TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2021

New series started on 20th February (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Yes I think Stephen Mulhern seems to have become the Mike Smith to A&D's Noel Edmonds in certain respects.

So he'll block repeats of programmes he presented? Wink
JO
Jon
Yes I think Stephen Mulhern seems to have become the Mike Smith to A&D's Noel Edmonds in certain respects.

And boring people on forums will harp on about it for years!
DE88, tightrope78 and dosxuk gave kudos
TV
Tv2333

Well, Just one programme with too many theories as to why.
MH
Mateus Honrado
Always thought Ant v Dec could be spun off into it's own show, especially when they had it as a team format with other celebs.

You're not the only one. I too think it would work well as its own show.
Stephen is a worthy successor, I’d partner him with a strong female co-host too, possibly Miranda Hart?

Maybe reunite him with Holly?
BU
buster
One thing notable about the "part 1" girl was that it was a "hit" based largely upon negative things that somebody has done. Takeaway has normally focussed on people who need rewarding for some reason in contrast to House Party (for once!) which was constantly pulling people out of the audience to punish them for misdemeanors. I didn't think it was that bad, but they shot themselves in the foot by clearly making her suspicious before it started. And as others have said, turning up at 7pm on a Saturday night it'd be hard not to.
TV
iloveTV1
According to Twitter that whole bit was scripted anyway - it did seem a bit rehearsed anyway, but that confirms it.

(Here’s the tweet for anyone who wants to see it)

SW
Steve Williams
Always thought Ant v Dec could be spun off into it's own show, especially when they had it as a team format with other celebs.

Well, my idea was that when Takeaway was being "rested" and they did the other shows like Push The Button, it would have seemed a bit embarrassing to bring Takeaway back as it would have looked a bit like an admission of defeat. It's like Graham Norton, when he joined the Beeb he did various other shows like The Bigger Picture which didn't really work, and eventually they just dusted off the old So Graham Norton concept, but they called it The Graham Norton Show to avoid direct comparisons.

And similarly they could have recycled the Takeaway format but called it The Ant and Dec Show or something. But I like the idea of Ant vs Dec as a series, you can do all the things you do on Takeaway with the sketches and the comic crosstalk and the games and the audience participation, but you can theme it all around the idea of the pair of them competing.

One thing notable about the "part 1" girl was that it was a "hit" based largely upon negative things that somebody has done. Takeaway has normally focussed on people who need rewarding for some reason in contrast to House Party (for once!) which was constantly pulling people out of the audience to punish them for misdemeanors. I didn't think it was that bad, but they shot themselves in the foot by clearly making her suspicious before it started. And as others have said, turning up at 7pm on a Saturday night it'd be hard not to.

This reminds me a bit of when they did a TV show based on Simon Mayo's Confessions, heavens, 25 years ago now, and in the first series there were lots of complaints that they were rewarding people for doing horrible things, because like here the "best" confessor would win prizes. So they toned that down quite a bit for subsequent series. It's not the first time the opening game on Takeaway has been based on someone's embarrassing secrets, but I think it might have fallen flatter than usual here because she didn't seem to be especially remorseful, and also they usually counter that by featuring some nice things they've done as well, so they seem a bit more deserving.
SO
Soupnzi
I hope you’ll be posting over on the new place Steve. Your insight- and your phenomenal memory of these things- has always added a lot to proceedings.
VM
VMPhil
I hope you’ll be posting over on the new place Steve. Your insight- and your phenomenal memory of these things- has always added a lot to proceedings.

Seconded. Always know I’m in for a treat when Steve posts on here.
DE88 and Steve Williams gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
According to Twitter that whole bit was scripted anyway - it did seem a bit rehearsed anyway, but that confirms it.

(Here’s the tweet for anyone who wants to see it)

Is there any verification that that is true, to me its just a random person tweeting
bilky asko and Ghost gave kudos
AS
Asa Admin
I caught up with the rest and it was a great show - On Air Dares was a lot of fun and the End of the Show was a technical (and timing) triumph.

The little touches like the strikethrough on the credits were great. No-one needs to do stuff like this, but the fact they do is nice.
MI
m_in_m
Asa posted:
I caught up with the rest and it was a great show - On Air Dares was a lot of fun and the End of the Show was a technical (and timing) triumph.

The little touches like the strikethrough on the credits were great. No-one needs to do stuff like this, but the fact they do is nice.

The attention to detail in the programme pushes it to that next level.

Newer posts