Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

(November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AL
AaronLancs
Jonwo posted:
I'm surprised Gnomeo and Juliet is on Disney+ as it was distributed by eOne in the UK.

Produced by Touchstone Pictures which is (or was) owned by Disney when that film was released. eOne I believe is owned by Hasbro?

As the obligatory (takes a deep breath for even mentioning it) My Little Pony fan, I can indeed confirm that eOne (entertainmentOne) is owned by Hasbro as when they purchased it. Hasbro absorbed their own established Allspark labels (Animation and Pictures) - previously known as Hasbro Studios - into eOne as that is the stronger and more well known brand and operator.
JA
JAS84
Which had the effect of causing Power Rangers to have three different production company vanity plates in as many seasons. Saban Brands on Ninja Steel, Allspark Pictures on Beast Morphers (Hasbro acquired Saban Brands when BM was in pre-production), and eOne on Dino Fury.
MH
Mateus Honrado
JAS84 posted:
Which had the effect of causing Power Rangers to have three different production company vanity plates in as many seasons. Saban Brands on Ninja Steel, Allspark Pictures on Beast Morphers (Hasbro acquired Saban Brands when BM was in pre-production), and eOne on Dino Fury.

Five actually. Saban Entertainment for MMPR to Time Force (I consider Wild Force a Saban season though Disney acquired Saban Entertainment during the early stages of production for said season), Disney for Wild Force to RPM, Saban Brands for Samurai to Ninja Steel, Allspark Pictures for Beast Morphers and eOne for Dino Fury to present.
Everything New Coming to Disney+ in April:

2nd April
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
Cesar Milan: The Real Story
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
Gnomeo & Juliet
Mira, Royal Detective S1
Running Wild with Bear Grylls S5
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Volume I - II (Home Video Release)
Star Wars: Ewoks S1-2
Wicked Tuna S9
Bob's Burgers S1-10 (Star)
Grey's Anatomy S16 (Star)
The Help (Star)

9th April
Dinosaurs S1-4
Criminal Minds S1-15 (Star)
Dangerous Minds (Star)
Father of the Bride (Star)
Father of the Bride II (Star)
Filthy Rich (Star)
Grown-ish S1-2 (Star)
Solar Opposites S2 (Star)

16th April
Big Shot S1
Earth Moods
Marvel's Runaways S3
Third Man on the Mountain
Baby's Day Out (Star)
Predators (Star)

22nd April
Secrets of the Whales S1

23rd April
Dino Ranch S1
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie (Star)
Fosse/Verdon (Star)
Genius S1-2 (Star)
Morgan (Star)

30th April
Secrets of Sulphur Springs
Marvel Studios: Assembled - The Making of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf
25th Hour (Star)
9-1-1 S3 (Star)
Armageddon (Star)
Grown-ish S3 (Star)
Nomadland (Star)
The Big Year (Star)

https://disney.co.uk/everything-new-coming-to-disney-plus-in-april-2021

I'm very happy that Criminal Minds will be available on the Star hub of Disney+, though I'm aware that said show is also available on Amazon Prime.
JO
Jonwo
I forgot that Disney had the international rights to Criminal Minds. I assume if the Paramount Plus revival goes ahead, it might end up on Star.
PL
Plektrum
Jonwo posted:
I'm surprised Gnomeo and Juliet is on Disney+ as it was distributed by eOne in the UK.

Yeah that's a curious one -from what I can find EOne acquired the UK and Canadian rights from Pathe who were selling international rights on it. It's also gone to Disney Plus in Canada.

Still appears to be streaming on Amazon Prime in the UK and in Canada via EOne but given it's been a decade since it's original release it's possible Eone's 'term length' when they acquired it may have ended/lapsed enabling Disney to pick up some rights for those two territories.
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:

Yeah that's a curious one -from what I can find EOne acquired the UK and Canadian rights from Pathe who were selling international rights on it. It's also gone to Disney Plus in Canada.

Still appears to be streaming on Amazon Prime in the UK and in Canada via EOne but given it's been a decade since it's original release it's possible Eone's 'term length' when they acquired it may have ended/lapsed enabling Disney to pick up some rights for those two territories.

The BFG is another one where the rights are complicated, made by Amblin Entertainment and distributed by Disney in some territories but local distributors in others like eOne who released it in the UK. I assume it’s available on Disney Plus in the US, Canada and Australia but not in other territories.
PL
Plektrum
Jonwo posted:
Jonwo posted:

The BFG is another one where the rights are complicated, made by Amblin Entertainment and distributed by Disney in some territories but local distributors in others like eOne who released it in the UK. I assume it’s available on Disney Plus in the US, Canada and Australia but not in other territories.

Yep, I immediately thought of that. I'll be interested to see what happens with the likes of Real Steel and War Horse which were Dreamworks titles but was released via Disney when they had an output agreement - both are available on Amazon in the UK - as far as I was aware Disney retained those titles after Dreamworks split from them to form Amblin Partners but I'm not entirely sure to be honest.
MH
Mateus Honrado
Heck, the same can apply to Around the World in 80 Days (the Jackie Chan one) as it's a Disney film yet in the UK, it's on Netflix than on Disney+.
JA
JAS84
JAS84 posted:

Five actually. Saban Entertainment for MMPR to Time Force (I consider Wild Force a Saban season though Disney acquired Saban Entertainment during the early stages of production for said season), Disney for Wild Force to RPM, Saban Brands for Samurai to Ninja Steel, Allspark Pictures for Beast Morphers and eOne for Dino Fury to present.
You misread my post. I said three vanity plates in as many seasons . Those earlier examples were all several seasons apart.
MH
Mateus Honrado
JAS84 posted:
JAS84 posted:

You misread my post. I said three vanity plates in as many seasons . Those earlier examples were all several seasons apart.

Sorry about that. It's just that I thought three isn't many but my bad on that part.
WH
whoiam989
Heck, the same can apply to Around the World in 80 Days (the Jackie Chan one) as it's a Disney film yet in the UK, it's on Netflix than on Disney+.

Wasn't it a Walden Media production?
JA
JAS84
You and Mateus are both right. Wikipedia lists four production companies - including Disney and Walden. The distributor was Buena Vista, which of course is Disney. It's probably only on Netflix because it was already there before Disney+ launched. Expect it to move at a later date.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_in_80_Days_(2004_film)

Newer posts