TV Home Forum

?? FREEVIEW??

(November 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LT
LoveTV!!
Edward;
We got a digital aerial about 3 years ago now, because we thought we would need it in the future.

Quote: "thats quite a pointless/stupid question"
Well I am only asking, anyway, I didn't say YOU had to answer did I!!!

LoveTV!!
PE
Pete Founding member
LoveTV!! posted:
- ITV Gold- they would probably show cr*p like 'calssic' Heartbeat, Corrie, Emmerdale BUT they may show 2002 Crossroads, in that case YES! Very Happy

are you James Martin by any chance?

I'm a bit miffed at the fact the ITV Digital boxes' general rubbishness blights the whole platform when it comes to MHEG.

Digital Teletext had a lovely fast TV guide on which was great on the new boxes but not very good on the ITVd ones. As soon as they fixed it for ITVd it went really slow on the new boxes.

On a similar note - why is the News 24 Multiscreen so slow to start up?
:-(
A former member
edward posted:
that has been on for sale for ages - argos.co.uk

It's been listed since the current Argos catalogue came out, but it's not actually available to buy yet
MD
Mr D'Arcy
I think Freeview is fantastic. I've had it a year now and it gets better all the time. I most impressed with the extra radio stations. And I'm one of the few that actually enjoys BBC3, especially Little Britain and the recent Fame Academy stuff.

The only thing I would like to see is some kind of old gold channel.
A former member
Hymagumba posted:
LoveTV!! posted:
- ITV Gold- they would probably show cr*p like 'calssic' Heartbeat, Corrie, Emmerdale BUT they may show 2002 Crossroads, in that case YES! Very Happy

are you James Martin by any chance?

I'm a bit miffed at the fact the ITV Digital boxes' general rubbishness blights the whole platform when it comes to MHEG.

Digital Teletext had a lovely fast TV guide on which was great on the new boxes but not very good on the ITVd ones. As soon as they fixed it for ITVd it went really slow on the new boxes.

On a similar note - why is the News 24 Multiscreen so slow to start up?

Actually, it used to load incredibly fast on my Pioneer ITV Digital box, but since they changed it, it also runs very slowly.

I actually think that the Pioneer box was way ahead of it's time in terms of speed and functionality.
BB
BBC unTALENT
edward posted:
My favourite software has to be my Samsung SIR-U200i, out of my four boxes - Pace DTVA, Daewoo (Novapal), Samsung, Sony IDtv (I know that doesn't count)

The Samsung has a 'next generation' IBM Processor

And I have kindly provded screencaps as well...

http://www.rp-networkservices.com/tvforum/uploads/samsunginfo.jpg

http://www.rp-networkservices.com/tvforum/uploads/samsungnownext.jpg

Quarter screen for picture; I was watching BBC Parliament so it cannot play it there.

I have that box and I was told that it was one of the best ones and has a larger processor to cope with future developments. I also found out that it is able to receive updates opver theair... thing is, who actually manages and sends out these updates... does Samsung have to work with crown and castle or the BBC to send these updates? Will this ever happen or would they just ask you to buy a new box?

Brgds.
A former member
Ministry of Design posted:
I heard that they couldnt have too many channels on freeview because their technology/systems/whatever couldn't handle it, and that was the reason for all the blocking out and distortion of the picture when it was ITV Digital. I could be wrong.

No, the number of channels is only limited by the number of frequencies that DTT is broadcast on. The number of frequencies is limited by the size of the UHF TV bandwidth and the way it is planned - without the 5 analogue channels - there could be many more channels on DTT/Freeview.
ED
edward
psnowdon posted:

I have that box and I was told that it was one of the best ones and has a larger processor to cope with future developments. I also found out that it is able to receive updates opver theair... thing is, who actually manages and sends out these updates... does Samsung have to work with crown and castle or the BBC to send these updates? Will this ever happen or would they just ask you to buy a new box?

Brgds.

Samsung work on the update, they have to arrange a 'schedule' with the BBC to broadcast the update along with many other manufacturers, only one manufacturer is allowed to broadcast an update, because of the bandwidth. IIRC they broadcast the update via an 'engineering' channel that your box cannot see, on MUX1, where I think the BBC Channels are.

Not that the Samsung needs an update, it's just perfect. It can also be upgraded via the box directly, there's an input that allows engineers to put updates, fixes etc. THe only issue with it is that it doesn't have many of the outputs other boxes have, such as phono out or support for s-video.

Newer posts