Media Websites

Digital Spy axes General Discussion forum

Also, Politics and Showbiz (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
iloveTV1
Jonwo posted:
Would be typical digital spy to shut something down because of the negative reception.

It’s such a shame all in all that Support constantly let down the users.

Maybe you should change your username to ihateDS1? Wink

The thing is I don’t, I have an account there and most of the community is good for discussion, but the mods always let it down.
JA
james-2001
Much better in the days of James Welsh, Neil Wilkes and Beth Hart.

Doubly so as the moderation wasn't faceless back then, but part of the community. The only time you hear from the mods now it's behind the faceless "support" account and only to close threads or tell people off.
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
PE
Pete Founding member
Much better in the days of James Welsh, Neil Wilkes and Beth Hart.

Doubly so as the moderation wasn't faceless back then, but part of the community. The only time you hear from the mods now it's behind the faceless "support" account and only to close threads or tell people off.

PL
plymouthbloke1974
Looks like the lock has been fastened... didn't take long between them announing it and doing it. I thought we would have had a few more days at least, not just announce and then pull down the shutters barely 24 hours later.

The reason those parts of the DS Forums were closed was mainly in part due to the snide bullying culture that several forum members had cultivated in there - and you were one of them so you and your ilk only have yourselves to blame that your woke echo chamber has been closed down.
JA
james-2001
I didn't hear you complaining in the pre-2017 days (the 2017 general election and the mass bans after Charlottesville happening within a short time of each other had a lot to do with the politics forum re-aligning) when the politics forum was a right-wing echo chamber and it was people on the left who were subject to the snide attacks and bullying you complain about, which you were happy to participate in. Your problem is that it stopped being YOUR echo chamber.

Not that you were innocent either, you made some very unpleasant posts and attacks on other people, so don't try and play the victim yourself either. You weren't banned for no reason. I've had several warnings on DS myself so I'm not going to pretend I'm innocent, but it's amusing and bizarre to see you trying to play the victim when you were just as toxic on DS as numerous other users on both sides.

And many of the right-wing regular posters who left the politics forum (who also had no problem with the echo chamber or the snide attacks and bullying when it was right-leaning) after it became "woke", as you put it, started posting regularly in GD instead (regularly complaining about the state of the politics forum, while making highly politically charged posts and attacking members of the opposite political persuasion themselves) and had a lot to do with the toxic atmosphere that ended up devoloping in there. BOTH sides were responsible for what happened on there, don't just try and dump it solely on the "woke" left.
Last edited by james-2001 on 24 March 2021 11:39am - 14 times in total
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
I didn't hear you complaining in the pre-2017 days when the politics forum was a right-wing echo chamber and it was people on the left who were subject to the snide attacks and bullying you complain about, which you were happy to participate in. Your problem is that it stopped being YOUR echo chamber.

Not that you were innocent either, you made some very unpleasant posts and attacks on other people, so don't try and play the victim yourself either. You weren't banned for no reason.

And many of the right-wing posters who left the politics forum after it became "woke", as you put it, started posting regularly in GD and continued to cultivate a toxic atmosphere in there. BOTH sides were responsible for what happened on there, don't just try and dump it solely on the "woke" left.

Exactly. Both sides are too blame and are equally obnoxious and self-righteous.
JA
james-2001
Also that similar issues were at least partly responsible for Asa shutting this place down too- he quite clearly stated he was sick of attacks and post reports coming from people on both sides of the spectrum. In fact he specifically said he was sick of getting reports about posters being "woke"- a term used on this very page.
PL
plymouthbloke1974
I didn't hear you complaining in the pre-2017 days (the 2017 general election and the mass bans after Charlottesville happening within a short time of each other had a lot to do with the politics forum re-aligning) when the politics forum was a right-wing echo chamber and it was people on the left who were subject to the snide attacks and bullying you complain about, which you were happy to participate in. Your problem is that it stopped being YOUR echo chamber.

Not that you were innocent either, you made some very unpleasant posts and attacks on other people, so don't try and play the victim yourself either. You weren't banned for no reason.

And many of the right-wing regular posters who left the politics forum (who also had no problem with the echo chamber or the snide attacks and bullying when it was right-leaning) after it became "woke", as you put it, started posting regularly in GD instead (regularly complaining about the state of the politics forum, while making highly politically charged posts and attacking members of the opposite political persuasion themselves) and had a lot to do with the toxic atmosphere that ended up devoloping in there. BOTH sides were responsible for what happened on there, don't just try and dump it solely on the "woke" left.

I was banned long before it became the cesspit it was before it was archived. It was never a right-wing forum and you know it. Don’t try to re-write history. Just accept it’s over and move on. It seems you just can’t accept some modicum of moral responsibility for its demise. Sticking your fingers in your ears shouting LALALA won’t help. It just one less forum out of the many dozens you frequent so I don’t know why you’re so upset?
JA
james-2001
It was never a right-wing forum and you know it.

Yes it was, there used to be a very sizable BNP/EDL contingent on there at one time for starters, I'm sure you just preferred to ignore it.

It's funny how you're having a go at me for "being so upset" when you're so vocally posting on this thread. If you're so not bothered, why are you making "good riddance" posts and attacking me? You're the one who decided to make a post attacking me directly when I never even mentioned you, while claiming I'm the toxic one.

I won't be suprised if you're one of the people Asa referred to about people complaining about "woke" members on here, so maybe you can accept some responsibility in the decline of this place too if you want me to accept some responsiblity for DS.

Is it any wonder both sites are closing down?
PL
plymouthbloke1974
Calm down petal. I don’t discuss politics or anything else other than TV/Radio/Media etc on here so don’t get your knickers in a twist.

You know it wasn’t right wing pre-2017… look at the 2015 General Election thread for example where everyone was predicting a Labour win or Labour/LD pact… how many people threw hissy fits when the conservatives won?

You seem to have a completely blinkered view of the DS forum and can’t see that’s it always been nothing but far-left (almost Marxist) dross. Or at least 95% of it was.

I’m allowed an opinion just as much as you. Difference is that every other forum platform out there isn’t as totalitarian as DS so you’re going to find people disagreeing with you and standing up to the likes of you in the real world, something DS protected you and you cohorts from. The amount of hypocrisy, double standards and “playing the victim” from yourself is disgraceful. Anyone can view those threads and see how snide, rude, arrogant and condescending you could be at times but play the victim (and probably reported them) when the other person bit back.
Last edited by plymouthbloke1974 on 24 March 2021 12:35pm - 4 times in total
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
It was never a right-wing forum and you know it.

Yes it was, there used to be a very sizable BNP/EDL contingent on there at one time for starters, I'm sure you just preferred to ignore it.

That's the type of poisonous statement that puts people off.

You're accusing plymouthbloke1974 of tolerating a "very sizable BNP/EDL contingent" with the implicit suggestion being that he ignored it because he somehow sympathised with their views.

Whether he does or not (and I suspect not), that's the toxic **** that's poisoning the internet and public life in general.

"If you don't agree with me, then you must be a...." Predictable, insulting, low-grade **** response.
EM
Emily Moore
I had reason the other day to look at a DS thread from 2005 or so (looking for information on a radio station from that time), and it struck me how nice and civilised it all was compared to the current s***show. I think it's a change in wider society, not just a "DS thing".

Newer posts