TV Home Forum

BBC Prime

currently FTA on Hotbird 13E (November 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
Hello there

anyone with a multi sat setup can currently view BBC Prime for free, it's on the Hotbird satellite at 13E.

OK, thanks

harshy
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Thanks for that harshy - I've just had a quick look, and tuned in just in time to see the end of an old EastEnders episode! They've just gone into Doctors. The good thing is that it carries Teletext, so I've been having a look at that too.
:-(
A former member
what is actually on BBC PRIME ???
DV
dvboy
http://www.bbcprime.com/
:-(
A former member
so its repeats of BBC 1 & 2, why don't they just watch that.
DU
Dunedin
nicholas.gee99 posted:

You're obviously new here, so you should understand that people with big satellite dishes, apart from compensating for something, will watch anything that normal people can't watch and claim it's better. Hence BBC World is naturally better than News 24, and BBC Prime naturally offers more choice than UK Gold, UK Gold+1, UK Gold 2....(do I need to list the UKTV portfolio?)
DE
deejay
Because "they" cannot get BBC 1 and 2. For the vast majority of television viewers outside the UK, the national channels are not available. BBC Prime is a channel owned by BBC Worldwide and for a yearly subscribtion fee (I think it's something like £85) viewers with a dish pointing in the right direction can receive BBC Prime. It broadcasts to Europe, Southern Africa, Israel and the Middle East and carries archive and recent BBC programming and some live events like Trooping the Colour and Children in Need.
CW
cwathen Founding member
Is this in analogue, and is it supposed to be happening or is it likely to disappear by the time I move my 3rd dish round to receive it?
IT
itsrobert Founding member
cwathen posted:
Is this in analogue, and is it supposed to be happening or is it likely to disappear by the time I move my 3rd dish round to receive it?

I think harshy means digital - at least that's what I've been watching on:

Satellite = HotBird
Position = 13.0E
Frequency = 11130
Symbol = 5632
Polar = V
FEC = 3/4

I've been watching a bit today, and there's programmes like Doctors, EastEnders, Ready Steady Cook, Bargain Hunt, Top of the Pops, Fame Academy, Parkinson etc. They're almost all 'old' editions, but nevertheless, it's been good seeing what it's like - no doubt it will be scrambled again very shortly.
HA
harshy Founding member
Yes I meant Hotbird digital, sorry I forgot to mention that in my original post.
HA
harshy Founding member
tsunami__active posted:
nicholas.gee99 posted:

You're obviously new here, so you should understand that people with big satellite dishes, apart from compensating for something, will watch anything that normal people can't watch and claim it's better. Hence BBC World is naturally better than News 24, and BBC Prime naturally offers more choice than UK Gold, UK Gold+1, UK Gold 2....(do I need to list the UKTV portfolio?)

Oh for god sake, my dish was installed ages ago, it's not my fault BBC World is on it.

As for BBC Prime, it's obviously not as good as the UK channels, it's appropriate for it's intended audience!
HA
harshy Founding member
BBC Prime is still FTA, LOL

Why is it still FTA?? Confused

Newer posts