TV Home Forum

Martin Lambie-Nairn has died

(December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EL
elmarko
It is perhaps a signpost to his obvious skill as a graphic design legend that he was wrong about that music (IMO) - I absolutely cannot enjoy it as much if it isn’t that music. If you tone the music down, you have to tone the images down I reckon.

But as the years of this forum’s life have shown, we’re all so different Smile
TG
Tim Goodwin1
I thought it would be a good idea to share some of Matthew Harris' work with you on the man

TVVT, elmarko and JetixFann450 gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Martin wasn't a fan of the orchestral news themes generally, finding them too pompous, but he did love David Lowe's work from the get-go. He talks about it more here (from 49:47)

WO
Worzel
This is a great clip...

Hatton Cross, DJ Dave and WW Update gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
The MLN Tribute YouTube channel has uploaded a few more clips today, including ITN, S4C and Carlton. It’s worth noting on the ITN clips, the hands on the clock seemed to move faster than they did when actually broadcast:

JA
james-2001
On the broadcast versions, you didn't see the hand moving around the face, only on the final shot of it moving into position.
VM
VMPhil
Very interesting! A comment under the video from whoever is running the channel says the 3D movement on the broadcast titles was done in post-production. I wonder if they ultimately decided they didn't want the hand moving in the final titles, and at this point the post-production hadn't been done?
HA
harshy Founding member
The broadcast versions looks like a continuity error now having looked at the original with the hand moving.
IN
intracube
Very interesting! A comment under the video from whoever is running the channel says the 3D movement on the broadcast titles was done in post-production. I wonder if they ultimately decided they didn't want the hand moving in the final titles, and at this point the post-production hadn't been done?

Going by the shadow on the clock face as the hand moves, it looks like they filmed at least two versions (with and without hands) instead of compositing them in post (actually four, as there's the day/evening versions). Perhaps they decided late in the day the camera needed more movement but couldn't go back and re-film, so did it digitally.

It looks like they created the effect by mapping the video to a plane and 'flying/panning' over it in 3d, or something along those lines. But as the hands are spaced away from the clock face, the effect might not have looked as convincing; if the virtual camera moves too much or the original surface has a lot of depth, this type of illusion doesn't always work. So perhaps that's why they used the version without hands for most of the angles. Just a guess, though - the two things could be unrelated.

A lot of work was put into that clock model - I wonder what became of it.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
I can see why they changed it, the minute hand moving that quickly around the clock looks a little bit strange. Either way, gorgeous title sequence and I've always particularly loved the way it resolves with the clock face, ITN logo and programme title at the bottom, I can't think of a nicer-looking end to a news intro.
HA
harshy Founding member
Again it’s genius from a person who knew his stuff when it came to branding and design.
MC
M-CORP
What, the Carlton ident? Laughing

Though to be fair, even that wasn't bad.

Newer posts