The Newsroom

Simon McCoy

Last day at BBC News (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
m_in_m
Not a really important thing, but looks like someone decided to take the old BBCSimonMcCoy handle to make it look like its an official account when it doesn't seem to be, based on the tweets sent by the user not sounding like Simon at all.

I wish Twitter would prevent verified users from changing their handle or telling them that, if they change their handle, they have to create a new account in order to prevent scam accounts acquiring the old one. Sort of like what Ben Boulos did by creating a dead account on BenMBland so no one could impersonate.

It doesn't help in Simon's case that Twitter aren't doing anything about verified checkmarks any more since Simon changing his handle removed the verified checkmark which hasn't come back despite the fact its supposed to for previously verified users.

Best thing to do is report it to Twitter. If enough people do then it should get actioned.
PE
Pete Founding member
I wish Twitter would prevent verified users from changing their handle or telling them that, if they change their handle, they have to create a new account in order to prevent scam accounts acquiring the old one. Sort of like what Ben Boulos did by creating a dead account on BenMBland so no one could impersonate.

it used to warn you that if change your username your verified badge will disappear and that you should do renames via twitter support. since their latest UI update, it no longer does.
SO
Soupnzi
Not a really important thing, but looks like someone decided to take the old BBCSimonMcCoy handle to make it look like its an official account when it doesn't seem to be, based on the tweets sent by the user not sounding like Simon at all.

It doesn't help in Simon's case that Twitter aren't doing anything about verified checkmarks any more since Simon changing his handle removed the verified checkmark which hasn't come back despite the fact its supposed to for previously verified users.

To be fair to Simon, Ben didn't create that account, I created it when I saw Ben changed his name to prevent this type of troll but obviously happy to send him password

This might indicate you have too much time on your hands
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse

To be fair to Simon, Ben didn't create that account, I created it when I saw Ben changed his name to prevent this type of troll but obviously happy to send him password

This might indicate you have too much time on your hands

It took a few minutes
DA
danielp85
So as do we think Reeta is now the new Mon-Wed host of the 1, and afternoon on BBC News seen as she presented this week? Or is she a stand in for a few weeks while they appoint someone new? They must have known for 2-3 months about Simon leaving as guessing he has a 3 month notice period (unless they mutually agreed an early leaving) so would have had plenty of time to arrange a permanent cover to start from today. Only other person (unless Jane Hill wanted to do Mon-Wed) I can think of is Martine Croxall.
RN
Rolling News
So as do we think Reeta is now the new Mon-Wed host of the 1, and afternoon on BBC News seen as she presented this week? Or is she a stand in for a few weeks while they appoint someone new? They must have known for 2-3 months about Simon leaving as guessing he has a 3 month notice period (unless they mutually agreed an early leaving) so would have had plenty of time to arrange a permanent cover to start from today. Only other person (unless Jane Hill wanted to do Mon-Wed) I can think of is Martine Croxall.

My guess a mix of Reeta, Jane, Ben and maybe Clive. And also Kate. Can't see them appointing anyone new especially if Simon was made redundant.
AN
Andrew Founding member

I don’t think it will become clear until we are past the Easter holiday period. Reeta and Clive will no doubt be presenting bulletins all over the place over the next two weeks.
JO
Joe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_leave
NE
News96

I don’t think it will become clear until we are past the Easter holiday period. Reeta and Clive will no doubt be presenting bulletins all over the place over the next two weeks.

Yep-I think this is a question that won't be answered til After Easter.

Newer posts