TV Home Forum

Martin Lambie-Nairn has died

(December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MK
Mr Kite
Those Carlton idents were decent and far more interesting than most stuff on TV today. Not MLN's very best work but we're talking generally high standards here.
HA
harshy Founding member
Wasn’t the 1999 Carlton ident, Martins work as well, there were astonishing and luckily got to be seen on a real telly even when living in the Yorkshire region.
NW
nwtv2003
Out of curiosity yesterday I cast the clips I linked to on the previous page, from YouTube on my phone to my TV. I will say the Carlton and S4C ones still hold up excellently on the big screen.
IN
intracube
Yep, the clock sequence is some stunning work. A real shame it only lasted 4 years or so.

The 1999 BBC World rebrand along with the studio design and original David Lowe music still stands as my favourite BBC News era of the last 20 years and still looks great today:

A great legacy of work.
JA
james-2001
Yep, the clock sequence is some stunning work. A real shame it only lasted 4 years or so.

Though it did live on for nearly 18 months on the morning news after it was dropped elsewhere.
NW
nwtv2003

Though it did live on for nearly 18 months on the morning news after it was dropped elsewhere.

That rebrand for ITN as a whole lasted over a decade, taking into account the wider branding such as endcaps. The font was used well into the 2000’s and the ill fated News Channel too. You could argue there’s remnants of the 1995 package/style in the 1999 ITV News rebrand.
JA
james-2001
You could argue it still lives on now in a way, as it was the first one to use a version of the News at Ten theme in all the bulletins, which has continued since.
LO
lobster
Mind you ITN have had a few rough looks over the years

So much beige, what a horrible set (funky music though)

And this one

The morrisons car park look, 2009, hate the itn virtual era, looks so naff - and continues to do so
TV
TVVT

That rebrand for ITN as a whole lasted over a decade, taking into account the wider branding such as endcaps. The font was used well into the 2000’s and the ill fated News Channel too. You could argue there’s remnants of the 1995 package/style in the 1999 ITV News rebrand.

The 1999 music is basically a version of the 1995 ITN music. To me it has always felt more Americanised than the 95 rendition.
JT
jolly turnip
The yellow car park look's only saving grace is the music for me.

Alistair and Natasha were a great pairing.
IT
Ittr
The yellow car park look's only saving grace is the music for me.

Alistair and Natasha were a great pairing.

Fully agree about the music and pairing being good - IMO I still think this era of ITV News was the best in terms of effectively providing the news in an informative and discrete way. I also liked how the regions (mainly London because they had it right from the beginning, unlike some others...) looked - they didn't look the same as the national bulletins, but maybe that was the point: what if it was a good thing to separate the two?

Whilst I know this opinion will be unpopular, I still find the 2013 look to be less inviting than what it replaced (not that it's bad, it just isn't to my liking), but I like the set more than the 2009 one - can't help but wonder how things would've been if we merely had a set and title visual change in 2013, retaining the same music and graphics...
HA
harshy Founding member

The 1999 BBC World rebrand along with the studio design and original David Lowe music still stands as my favourite BBC News era of the last 20 years and still looks great today:

A great legacy of work.

Yeah we can safely said it hasn’t been bettered since again I’ll count myself lucky I watched it with my own eyes on a 4:3 Hitachi TV, it was absolutely brilliant the entire package.

Newer posts