The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CF
CallumF
Josh posted:
The special at 7 looks to be coming from B:

Think you can just see on the left of the gallery the set for tonight’s special hosted by Nick and Naga at the Centre for Life in Newcastle which is currently being used as a vaccination centre.
MA
Meridian AM
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=481884113170400

A new behind the scenes video of ITV News during Covid, presented by Fred Dinenage and Sangeeta Bhabra.
EA
Earlie37
Josh posted:

Think you can just see on the left of the gallery the set for tonight’s special hosted by Nick and Naga at the Centre for Life in Newcastle which is currently being used as a vaccination centre.

How odd that the gallery multi-screen feed monitors all have US Elections 2020 branding on them - I'm guessing this was updated for when the gallery was last used and no one has remembered to remove the branding?
FA
fanoftv
Josh posted:

It has provided a lovely backdrop and offered a change to the standard news backgrounds.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Going back to the start of this thread, it’s an interesting read, and one of the good reasons why the forum will remain as an archive

Reactions to the first news conferences, the streamlining of the news channel with the VD Show axed. BBC London and South East joining forces, regional news going single headed and various veteran presenters self isolating. Exercise slots introduced on Breakfast, the 9am live BBC One health show commissioned, the Wednesday evening Salford produced BBC News special (that didn’t last very long)

Stuff that we have become accustomed to now. Question Time with no audience, desk mics used in the news studios, presenters doing their own make up, guests and paper reviewers all being down the line, interviews and vox pops done with microphones on the ends of long sticks

Of course we also had predictions both more and less serious than what actually happened. Many expecting it all to be over in a few weeks or months, but also the suggestions early on that so many staff would be self isolating that schedules would be cut to the bare bones (channel and world simulcasting all day, regions cut to 10 mins, all the sub opts dropped, newsnight, Marr etc dropped, etc etc) which of course didn’t really happen
MA
themagicmonkey
We should probably give some of the original posters a chance to hide behind the benefit of hindsight Smile

This is what happened during Foot and Mouth:

Personally I think it's all a bit over the top at the moment. I still think in 6 months time it'll be a case of 'does anyone remember Coronavirus?'
Matthew_Fieldhouse and The SNT Three gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi
This is what happened during Foot and Mouth:

Personally I think it's all a bit over the top at the moment. I still think in 6 months time it'll be a case of 'does anyone remember Coronavirus?'

This from Feb 2020 aged well
CA
Cardiffian
I actually cannot believe it. It's only taken a year, but finally the BBC have realised that there's no point in broadcasting Downing Street news conferences on BBC 1 in Scotland, Wales & NI, that are only about Covid restrictions in England. Shocked
UN
Universal_r
I actually cannot believe it. It's only taken a year, but finally the BBC have realised that there's no point in broadcasting Downing Street news conferences on BBC 1 in Scotland, Wales & NI, that are only about Covid restrictions in England. Shocked

They’ve done it a few times now have they not?
CA
Cardiffian

Today, and not broadcasting the 1 year lockdown anniversary Downing St news conference last Tuesday (Wales had it's own commemorative event instead), are the only times I've noticed it so far in Wales.
BR
Brekkie
They did it a few weeks ago too. Not too much of an issue in Wales and NI who just keep the BBC1 schedule in place but means on BBC Scotland as BBC2 carries what should be on BBC2 they have to move the BBC2 programmes to BBC1 Scotland.
NE
Newsroom

Today, and not broadcasting the 1 year lockdown anniversary Downing St news conference last Tuesday (Wales had it's own commemorative event instead), are the only times I've noticed it so far in Wales.

Wales have opted out for some weeks already. About time too.

Newer posts