The Newsroom

Simon McCoy

Last day at BBC News (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Surely Simon's notice period is longer than GMB has had a vacant seat so he couldn't resign for it

Maybe he has untaken holiday/TOIL. Maybe he is retiring, (he's 60 in October according to WiKi) Maybe he's just had enough of telly.
I think the GMB theory is 'overthinking' but that's just MHO
bkman1990, UKnews and valley gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall

SP
Steve in Pudsey
Surely Simon's notice period is longer than GMB has had a vacant seat so he couldn't resign for it

Where I work it's not unheard of for people to have so much unused leave that they only work a couple of weeks after giving their notice.
RN
Rolling News
Wow! Wasn't expecting this! I'm definitely watching 1-4 this afternoon!!

I wonder if it's because he didn't get Mastermind Wink
DV
DVB Cornwall

Where I work it's not unheard of for people to have so much unused leave that they only work a couple of weeks after giving their notice.

Actively pursued in some industries by management too, from personal experience. When I quit or indicated that I was prepared so to do, my manager asked that I work through the early part of the notice period and then 'virtually' left in the latter part. Enables any replacement to get their feet under the desk retaining access to the departing individual in the case of issues arising.
HO
House
While it’s a crying shame Simon’s leaving the BBC and I very much hope he lands somewhere else soon (notwithstanding any personal considerations he might have - Simon, like the monarch, has a moral and public duty to continue to the very end), I think it’s fairly obvious he’s leaving as part of the latest round in cuts. We knew that some NC and WN presenters would be leaving as they seek to share more resources, and he leaves on the same day as others.

That said, I would absolutely grab him if I were GMB right now. Even just two or three days a week. What GMB, and more recently Breakfast often lacks isn’t controversial opinions or Morgan rants, but rich onscreen personality and unmanufactured humour. With the right co-presenters, Simon would be the perfect fit.
UN
Universal_r
Very sad news, one of the best at the bbc. I hope he gets a proper send of and not just a tiny mention just before 4 o’clock.
IS
Inspector Sands

Maybe he has untaken holiday/TOIL. Maybe he is retiring, (he's 60 in October according to WiKi) Maybe he's just had enough of telly.

His wife/partner is a BBC presenter in Plymouth so maybe that's a factor too
NE
News96
Very sad news, one of the best at the bbc. I hope he gets a proper send of and not just a tiny mention just before 4 o’clock.

In fact it had better get mentioned at the very end of today's BBC News at one too!
SL
Shaun Linden
There was a big clue when he interviewed Clive Myrie earlier this week. Clive said he was going to miss him.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
There was a big clue when he interviewed Clive Myrie. Clive said he was going to miss him.

True, I just assumed Clive was saying he'll spend less time in the Newsroom so see Simon less
RD
RDJ
His wife/partner is a BBC presenter in Plymouth so maybe that's a factor too

Ex-wife. They spilt two years ago. He’s now partnered with former Dynasty actress Emma Samms.

Newer posts