TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Cando posted:
Who cares if it is or isn’t going happen - it’s a good idea.

No it's just nostalgia, it makes zero sense in the real world

What I find strange is that ITV has various brands that they use for certain programmes such as those shown here. https://www.itvstudios.com/global-production

I imagine some of them are acquisitions. None of these have any connection to the former regional companies, however.

I think the only one to have an association with a former regional company is Multistory Media, formerly Shiver, which was originally part of Yorkshire / Tyne Tees, and still based at Kirkstall Road.
TI
This Is Granada
There was a time when "A Granada Production" stood for a mark of quality, in my view

This image has far more authority than some of the silly animated endcaps we see now a days.
MarkT76, Si-Co and South Today gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
There was a time when "A Granada Production" stood for a mark of quality, in my view

This image has far more authority than some of the silly animated endcaps we see now a days.

What you call silly, many would call fun or pleasant....
GO
gottago
Suspect there is also one eye on any possible future sale of these production studios - having a brand that is somewhat disposable to ITV is probably better than using their heritage brands.

It won’t be for that, it’s just an internal brand. They wouldn’t sell it on as the company on its own ultimately has no value, it’s a brand that represents a key creatives. If a rival company wanted those creatives they’d just give those people an attractive offer to tempt them over rather than buy the company. A Lifted programme is IP owned by ITV rather than Lifted so wouldn’t be included in any sale.
JO
Jonwo

It won’t be for that, it’s just an internal brand. They wouldn’t sell it on as the company on its own ultimately has no value, it’s a brand that represents a key creatives. If a rival company wanted those creatives they’d just give those people an attractive offer to tempt them over rather than buy the company. A Lifted programme is IP owned by ITV rather than Lifted so wouldn’t be included in any sale.

I quite like that Nicola Shindler's new production company is called Quay Street Productions as a throwback to Granada as the old Granada Studios are on Quay Street in Manchester.
DE88, MarkT76 and This Is Granada gave kudos
TI
This Is Granada
'A GRANADA PRODUCTION' just commands authority, it signals a mark of quality and high production standards and values.

Could you just imagine the 80s/90s Corrie end credits music ending then Julie Goodyear saying "Potato" or something else like that?! Sounds tacky!

The 3 words "A Granada Production" be it after drama, news, game shows, hard hitting docos, stood for quality and I would bring it back. Not too sure I would revive any other former regional name as a production brand tbh.
MarkT76 and South Today gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
'A GRANADA PRODUCTION' just commands authority, it signals a mark of quality and high production standards and values.

Could you just imagine the Corrie end credits music ending then Julie Goodyear saying "Potato" or something else like that?! Sounds tacky!

The 3 words "A Granada Production" be it after drama, news, game shows, hard hitting docos, stood for quality and I would bring it back. Not too sure I would revive any other former regional name as a production brand tbh.

TBF Potato wouldn't be making Corrie so it wouldn't happen either way.

I do feel some on here are a bit stuck in the past. A production company's name has no bearing on the content it makes.
HA
harshy Founding member
I would revive Yorkshire Television, Central Independent Television and Thames Television, ooh let’s bring them all back Very Happy
MarkT76 and This Is Granada gave kudos
JO
Jon

Could you just imagine the 80s/90s Corrie end credits music ending then Julie Goodyear saying "Potato" or something else like that?! Sounds tacky!

If it were Julian Simmons voice though, I bet you wouldn’t be complaining.
TI
This Is Granada
Jonwo posted:

Could you just imagine the Corrie end credits music ending then Julie Goodyear saying "Potato" or something else like that?! Sounds tacky!

TBF Potato wouldn't be making Corrie so it wouldn't happen either way.

I do feel some on here are a bit stuck in the past. A production company's name has no bearing on the content it makes.

I know the production company called Potato dont make productions like Corrie, however the random name alone does not stand out on paper screaming quality.

Whereas.. Granada , London Weekend does however sound like it's going to be a production of quality.

If I was making a television programme and I'd heard 'Granada' had pitched to produce it, or if another company called 'wet nappy' pitch for it, I know who I'd go for!! One of them commands quality!

I dont even think 'ITV Studios' even stands out in a crowded market these days. The old names have heritage, why do you think Boots, Morrisions and many other brands have 'Since 1896' or whatever date in their brand/logo. It stands for trust and quality and it's not being stuck in the past like you say.
SO
Soupnzi

Sadly after her Celeb BB appearance I don’t associate a potato with Julie Goodyear, but a banana.
DE88, London Lite and Jonwo gave kudos
TI
This Is Granada
Jon posted:

If it were Julian Simmons voice though, I bet you wouldn’t be complaining.

Very low comment for you to make. Shameful.

The point is, the old regional production names command authority and quality.
Ramdom words like 'potato' dont.

Newer posts