TV Home Forum

Christmas Ads

Holidays are coming... holidays are coming... holidays are c (November 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
Toys 'r' us got rid of the cartoon car driving up and the kids with geoffrey for a computer animated sequence that starts with stars then goes down to the Toy 'R' Us store. Along with having to update the quality of the advert, they also did it as the star was added to the logo.

McDonalds did a very festive advert a couple of years ago that focussed on peoples christmas lights, with a caption of 'Our Silly Lights are on all year'; I'm not sure if these were repeated last year too.

Weren't he coca cola ads shown last year along with the cartoon one with santa coming down the chimney that ends with the slow gospel vocal 'Santa Claus is Coming To Town'. They didn't show the full length lorry ad though.
CO
Colm
The Coca-Cola "Holidays are Coming" ad was shown last year in Ireland, I think it was the 2001 edit, alongside the animated one with "Sann-a" Claus and the two giggling children.

I'm sure "Holidays are Coming" will make a comeback at the end of the month...
RD
RDJ
fanoftv posted:

McDonalds did a very festive advert a couple of years ago that focussed on peoples christmas lights, with a caption of 'Our Silly Lights are on all year'; I'm not sure if these were repeated last year too.

Weren't he coca cola ads shown last year along with the cartoon one with santa coming down the chimney that ends with the slow gospel vocal 'Santa Claus is Coming To Town'. They didn't show the full length lorry ad though.

No the McDonalds Adverts wern't repeated Last year But I did Like them Exclamation

And Coca-Cola Advert: They had the Animated & Lorry one jut the lorry one wasn't shown very many times Exclamation
BB
Big Brother Founding member
The Silly lights ad for McDs was and still is the best ad they have ever made probably. I sooo want them to show it this year but it will of course be "I'm lovin' it" no doubt.
FA
fanoftv
They should start to repeat classic christmas ads. Some have disapointed me this year. Perhaps its because its they've started so early. Christmas would be so special if shops waited, didn't decorate their stores, didn't play christmas music and didn't advertise until december. It would be magic for them to all start at once.

It's not just the shops are broadcasters like the shopping channels have started christmas, well way back now. And for a few months Sky Movies have been showing two christmas movies, last years NBC Muppet TV Movie starring Whoopee Goldberg and Michael Caine, and Look Who's Talking Now. They are both nice family christmas movies that I haven't watched, as I'm waiting until Christmas so that they make me festive and Christmassy, just like the CD's going into my car! And if Sky Movies don't show these Christmas movies at Christmas I will go mad!
:-(
A former member
Hello,

Didn't the Marks & Spencer Christmas ads (in the past couple of years) have celebrities saying "what Christmas meant to them"? Has anyone got any clips of these ads? Laughing

Thanks.
FA
fanoftv
d300_uk posted:
Hello,

Didn't the Marks & Spencer Christmas ads (in the past couple of years) have celebrities saying "what Christmas meant to them"? Has anyone got any clips of these ads? Laughing

Thanks.

Was it last year or the year before? I remember zoe ball featured on them. I've most probably got them somewhere on a christmas video.

This years mark & spencer christmas ads will be coming out soon, and will feature celebrities again, playing the parts of panto stars. Will Young is to play the handsome prince that wakes sleeping beauty, june sarpong is to play little red riding hood, and Emma Bunton plays Cinderella.

See Article from the Mirror, here!
NW
nwtv2003
The M&S Ad was shown last night during Coronation Street on Granada and I have to say it doesn't beat their previous ads, though it has a good choice of celebs and was that Patrick Stewart at the end of it?

But does anyone have the 2001 version, that was the first time they used Magic and Sparkle, plus it had great music to it, and I think that was the one with Zoe Ball.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
nwtv2003 posted:
...it has a good choice of celebs and was that Patrick Stewart at the end of it?

It certainly was. He my hero. He does loads of BIG budget ads in the states but its odd to see him doing them in the UK.
BE
benjy
Anyone seen the Tesco Christmas ad with Roger Moore yet? What do you think! I really like it - and there are two more shorter versions (with some cheekier innuendo!) to come too. I've seen them because my Dad was the Executive Producer for them.
FA
fanoftv
Nice to see they have the tesco family back, and not the talking trolleys. The stores seem to have gone for big names this year, asda have julie walters, tesco have roger moore, sainsburys continue with jamie oliver, and marks & spensers have gone with will young, emma bunton, june sarpong and more.

But the big news, for those that haven't seen. The toys 'r' us ad has started to play. I have seen it within GMTV.

They have kept the same song/tune (well the first verse), with another new animation. Instead of the spinning star from space, they have a 3D computer model of a toys r us store constructed into a spaceship flying down and landing on earth.

Look out for it! I expect we will see it more and more in future weeks.

Are there any major retailers that have yet to start christmas advertising? I notice even homebase are advertising. With Neil Morriseys attempt at singing christmas songs, which even if they are not in tune are very festive!

A question for those that remember last year and previous years.
I was thinking earlier of what adverts are shown on christmas day. Commercial channels show adverts still, but what adverts on christmas day, and infact christmas eve.

As shops aren't open and people wont want christmas things, so do they advertise for sales, or do you get advertisers with commercials 'have a happy christmas day from woolworths!'? But perhaps christmas eve night more. As shops are shut the following day.
DA
DAS Founding member
fanoftv posted:
Nice to see they have the tesco family back, and not the talking trolleys.

The trolleys are for Tesco Personal Finance.

Newer posts