TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2021

New series started on 20th February (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steddenm

I see it had the new Lifted production caption at the end.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Stephen is a worthy successor, I’d partner him with a strong female co-host too, possibly Miranda Hart?

I think Stephen could take over the baton, but I'd move away from the Saturday Night Takeaway branding. I doubt it would happen, but maybe they could expand In For A Penny into a studio show with extended pre-recorded segments. Would certainly be interesting to see a spin off of SNT essentially become its successor.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Also, remember that Stephen is around the same age as Ant and Dec - Miranda, as someone mentioned above, is, I believe, older than all three of them. So whenever A&D retire, Stephen won’t be too far around the corner either.

Yes I think Stephen Mulhern seems to have become the Mike Smith to A&D's Noel Edmonds in certain respects. He's definitely a capable LE host - his longevity on Saturday mornings proves that - but there isn't a vehicle for him while A&D are in the position that they are.

Which I think gives two options for him to host a big shiny floor show: A smaller scale summer spin off (to use another crap metaphor, the Ghost Train to SNT's Motormouth) or being poached by the Beeb. (Or possibly C4 for a Don't Forget Your Toothbrush slot comeback?)
AB
AcerBen
He does already have Catchphrase remember. I can't bear him myself but fair play, he's done well.
JO
Jonwo
Can’t imagine Miranda doing a live entertainment show for ITV or even the BBC.

With Catchphrase, In For A Penny and Rolling in It plus Takeaway, I think Stephen has enough shows on his plate without adding a fifth.
FL
Flux
Jonwo posted:

With Catchphrase, In For A Penny and Rolling in It plus Takeaway, I think Stephen has enough shows on his plate without adding a fifth.

Nor me. She’s not a presenter. I don’t know why her name always seems to come up in these hypothetical discussions.

I doubt ITV will continue with the Takeaway brand if Ant & Dec decide to give it up. They’d be wiser to keep the show associated with them so it could return for one off specials or be revived (again) years down the line.

If nothing else, we really don’t need a repeat of the SM:tv story with a nostalgic show about Saturday Night Takeaway in 20 years time where celebs reminisce about the show in detail, but everyone fails to mention the failed relaunch and the slow decline featuring a revolving door of presenters (one of which was Mulhern) after Ant and Dec left Very Happy
SW
Steve Williams
Asa posted:
As everyone says, when you’ve got a victim who’s just so savvy, it doesn’t really work. A fine line between a bubbly character and someone over confident. Rewarding someone who ruined her husbands clothes and the pizza incident with the same prize as the Happiest Minute lot was a little odd. Of all the emails last year from viewers putting forward their family/friends, was hers really the best option? Quite funny seeing Ross somewhat stuck in the roof though.

That's always going to be an issue with this kind of show, you need bubbly, confident people who are up for a laugh, but there is a fine line between confident and over-confident. I didn't think it was that bad a feature, mind, I really chuckled at Ross smashing through the window.

Since this is my last time to suggest it, I would say that if they ever wanted to rest Takeaway they should do a series based around the Ant vs Dec concept. You can still do all the audience participation, the games, the hidden camera stuff, everything it does now, but there would be an obvious hook to hang everything on.
bilky asko and DeMarkay gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
Flux posted:
Jonwo posted:

Nor me. She’s not a presenter. I don’t know why her name always seems to come up in these hypothetical discussions.

I doubt ITV will continue with the Takeaway brand if Ant & Dec decide to give it up. They’d be wiser to keep the show associated with them so it could return for one off specials or be revived (again) years down the line.

If nothing else, we really don’t need a repeat of the SM:tv story with a nostalgic show about Saturday Night Takeaway in 20 years time where celebs reminisce about the show in detail, but everyone fails to mention the failed relaunch and the slow decline featuring a revolving door of presenters (one of which was Mulhern) after Ant and Dec left Very Happy

Peter Kay is another one who is always suggested for a light entertainment show even though the chances of him doing one are zero.
BR
Brekkie
Always thought Ant v Dec could be spun off into it's own show, especially when they had it as a team format with other celebs.
PT
Put The Telly On
That's always going to be an issue with this kind of show, you need bubbly, confident people who are up for a laugh, but there is a fine line between confident and over-confident. I didn't think it was that bad a feature, mind, I really chuckled at Ross smashing through the window.

I put this on Twitter last night, I think the whole “she thought she was going to be appearing on a gameshow” aspect blew any ‘realness’ at the start. She wanted to be on TV as opposed to someone set up by their relative etc.
JO
Jonwo
Isn’t all telly fake to a degree? It’s like those people on Eat Well for Less being surprised by Gregg and Chris is clearly not a surprise
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:
Isn’t all telly fake to a degree? It’s like those people on Eat Well for Less being surprised by Gregg and Chris is clearly not a surprise

When they've secretly been filmed with a camera clearly attached to their shopping trolley.

Newer posts