TV Home Forum

BBC Three channel to return in January 2022

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
The most realistic thing that is going to happen is that the channel is going to be the second run outlet for iPlayer first commissions under the BBC Three brand. So you're still going to get first run on iPlayer and then a linear run

If you read the Public Interest Test consultation document, it states that:

Quote:
BBC Three will continue an iPlayer-first commissioning approach, leveraging linear and digital audience touchpoints.

Not sure whether that means what you're suggesting or if programs will continue to be commissioned with iPlayer in mind rather than the linear channel

I think all the main BBC networks are moving towards 'iPlayer first' commissioning - with linear outlets supposed to be a secondary concern. (i.e. you no longer commission for BBC One and BBC Two purely based on available linear slots)

This was part of the recent Tim Davie / Charlotte Moore announcements ISTR.
RD
Roger Darthwell
Do you guys think it's likely that BBC Three will get a top 24 slot on the EPG? I think it would be great if the relaunched BBC Three will replace the ''Local TV'' channels, which show nothing but music videos and very little news
MA
Meridian AM
Do you guys think it's likely that BBC Three will get a top 24 slot on the EPG? I think it would be great if the relaunched BBC Three will replace the ''Local TV'' channels, which show nothing but music videos and very little news

Apparently it will.

TE
tellyblues
Sorry if I ask but I don't understand why this would give the BBC cover should they ever review the BBC Scotland channel?

Perhaps they might spin it to say that the BBC Scotland budget is now still there but they are showing the programmes on more popular channels.

In the next year or two, they could quietly end that spending, put it all into BBC3, and strongly promote Scottish programmes on the channel in the hope noone will notice the missing money.

That is the conspiracy theorist in me.

This is no conspiracy theory mate! Your theory is exactly spot on! In fact almost half of the programmes on the Scotland channel can easily fit on BBC Three!

Not really. Although a format like Mirror Mirror could work with better casting and the target audience properly nailed down.
RD
Roger Darthwell

Perhaps they might spin it to say that the BBC Scotland budget is now still there but they are showing the programmes on more popular channels.

In the next year or two, they could quietly end that spending, put it all into BBC3, and strongly promote Scottish programmes on the channel in the hope noone will notice the missing money.

That is the conspiracy theorist in me.

This is no conspiracy theory mate! Your theory is exactly spot on! In fact almost half of the programmes on the Scotland channel can easily fit on BBC Three!

Not really. Although a format like Mirror Mirror could work with better casting and the target audience properly nailed down.

All right thank you for correcting me and sorry for my mistake
JC
JCB
Seeing as Torchwood worked its way up to BBC Two and then to BBC One, I'm not sure whether it would make much sense for it to go back to BBC Three. Then again, the popularity of the show would provide the perfect incentive for people to start tuning into Three again.

Is Torchwood really that popular? Ive always thougt the general perception of Torchwood was that it was genuinely good for about 5 mins in 2009 but everything before and after that wasn't. I think it's the Captain Jack character that's popular rather than the show isn't it?

I hope they look to the likes of Netflix for successful commissioning ideas rather than here or the old BBC3. Expectations have changed since the channel was last around.

Like what?

BBC Three has more Emmy wins for best comedy than Netflix does. If anything it's Netflix who should be looking to Fleabag, This Country and People Just Do Nothing if they want better local content.
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
JCB posted:
Seeing as Torchwood worked its way up to BBC Two and then to BBC One, I'm not sure whether it would make much sense for it to go back to BBC Three. Then again, the popularity of the show would provide the perfect incentive for people to start tuning into Three again.

Is Torchwood really that popular? Ive always thougt the general perception of Torchwood was that it was genuinely good for about 5 mins in 2009 but everything before and after that wasn't. I think it's the Captain Jack character that's popular rather than the show isn't it?

It got a very decent number of viewers. The first series was a bit up and down, the second and third series were brilliant, and the fourth one is very much like Marmite.

I really enjoyed Torchwood and it harks back to a time when the BBC (particularly BBC Wales and Julie Gardner) were more sci-fi-orientated and left-field orientated than now.

I would love to see it return - when recovering from an operation last year, I went through all of the Torchwood episodes again on iPlayer and remembered just jow much I enjoyed it.
FL
Flux
JCB posted:

It got a very decent number of viewers. The first series was a bit up and down, the second and third series were brilliant, and the fourth one is very much like Marmite.

I really enjoyed Torchwood and it harks back to a time when the BBC (particularly BBC Wales and Julie Gardner) were more sci-fi-orientated and left-field orientated than now.

I would love to see it return - when recovering from an operation last year, I went through all of the Torchwood episodes again on iPlayer and remembered just jow much I enjoyed it.

I'd think the channel will certainly be looking for a tie in to a popular franchise to help boost its (re)opening viewing figures. Nothing like riding on the coat tails of a popular brand, and the return of Torchwood or a new DW spin-off would certainly entice some viewers and publicity. Having said that, Doctor Who's not exactly in the healthiest position right now, and the last spin-off they tried in Class rather flopped, so they might look elsewhere instead.
JO
Jonwo
Is there really much nostalgia for Torchwood? I just don't see BBC Three going for it personally when they have things that are being commissioned at the moment that will drive ratings like the follow up to Normal People, Conversations with Friends.

22 days later

RD
Roger Darthwell
https://twitter.com/reecepsteward/status/1376636833271050242/photo/1 My friend caught this from BBC Three's official Instagram account, where it's now been deleted......all I can say is, it's been a pleasure, I hinted that I wanted to launch a rocket into space, and did just that! Smile))
JA
Jamesypoo
Surely if anyone has got a claim to being the “bring back BBC Three guy” it’s Jono Read whose petition got 300,000 signatories and has tens of thousands of followers for the cause online?
RD
Roger Darthwell
Surely if anyone has got a claim to being the “bring back BBC Three guy” it’s Jono Read whose petition got 300,000 signatories and has tens of thousands of followers for the cause online?

Sure, but then a few years later another campaign was started to bring the channel back, which succeeded, but at the end of the day, I don't really care who is who, the important thing to me is that the channel will return on TV now, and I am proud to have made my contribution

Newer posts