Mass Media & Technology

HBO Max

Coming to Europe in 2021 (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MH
Mateus Honrado
Aren't all HBO originals are on Now TV? Just get a subscription to that.

AJ posted:
I'm not entirely sure you're missing out on anything much with HBO Max not being in the UK. Originals are on Sky / Now TV and the original movies like The Witches etc have come via cinema to home before going on to the usual ways you can buy content.

Okay, I will admit that the reason why I'm not happy about this is because I'm just tired of the exclusivity stuff and not everyone in the UK are interested in subscribing either Sky or Now in order to see content from them.

I'm sorry that I went too far on this.
UK
UKnews
I don't get it though - if you subscribe to Now (or Sky) you're getting a lot of the entertainment content - as well as much more - from Peacock and HBO Max, at a lower price. Why the desperation to spread things out across even more services?

'Tired of the exclusivity stuff' - how would HBO Max launching in the UK make that any better? Surely it'd make it worse?

I don't want HBO Max to launch in the UK, I'm better served as things are now. I enjoy watching various sports, so by subscribing to Sky I get those, plus the HBO and NBC / Comcast / Peacock content that I want to see. As much as I like 'Last Week Tonight', I don't relish paying extra to watch John Oliver.
Hatton Cross, London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
And worse of all competition doesn't drive down prices. We've gone from a couple of streaming services priced at £6-£8 to multiple price around the tenner mark.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I don't get it though - if you subscribe to Now (or Sky) you're getting a lot of the entertainment content - as well as much more - from Peacock and HBO Max, at a lower price. Why the desperation to spread things out across even more services?

'Tired of the exclusivity stuff' - how would HBO Max launching in the UK make that any better? Surely it'd make it worse?

I don't want HBO Max to launch in the UK, I'm better served as things are now. I enjoy watching various sports, so by subscribing to Sky I get those, plus the HBO and NBC / Comcast / Peacock content that I want to see. As much as I like 'Last Week Tonight', I don't relish paying extra to watch John Oliver.

Agreed, I like the fact that NOW TV has the back catalogue of Curb and Game of Thrones, plus Last Week Tonight from HBO all on the same platform that I can watch other Sky content.

Sadly the market has decided that the content providers would make even more money through selling to viewers than licensing rights to other providers.
MH
Mateus Honrado

And worse of all competition doesn't drive down prices. We've gone from a couple of streaming services priced at £6-£8 to multiple price around the tenner mark.

Agreed, I like the fact that NOW TV has the back catalogue of Curb and Game of Thrones, plus Last Week Tonight from HBO all on the same platform that I can watch other Sky content.

Sadly the market has decided that the content providers would make even more money through selling to viewers than licensing rights to other providers.

Okay, I will admit that I'm the only one on this forum who is tired of the content being exclusive to Sky and Now and the only one who is in favour of HBO Max becoming available in the UK.

In terms of streaming services currently unavailable in the UK due to licencing deals, I actually don't see Paramount+ and Peacock arrive in the UK at all since content from the former is currently on Netflix and Amazon Prime and content from the latter is currently on Now and while Now is available on Amazon Fire devices, it's the first gen Fire Sticks that are exempt. I know because my Fire Stick is the first generation one.

I'm sorry that I came off as antagonistic and I respect your views on why postponing HBO Max UK until 2025 due to the current Sky deal is a good thing, therefore I'm moving on from this.
UK
UKnews
Not sure about whether it’s you being antagonistic, it’s just what your saying makes no sense.

Why is the HBO content being exclusive to Sky / Now a problem when you get loads of other stuff included as well?

You’ve already pointed out that Sky / Now have some of the content from Peacock, so you get that as well. Or would your rather Peacock launched in the UK too?

Genuinely don’t understand!
MH
Mateus Honrado
Not sure about whether it’s you being antagonistic, it’s just what your saying makes no sense.

I will admit that my saying was poorly worded.

Quote:
Why is the HBO content being exclusive to Sky / Now a problem when you get loads of other stuff included as well?

I'm going to admit that I'm worried that they would stay on Now forever if Warner Media does change their mind about launching HBO Max in the UK but I do know that Now has content from other studios other than just WB.

Quote:
Or would you rather have Peacock launched in the UK too?

Not at all and honestly, I'm just going to move on from this and start afresh.
Last edited by Mateus Honrado on 28 March 2021 2:11pm
MH
Mateus Honrado
Audio descriptions are now available on the service.
https://uk.pcmag.com/old-video-streaming-services/132484/hbo-max-introduces-audio-descriptions

Newer posts