TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Jon posted:
'A GRANADA PRODUCTION' just commands authority, it signals a mark of quality and high production standards and values.

Could you just imagine the 80s/90s Corrie end credits music ending then Julie Goodyear saying "Potato" or something else like that?! Sounds tacky!

If it were Julian Simmons voice though, I bet you wouldn’t be complaining.

Very low comment for you to make. Shameful.

The point is, the old regional production names command authority and quality.
Ramdom words like 'potato' dont.

You do know broadcaster don’t commission ideas based on a company’s name.... it’s such a dumb thing to get hung up on.
TI
This Is Granada
Jonwo posted:
Jon posted:
If it were Julian Simmons voice though, I bet you wouldn’t be complaining.

You do know broadcasts don’t commission ideas based on a company’s name.... it’s such a dumb thing to get hung up on.

I'm not getting hung up on it!! I'm mearly pointing out that the old names as production companies still to this day cunjure up trust, quality and high standards.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

You do know broadcasts don’t commission ideas based on a company’s name.... it’s such a dumb thing to get hung up on.

I'm not getting hung up on it!! I'm mearly pointing out that the old names as production companies still to this day cunjure up trust, quality and high standards.

Even Border?

Anyway - we clearly have the solution of what do rebrand UTV - ITV Potato. Wink

(Too soon?)
TI
This Is Granada
Jonwo posted:

Even Border?

Anyway - we clearly have the solution of what do rebrand UTV - ITV Potato. Wink

(Too soon?)

I've not even mentioned Border.

I've only tried to point out my opinion that procuction labels such as 'Granada' stand out as a mark of quality even after all these years! That endboard on anything I see on TV still to this day stands out for good old fashioned quality and standards.
DB
dbl

Reminder, we're in 2021 now - Gen Z wouldn't even know what the regional names are (well just about know what Granada Reports is)
DE88, Jonwo and Brekkie gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
dbl posted:

Reminder, we're in 2021 now - Gen Z wouldn't even know what the regional names are (well just about know what Granada Reports is)

Why is it still on the regional news programmes then? Gen Z wouldn’t have a clue why the regional news show is called Calendar.
TI
This Is Granada
dbl posted:

Why is it still on the regional news programmes then? Gen Z wouldn’t have a clue why the regional news show is called Calendar.

Exactly!!
These old names speak of quality and standards! Just because 'young en's' don't know what they mean is not a reason to just wipe them out!!
DO
dosxuk
I've only tried to point out my opinion that procuction labels such as 'Granada' stand out as a mark of quality even after all these years!

And then you remember that Granada used to run the Moto motorway services Crying or Very sad
TI
This Is Granada
I've only tried to point out my opinion that procuction labels such as 'Granada' stand out as a mark of quality even after all these years!

And then you remember that Granada used to run the Moto motorway services Crying or Very sad

Those where the days ah!
Pop in to a Granada motoway services, after picking up your Granada rental tv set from the Granada/Radio Rentals shop...in a Ford Granada of course.

Take me back to those days anytime!
DJ
DJ Dave

Those where the days ah!
Pop in to a Granada motoway services, after picking up your Granada rental tv set from the Granada/Radio Rentals shop...in a Ford Granada of course.

Take me back to those days anytime!

Granada also ran our School dinners at one point! they were taking over the world like Global lol
JO
Jonwo
Getting upset about a production company being called Potato is just as daft as people getting upset that Snickers isn’t called Marathon anymore.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
If legacy brands were brought back, the programmes they made wouldn't necessarily need to be filmed/produced in the regions the brands are associated with.

In the days of the old regional companies, programmes were often filmed and/or produced in another region.

Examples of this are:

This Morning, produced by Granada and filmed in London
Gladiators, produced by LWT and filmed in Birmingham
Wycliffe, produced by HTV and filmed in Cornwall

There's also modern day examples, such as Catchphrase which is produced by STV and filmed in London, or is it Maidstone these days?

I think it's the Maidstone complex.

dbl posted:

Exactly!!
These old names speak of quality and standards! Just because 'young en's' don't know what they mean is not a reason to just wipe them out!!

They were 'wiped out' years ago! (Other than regional news) We shouldn't bring the names back for no reason other than they sound cool. It's not ITVs decision anyway. It's the chairs of the individual labels.

Even if we were to bring the names back the production company would have nothing to do with the ITV department of the same name. It would be confusing and utterly ludicrous to do that unless there were some deeper integration.
Last edited by Alfie Mulcahy on 25 March 2021 10:32pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts