TV Home Forum

…and finally

News about TV Forum (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ME
mediaman2007
Will the last post on TVF be Asa posing with the TVS archive at his house?
BR
Brekkie
All the newsreaders had better be wearing black on Wednesday.
XI
Xilla
Thought I'd share these.

Paul Clark, a long-time member of this forum who sadly passed away last August, was a talented musician who contributed several tracks for a Streets of Rage fangame, under the name BGM1401. The last few remixes and compositions he contributed are on this playlist, should anyone want to hear them:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPw6mAFdqEDXKGp94G_RLO9idIxUR2w3u
CH
channel4squares1
TV Forum for me has always been the home for me for checking on presentation, breakdowns and of course, anything very rare (especially the Youtube Gold section), while I've been checking this website regularly since 2008/2009, I've only made an account back in 2019, but although I didn't post much during then, I will be sad to see this forum to fade away (without the need of re-recording).

The parts that really got me into recording content for VHS was the 80's night on Channel 4 a couple of months ago and that's how I've recorded all junctions (from 9:30am onwards) along with the first "It's a Sin". Even if I wren't born until the late 90's, I am amazed how well the 80's looked and that's how I've gotten into television in the first place, even if it's just the adverts, promos and the Idents. And occasionally the retro programmes (from my tapes, through digital channels (such as Talking Pictures TV) or via Youtube).

Then there were the relaunches, and I also enjoyed checking through archive posts, like the major ITV (all 4 channels) technical problems from 2008 overnight and how some channels wasn't even able to show programmes for a period and of course, the final day of BBC2 from November 2001.

It has been an amazing 13 years since I've first checked this forum. But i agree that it's time to move on. But 20 years was incredible!

Finally, I'll leave you with some pages from Ceefax. This is Daniel Mullins (channel4squares1) signing off saying goodnight, (Nos Da), and I'll look forward to seeing you all on the other side, courtesy of TV Live's very own Rob.

JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Xilla posted:
Thought I'd share these.

Paul Clark, a long-time member of this forum who sadly passed away last August, was a talented musician who contributed several tracks for a Streets of Rage fangame, under the name BGM1401. The last few remixes and compositions he contributed are on this playlist, should anyone want to hear them:

I remember Paul. He was quite a regular poster here for a long time.

RIP.
MD
mdtauk
This will be my final post here.

I am proud to have been here from the beginning (with an older account and a lost email later). I was an awkward closeted teenager, who thought he knew everything, and was somewhat obsessively interested in TV graphics and animation.

Engaging in conversations here, reading information from insiders, and realising I had so much to learn led me to college and university studying design and animation.

I will thank Asa again, throw in an awkward way of writing SKY | one, sky(news, skyNEWS and sky@travel, and post the earliest reference I could find on the wayback machine, of my time with TV Forum.

Last edited by mdtauk on 28 March 2021 2:47pm - 2 times in total
RO
roo
well this is a bit odd. I think I joined a few months before the great crash of 2003 as lukeweb (and later Barney Boo) and mostly used this place to be unbearable and make shopping telly simulators. there aren’t many things that have been in my life for 18 years so that’s quite a thing, even if I’ve progressively become more of a lurker.

I should probably acknowledge the big role this site played in keeping my little anoraky secret alive, once I found out there were other people out there who were drawn to this stuff.

and having this place in my life probably helped me get the job at the place I always dreamed of some 14 years later (no, not bid-up.tv) so thanks everyone for that. terrifying to think what that 2003 cohort is responsible for now innit.
Last edited by roo on 28 March 2021 10:03pm
PE
Pete Founding member
roo posted:
and having this place in my life probably helped me get the job at the place I always dreamed of some 14 years later (no, not bid-up.tv) so thanks everyone for that. terrifying to think what that 2003 cohort is responsible for now innit.

I spent 13 years on here decrying the demise of regional branding, and then the moment i actually got a job in marketing, immediately set about destroying all local branding and brought everyone under one logo...
VM
VMPhil
This will be my final post here.

Thank you Martin not only for your amazing mock designs but for also inspiring one of the forum's all time great posts (originally posted by Dan in 2006):

duke1401 posted:
Out of interest, what is the general consensus as to when the 'heyday' of this forum was, when it was at its peak?

In 1924, when this was posted:

John Logie Baird posted:
Have just given the first demonstration of my television apparatus, constructed from a tea chest, biscuit tin and sealing wax. I transmitted the image of a Maltese cross several feet across my attic workshop. The invited audience were amazed apart from MartinDTAnderson who said I had not conformed to the safe areas.
JT
JamesTV
I've been more of a lurker than a contributer, as of late, but I visit almost daily to have a read, and have enjoyed doing so for many years. It's rather sad to see TV Forum coming to a close, though I understand the reasoning behind the decision.

As this will likely be my final post, I just want to join everyone else in expressing my thanks to Asa and the mod team for their hard work over the years. A thankless task at times, I'm sure. But we all really appreciate what you have done over the years.

Goodbye TV Forum. Sad
AS
Asa Admin
Thanks again for the recent messages, and farewell to those who have recently posted for the final time! It's been a blast.

Asa and I are around the same age as we were "the youngsters" on the MHP-chat list back in the day (which was fairly notable in a way it isn't here). Being fairly youthful back then it was quite nice to find somewhere that you could discuss modern presentation in detail...MHP tended to be derailed by "bring back ITV startup routines" type conversations semi-regularly.

Ahh, the days of MHP Chat! Yes, it seemed very much transmitter talk and ITV in the 70s. That was its audience, it just wasn't where my interest lay. I remember talking about how cool it was to see BBC One play out the 90sec N24 countdown one night and barely getting a response. And Darren giving a few of us a ticking off for pestering an announcer (maybe Dan Austin?) to play a certain ident!
MA
madmusician
Xilla posted:
Thought I'd share these.

I’m extremely sorry to hear that Paul Clark has passed away. I still have his wonderful mix of the BBC One Circle Ident music with 500 Miles by the Pretenders - he was clearly extremely talented in this regard, not to mention the other mocks and conversation that he contributed to this forum.

Newer posts