regular basis. I think they should sell these 8 games to ITV, as it would save money at the BBC, bring a lot of viewers to ITV and assuming that it won't make Sunday afternoon's boring, as I assume they won't be showing Saturday afternoon matches or Monday night matches? Plus it's only 8 games, so I assume they won't pay much for them either which helps. Plus I find ITV's coverage of the Champions League very good, as they are far better at covering live events rather than highlights.

The games are being sold on the orders of the EC and EBU. The eight games are being taken from Sky, and have nothing to do with the BBC. ITV and the Beeb start on a level playing field (no pun intended) with this.

And also, the games are to be screened on a Saturday afternoon from 5.30. Not Sundays, they remain a Sky exclusive, neither Mondays.
BR
Brekkie
I think BBC or Five are the most likely contenders for the premiership games, as the BBC currently have a void on Saturday nights when no FA Cup games are shown, while ITV1 pretty much have their schedule sorted, unless they buy the games for ITV2.

Re: the Rugby. ITV offered superb coverage of the World Cup and I'd like them to get their hands on the Six Nations. Throughout yesterday the BBC made the two matches appear as insignificant prequels to the England game today - with ITV during the World Cup I always felt they concentrated on the match they were screening.

Also, after England's World Cup victory it be good to see the domestic league getting a highlights programme on TV. I believe the BBC currently have the rights, but rarely seem to screen the highlights. Maybe ITV1 could use the Monday night 11pm slot for them if they were too snatch them from the BBC.
AR
A:R:I:S:E
I must admit I've been extremely disappointed with the BBC's coverage of the 6 Nations so far. Eddie Butler, Brian Moore and Nick Mullins are all dreadful commentators and irritate me beyond belief. I for one haven't forgiven the BBC for dumping Nigel Starmer- Smith, and there was nothing wrong with Chris Rea either!

Go on ITV, next time the right come up for action, GRAB THEM WITH BOTH HANDS! I'd also support ITV showing club rugby on Mondays at 11pm.

Getting back on track, does anyone else think bringing back 'The Big Fight Live' is a good idea? I know its an idea Mr Barwick is in favour of, in principle, it's just a matter of getting network bosses to back him.
:-(
A former member
Brekkie Boy posted:

Re: the Rugby. ITV offered superb coverage of the World Cup and I'd like them to get their hands on the Six Nations. Throughout yesterday the BBC made the two matches appear as insignificant prequels to the England game today - with ITV during the World Cup I always felt they concentrated on the match they were screening.

Maybe ITV1 could use the Monday night 11pm slot for them if they were too snatch them from the BBC.

I couldnt agree more with everything you say here!

The BBC coverage of the six nations has been poor aso far and the English team coverage has totally dominated the other matches.

What a damp squib the England match turned out to be aswell!

Lets hope ITV bid for some rugby/snooker/football rights the next time around! Their Rugby World Cup coverage was great, as is their F1.

Newer posts