TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2021

New series started on 20th February (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
Jon posted:
JAS84 posted:
It's a variety show. Magazine shows are factual, like The One Show.

It’s surely a magazine show in the sense that’s it’s a programme made up different largely unrelated features? Regardless, the point is still the same.

Anyway, I’m not sure Steve Williams needs a lesson in TV genres.

I think you might Laughing It's like saying Sunday Night at the Palladium is a magazine show because none of the acts were related.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:
JAS84 posted:
It's a variety show. Magazine shows are factual, like The One Show.

It’s surely a magazine show in the sense that’s it’s a programme made up different largely unrelated features? Regardless, the point is still the same.

Anyway, I’m not sure Steve Williams needs a lesson in TV genres.

I think you might Laughing It's like saying Sunday Night at the Palladium is a magazine show because none of the acts were related.

My point was, whether or not Saturday Night Takeaway is a magazine show or not, and I wouldn’t use that word for it, isn’t relevant and doesn’t takeaway from the point. I also think it’s pretty clear why ‘magazine show’ is the term that’s been used in this context. It’s clear Steve’s talking more about the structure of the show than the genre, when he uses that term.
SW
Steve Williams
Jon posted:
My point was, whether or not Saturday Night Takeaway is a magazine show or not, and I wouldn’t use that word for it, isn’t relevant and doesn’t takeaway from the point. I also think it’s pretty clear why ‘magazine show’ is the term that’s been used in this context. It’s clear Steve’s talking more about the structure of the show than the genre, when he uses that term.

I didn't realise this was going to cause much controversy. Anyway, although I would suggest it was a magazine show because there's sofa chat and VT features, you can call it a variety show if you want. As suggested, that doesn't really detract from the point I was making, which is that it's made up of several items and some fly better than others.
JA
Jamesypoo
Lots of chatter online about ITV daytime shows being a bit strange today with lots of unusual things happening. Most people are speculating it's something to do with a popular Ant & Dec magazine programme.
JO
Josh

Definitely the doing of Ant & Dec.
DeMarkay, HJL and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
TV
iloveTV1
It’s a great idea if it is true.
CK
Ckck1704
It's im a celebrity:GET OUT OF ME EAR
JO
Josh
Nice little read up on LinkedIn about how they went about with the virtual audience:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-era-live-television-virtual-interactive-audience-tom-bowers/

Tickets haven't been released for next weekend's show yet so hopefully we'll see them being released soon.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Awful show tonight so far.
GO
gottago
The Ross Kemp segment was pretty hard work. Seemed to last a lot longer than they normally do, or maybe it just felt like it did.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It’s fair to say that first item fell a bit flat this week
ST
steddenm
Awful show tonight so far.

I agree. Tonight just seems really flat (and I'm not talking about Andy's voice during Sing-a-Long Live).

There is absolutely no atmosphere at all and at some points even A&D look a bit bored.

The Ross Kemp section seemed a bit out of place too. The woman who was "surprised" surely noticed the massive Takeaway logo on the video screens beside here before the doors opened. You could see them on screen as she was placed behind the door.

Newer posts