The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member

Aside from that, I’m really struck today that Sky needs to up its game in the daytime hours (after AOP and before Mark Austin). It’s just so weekendy and staid. No offence to today’s presenter but (and this has been said 10,000 times) it just lacks the zing of what made Sky News a brand.

I don’t even necessarily mean the set, but a bloke sitting at a desk reading out summaries on a loop just seems so flat when you see news channels from other countries. Perhaps a predictably bombastic GBN will make them raise their presentation a bit.

That's been my main issue with Sky News over the last few years is that it's become too clinical in their presentation. Don't get me wrong, the journalism is still as good as ever, but it's a functional channel, not helped by splitting the studio and newsroom.

Sky pre 2005 is still my favourite era of the channel.
SL
Shaun Linden

The actual crime I said is standard. The ins and outs of the murder is basic..

8 minutes and 46 seconds.

You're missing the point I'm making. In terms of drawing in audience and maintaining an audience, for news channels, such as Sky News, it's not there. It doesn't have any grab points or points to draw an audience in because what happened was laid bare for all off us to see in the videos of the murder.

You can add emotion to it in your posts. I'm not taking away from what happened, we are talking in the sense of coverage on Sky News and news channels in the UK.

Me saying it's a basic murder in the sense its not a complicated one, it's as clear as day it's murder.

Hope that helps.
BR
Brekkie
I think the huge interest in the George Floyd story means many viewers will be interested in the verdict, but not so much the trial. Indeed broadcasting it live just highlights the value of well put together report on proceedings and in most cases a report replayed every hour with the key developments will appeal to more people than continuous live coverage.

Personally I don't agree with live coverage of trials in order to protect witnesses, and I do think in this case live coverage could inflame a fragile situation, especially as the nature of trials can often mean they are very one sided for a period and then flip to the other side of the argument.
VA
valley
Personally I don't agree with live coverage of trials in order to protect witnesses, and I do think in this case live coverage could inflame a fragile situation, especially as the nature of trials can often mean they are very one sided for a period and then flip to the other side of the argument.

Out of interest, some of today's witnesses will not appear on camera as they are underage.
FO
FOX35
Just noticed Kay Burley has removed the "founding member of SKY NEWS" from her Twitter bio.
TT
TTRWE
Been pretty widely speculated on social media she's joining GB News.
NG
noggin Founding member
FOX35 posted:
Just noticed Kay Burley has removed the "founding member of SKY NEWS" from her Twitter bio.

Yes - no mention of Sky or Sky News at all on her bio - just her son's contact details (who I guess is her agent, or acts as her PA)?
JA
jay Founding member
She also retweeted Colin Brazier recently who said it felt like 'the Avengers Assembling' for GB News. It feels inevitable at this point.
DE
derek500
....and she congratulated Andrew Neil for hiring Kirsty Gallacher.

I've noticed her tone on Twitter has changed recently. From baiting Matt Hancock she's now Tweeting about Meghan's wedding lies.

I wonder with Comcast ownership she felt the need to switch her persona to a left leaning, woke warrior and now she's reverting back to the 'Sack Kay Burley' nemesis of the left, of old?
TT
TTRWE
Now describing herself as an 'Experienced Broadcaster' on Instagram.
LJ
Live at five with Jeremy
Let’s not forget that Andrew Neil and Kay were both founding members of Sky News so it would come as no surprise that both would join forces again.

Without getting into contract details, I would have thought someone like Kay would have a 12 month notice period given her position but maybe longer notice periods aren’t as common in journalism.
HC
Hatton Cross
But she is currently suspended - so, in theory, she resigns, and forgo any payment owing and Sky can't do anything about where she pops up next and under what timescale.

Newer posts