The Newsroom

BBC to move more roles outwith London

Guardian report; all-staff meeting on Thursday morning (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Ballyboy
That’s where bbc Midlands today temporary studio was in 2012 & 2017 wasn’t it Mike?. they should’ve had it as their main studio
MW
Mike W
That’s where bbc Midlands today temporary studio was in 2012 & 2017 wasn’t it Mike?. they should’ve had it as their main studio

I think originally that was the plan, others have mentioned how the space which now has the studio was a meeting room when the first plans went in for the fit out. Later plans show a TV studio and TV news space.

When they first moved, the Politics Show was broadcast from that position which is why it's always had a scaffold lighing grid attached to the mezzanine.

Issues with daylight and background noise mean it couldn't sustain prolonged use as a studio, without upsetting people's days too much!
DT
DTV
They pretty much will never use the Midlands Today studio for national programming like Marr etc.

They tend use the former Politics Show area which is at the far end of the offices behind the studio, in front of the windows overlooking the canal, just above where the temporary One Show set was constructed. Often seen during party conferences.

Never pegged that as the Mailbox, always assumed it was rented space like other conference set-ups.

Of course, it'd be better if the Midlands had a satisfactory regional news studio. The problem is Newcastle is the only 'A' grade regional news studio in the North or Midlands, where as the South has Southampton, Bristol and Plymouth.
MW
Mike W
DTV posted:

Never pegged that as the Mailbox, always assumed it was rented space like other conference set-ups.

Of course, it'd be better if the Midlands had a satisfactory regional news studio. The problem is Newcastle is the only 'A' grade regional news studio in the North or Midlands, where as the South has Southampton, Bristol and Plymouth.

Totally agree; look at most BBC spec and build projects between 1999 and 2007 they all follow the same trend; move to expensive place; call it the most advanced broadcasting centre in Europe on its first day, fit a tiny studio as an afterthought.

I do wonder if people saw BBC London News' Marylebone High Street setup as a way forward, hence these designs - we know that Tunbridge Wells had planned a similar style at launch to LDN, and the Mailbox's plans were submitted as the LDN service was starting.
DT
DTV
Totally agree; look at most BBC spec and build projects between 1999 and 2007 they all follow the same trend; move to expensive place; call it the most advanced broadcasting centre in Europe on its first day, fit a tiny studio as an afterthought.

I do wonder if people saw BBC London News' Marylebone High Street setup as a way forward, hence these designs - we know that Tunbridge Wells had planned a similar style at launch to LDN, and the Mailbox's plans were submitted as the LDN service was starting.

Indeed, NBH and Cardiff are the only recent builds where they've remembered to build adequate studio space, in both numbers and size. Although I suspect that, with the former, that was a case of learning a lesson after building Stage 6 at TVC without a single television studio.

It's just slightly unbelievable that, as a broadcaster, you'd forget to include a good sized television studio in the plans - especially when the most consumed programme produced in many of these buildings is a television news programme and considering that many of the preceeding facilities had studios that already looked cramped (increasingly with advent of national style sets in the 1990s). Not to mention that some regions must surely be envious of their far better endowed neighbours.
IS
Inspector Sands

Although oddly enough BBC London was originally going to have a more traditional studio for its main bulletin. The studio area that was eventually used was intended to be just for the shorter bulletins with the BBC Training studio in the mews behind used for the 6:30. I don't think it was a massive space, but bigger than what they ended up using

However the main problem with sharing the studio was that they wouldn't be allowed in thne studio till 5ish and presumably they'd have to set it up after the trainees and teachers had been in. Also when they arrived in the building they saw how it looked and decided they could do everything in the newsroom instead, despite the fact that there were desks right alongside the presentation area.

They had wallboxes with connectivity for using studio cameras all over the office and reception area but they were rarely used.

I always thought it was great and gave it a bit of an edge compared with the usually fairly pedestrian regional news programmes.

Newer posts