TV Home Forum

Piers Morgan to leave GMB

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-i-wont-be-replacing-piers-morgan

Richard Madeley says he doubts he’ll be offered the job on GMB, and thinks that it’ll be an “all-woman lineup with a nod to diversity”. Doesn’t really say he doesn’t want the job.

At one point a couple of years ago, it was suggested in the papers that Richard was going to be the main stand-in for Piers. Yet he hasn’t appeared on GMB since February 2020. I wonder if we’ll see him again on GMB ?

I'm not sure comments like that are going to increase his chances!
EL
elmarko
While having an article in a national newspaper.
GI
ginnyfan
Piers' article is an interesting read, especially about his relationship with Susanna. He's very realistic about everything that happened, admits that storming off the set was a mistake but says he did it mostly to prevent himself from responding to Alex and creating an even bigger conflict. Piers seems to be in good relationship with everyone on the show, except for Alex, understandably.
BR
Brekkie
Sounds like a classic bully then blaming the one person who called him out on his behaviour.
SL
Shaun Linden
I'm surprised there isn't more fuss about ITV saying be didn't need to apologise initially, but clarify what he meant.
CW
CraigWills
Piers' article is an interesting read, especially about his relationship with Susanna. He's very realistic about everything that happened, admits that storming off the set was a mistake but says he did it mostly to prevent himself from responding to Alex and creating an even bigger conflict. Piers seems to be in good relationship with everyone on the show, except for Alex, understandably.

Let also remind ourselves the main reason why Piers lost his job was his comments on Monday 8th March, not the subsequent days programme when he stormed off set. While the Tuesday reaction wouldn’t have helped matters and only fanned the flames, creating more publicity and attention to the programme, it was Piers’ comments on mental health that were the big no, no here. Mental Health - quite rightly may I add - is such an important and sensitive subject that you have to tackle very carefully, for not only the person being discussed but also others watching who may be in similar situations. Piers missed the mark on that during Monday’s show. To the point where the meant health charity MIND were releasing public statements about the incident in which they described the comments as ‘concerning’ and the charity were also privately holding talks with ITV about it.

It’s also worth saying that it’s widely reported that Piers was actually offered the opportunity to apologise - privately and publicly, and I’m pretty sure Piers said that he refused to do this, therefore choosing to leave. Realistically, Alex Beresford has as zero to do with Piers leaving.
Last edited by CraigWills on 28 March 2021 8:42pm
JO
Jon
I also think this type of exit was somewhat planned by Piers and he would have pushed the limits until he was shown the door.
SO
Soupnzi
100% to the comment above. It was the Monday alone which sunk Piers. Also not sure how Ofcom works, but I wonder when ITV got the first indication of the vast number of complaints. It wasn’t reported until about 5pm on the Tuesday, but I wonder if they’d been given a number at some point on Monday too.

Either way, yes, Alex was irrelevant to it all. But I get the impression he’s not upset at the suggestion Piers quit because of their Tuesday morning disagreement.
JA
jacob_27

Looks like Kevin & Andrew are back in the studio from tomorrow morning. First time at the new desk.
alexjac0788, Ittr and Matthew_Fieldhouse gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
I wonder if This Morning and Lorraine might get guests who aren't the regulars in the studio?
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Jonwo posted:
I wonder if This Morning and Lorraine might get guests who aren't the regulars in the studio?

Maybe but there's a difference in someone appearing four days a week and someone making a one-off appearance
CA
cal0906
Jonwo posted:

I also wonder when Loose Women will go back to having four panellists at the desk rather than one from home

Newer posts