The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
This trial has no or little public interest in this country.

Sweeping statement. If you arent a target of the police maybe it doesnt interest you. Meanwhile people across the UK were ripping down monuments in Bristol and dumping them in the river and 1000s Marched in the streets in George Floyd's name and Black Lives Matter...but okay, but there is no public interest. Maybe not the wider public wont be tuning, but thats a sweeping generalization of communities of colour in Western countries that are affected by these issues.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Wish they'd keep the trial to the pop-up channel. No need to simulcast it.

Especially since there is a Downing Street briefing in just about 15 minutes and they’re still on the trial.

They stayed with it so long, Beth Rigby didn't have much time to do her bit, before she was cut off. This trial has no or little public interest in this country.

Nonsense. The police in the UK have had numerous issues in the way they've dealt with BAME people and that's before how they treated women recently.
DE
derek500
Especially since there is a Downing Street briefing in just about 15 minutes and they’re still on the trial.

They stayed with it so long, Beth Rigby didn't have much time to do her bit, before she was cut off. This trial has no or little public interest in this country.

Nonsense. The police in the UK have had numerous issues in the way they've dealt with BAME people and that's before how they treated women recently.

Maybe so, but do we need it on two channels?
SL
Shaun Linden

Sweeping statement. If you arent a target of the police maybe it doesnt interest you. Meanwhile people across the UK were ripping down monuments in Bristol and dumping them in the river and 1000s Marched in the streets in George Floyd's name and Black Lives Matter...but okay, but there is no public interest. Maybe not the wider public wont be tuning, but thats a sweeping generalization of communities of colour in Western countries that are affected by these issues.

To say if you aren't target of the police then maybe you don't have an interest is quite something. The trial was always going to be covered here due to how the death caused a movement and awakening around the world.

In terms of the actual case, its sadly a standard American crime story and I suspect most people, like myself, already see the cop guilty. It doesn't have that pull factor that American media do, where they hype everything to the max.

I don't think people will be tuning to news channels in their hundreds of thousands to watch. If anything, it backs the cause of why we don't allow cameras in court and why we have reporting restrictions in place.
MO
Mouseboy33

To say if you aren't target of the police then maybe you don't have an interest is quite something. The trial was always going to be covered here due to how the death caused a movement and awakening around the world.

In terms of the actual case, its sadly a standard American crime story and I suspect most people, like myself, already see the cop guilty. It doesn't have that pull factor that American media do, where they hype everything to the max.

I don't think people will be tuning to news channels in their hundreds of thousands to watch. If anything, it backs the cause of why we don't allow cameras in court and why we have reporting restrictions in place.

Of course the trial was going to be covered is some fashion in most countries. The entire planet galvanized over the George Floyd murder like no other. No one said people would be tuning in to watch in the hundreds of thousands across the UK, it unlikely that people in the US would be watching in droves as well, unless something significant such Chauvin on the stand or when the verdict is going to be announced, but to say there is little to no public interest is the outrageous statement. And this case isnt just "standard American crime story" (what a horrible, cynical thing to say) this singular one case exposed (finally to a wider public) grievances (that people of colour and indigenous populations have been speaking about for decades) and issues from policing and systematic racism not just in US but in Canada, Mexico, UK, Australia and countries around the world. But again those who arent the usual targets of these cases dont think it matters to a wider audience and no one would watch so why bother because its just a standard American crime story. Geez.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 29 March 2021 11:21pm - 4 times in total
MO
Mouseboy33

Maybe so, but do we need it on two channels?

Yeah it does and its not the BBC so you dont have to worry about your precious license fee paying for it. Interesting to see people moaning about a free stream on a alternate channel. Not like they turned off Sky Sport to broadcast it.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 29 March 2021 11:35pm
PL
plymouthbloke1974
Although it’s good to have a pop-up channel, you can’t just keep things to that channel as not everyone is watching TV via Sky HD. Those with SD boxes, Freeview or cable won’t be able to watch the pop-up channel so coverage on Sky News (main channel) was always going to happen.
RK
Rkolsen
One bit I noticed is that they aren’t taking the two feeds - one of the witness and the other of the exhibits. Surely NBC could have sent it.
SL
Shaun Linden

Of course the trial was going to be covered is some fashion in most countries. The entire planet galvanized over the George Floyd murder like no other. No one said people would be tuning in to watch in the hundreds of thousands across the UK, it unlikely that people in the US would be watching in droves as well, unless something significant such Chauvin on the stand or when the verdict is going to be announced, but to say there is little to no public interest is the outrageous statement. And this case isnt just "standard American crime story" (what a horrible, cynical thing to say) this singular one case exposed (finally to a wider public) grievances (that people of colour and indigenous populations have been speaking about for decades) and issues from policing and systematic racism not just in US but in Canada, Mexico, UK, Australia and countries around the world. But again those who arent the usual targets of these cases dont think it matters to a wider audience and no one would watch so why bother because its just a standard American crime story. Geez.

The actual crime I said is standard. The ins and outs of the murder is basic. This isn't an OJ or a Louise Woodward type case.

America struggles with the concept of news, balance and public interest , that's been clear for decades.
MO
Mouseboy33

The actual crime I said is standard. The ins and outs of the murder is basic..

8 minutes and 46 seconds.
DK
DanielK
2nd last day on the forum and y'all are still delving into politics and the subject of the news rather than, as pointed out at least once a week, the overall presentation of the programming.

It's like a classroom of schookids, told to stay quiet while the teacher goes out of the room, only for chaos to erupt a millisecond later...
SO
Soupnzi
It wouldn’t matter so much if the discussion was about the news values of the story...but it’s turned into a row about policing. I think the presentation-only remit of TVF might be a bit restrictive at times these days, but yes this thread has deviated into other areas.

Aside from that, I’m really struck today that Sky needs to up its game in the daytime hours (after AOP and before Mark Austin). It’s just so weekendy and staid. No offence to today’s presenter but (and this has been said 10,000 times) it just lacks the zing of what made Sky News a brand.

I don’t even necessarily mean the set, but a bloke sitting at a desk reading out summaries on a loop just seems so flat when you see news channels from other countries. Perhaps a predictably bombastic GBN will make them raise their presentation a bit.

Newer posts