The Newsroom

Simon McCoy

Last day at BBC News (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BL
bluecortina
The BBC news report on his departure described him as a 'household name'. As much as I like him, I think that's pushing it a bit. He doesn't past my 'mum test'.

Until this thread I had never heard of him.
MrUdagawa and Rolling News gave kudos
LJ
Live at five with Jeremy
With TVF closing down I was doing some looking back and have seen posts from 10 years ago saying BBC News was at its lowest ebb and staff morale was at an all time low.

Unfortunately it is just the case that the BBC is an easy target for tabloid media and Twitter commentators with the easy criticism of public sector money going to the organisation.

Coming from outside the U.K., let me tell you, the BBC is an incredible institution that people should be extremely proud of. Not that they get everything right but on the whole they deliver exceptional content for the funding they receive.

It’s a real shame that there isn’t a counter narrative to the endless tabloid drivel about the BBC but I guess there’s no political capital in standing up for them.

Anyway, back on topic, Simon McCoy was a shining beacon of exceptional news broadcasting. His days with Carrie Gracie on BBC Breakfast were a particular highlight in my view.
CM
cmthwtv
Shame to see a newsreader, who was able to bring light to what is often a fairly dull job of reading the news during a global pandemic, leave the BBC.

It's just as sad to see so many editors and staff leaving as well who, for much we might not realise, will have had valuable impact on the news channel over the years.

As somebody who as been off twitter, watching much less news and caring more about brighter things more recently I am hardly surprised by the somewhat negative reaction to him going to GB News. Does anyone really think Simon McCoy will sit there charing a debate with Owen Jones over whether the Union Jack should be tattooed onto everybody's chest? No. The channels reputation has been made by a group on twitter, from the right, anti-woke squad that the channel will be for them and by them.

Whatever happened to waiting to see what happens?
RN
Rolling News
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
MA
Markymark
The BBC news report on his departure described him as a 'household name'. As much as I like him, I think that's pushing it a bit. He doesn't past my 'mum test'.

Nor mine, and she watches the News Channel all afternoon.
RN
Rolling News
He is a household name , he's been a question on both Pointless and The Chase.
DE88, Brekkie and Newsroom gave kudos
RN
Rolling News

You mean she watches for the news and not who's presenting Shocked
MA
Markymark

You mean she watches for the news and not who's presenting Shocked

Yes, pretty much, the names of the presenters don't really figure with her, except for Huw, Sophie, and Reeta, and that's about it
CA
Cando

It was a bit much for a guy whose most high profile gig was fill in slots on the News at One and I say that as a fan. The media bubble strikes again
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Cando posted:

It was a bit much for a guy whose most high profile gig was fill in slots on the News at One and I say that as a fan. The media bubble strikes again

Not really fair to call him a fill-in on One, he became main presenter of the One, presenting 2.5 days a week most of the year, since Afternoon Lve.
JamesLaverty1925 and Rolling News gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
And lets be fair nowadays presenting a flagship news bulletin most days on BBC1 and 3 hours a day on the news channel is nothing compared to going viral for holding a pack of copier paper.
RN
Rolling News
Cando posted:

Not really fair to call him a fill-in on One, he became main presenter of the One, presenting 2.5 days a week most of the year, since Afternoon Lve.

2.5 ?

Newer posts