The Newsroom

BBC to move more roles outwith London

Guardian report; all-staff meeting on Thursday morning (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MW
Mike W
I'm not sure anybody has said we're getting regional news in HD. I feel it's more about getting BBC One HD on LCN 1/101, the regional news may well be upscaled at least in the first instance.

Yes, if the studio isn't upgraded to output HD, up converting it from SD isn't a problem. They won't hold up the whole project just because one region isn't SD.... there'll be plenty of other things that will delay it Wink

Are there any similarities between the switch to 16:9 which basically seemed to be if they moved premises or were a new service they switched to widescreen, then upgrades were piecemeal region by region based on equipment dying off (not counting sub-opts, I think Look Newcastle was the last to switch in around 2006/7? NWT were also quite late, despite being a network centre as well with the switch happening 2005/6).
IS
Inspector Sands
The one thing about this that makes absolutely no sense to me at all is moving the World Service Business Unit to Salford. Because London is the home of the LSE, and is the major business centre in the UK. Moving the Business Unit to Salford just seems dumb.

Also, moving Radio 3 to Salford seems a little weird. Why not do what they're doing with other radio stations and having parts of the output produced in other regions and nations.

Yes the business unit to Salford is a bit of an odd choice but then does it really matter where they go? It's not as if the CEOs of companies or others they have on as guests ever come into the studio in W1 now. Could really be anywhere.

Also consider that a lot of its output is on 5 Live and Breakfast, both Salford based. I'm not sure where Wake Up To Money comes from nowadays, think its Salford.

Radio 3 there is a bit of an odd one. They never said that it's moving totally to Salford, like 6 Music it'll be based there, there'll still be a lot of programmes coming from London.

Salford does seem an odd choice until you remember that the Philharmonic are based there so it isn't as random as it sounds at firsf
MarkT76 and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
MI
m_in_m
The most significant point of Radio 3 moving seems to be to encourage The Proms to be less London centric in future.
JO
Jonwo
The most significant point of Radio 3 moving seems to be to encourage The Proms to be less London centric in future.

Can't see the Proms fully moving to another location, it's a big money spinner for the Royal Albert Hall, perhaps have spin off concerts at the Lowry or another venue elsewhere but moving it wholesale isn't likely.
MI
m_in_m
Jonwo posted:

Can't see the Proms fully moving to another location, it's a big money spinner for the Royal Albert Hall, perhaps have spin off concerts at the Lowry or another venue elsewhere but moving it wholesale isn't likely.

Indeed I can't see it leaving London entirely but more concerts outside of London surely will be on the cards.
AP
AndrewPSSP
I think it's begun on Today. Nick Robinson is in Newcastle, and Mishal Husain is in London.
Sounds like a bit of a mouthful for Mishal to say.

(although I think Nick lives somewhere up North anyways, he was in one of the cities when broadcasting from home)
MI
m_in_m
I think it's begun on Today. Nick Robinson is in Newcastle, and Mishal Husain is in London.
Sounds like a bit of a mouthful for Mishal to say.

(although I think Nick lives somewhere up North anyways, he was in one of the cities when broadcasting from home)

Nick is presenting the BBC One Lockdown One Year On programme this evening which is coming from Newcastle I think.
NE
News96
Yep-It's with him and Naga Muchetty from 7:00pm tonight on BBC1 which is why i'm a tad surprised the News Channel is not showing it (at least they weren't the last time the NC listings.)
LX
lxflyer
The one thing about this that makes absolutely no sense to me at all is moving the World Service Business Unit to Salford. Because London is the home of the LSE, and is the major business centre in the UK. Moving the Business Unit to Salford just seems dumb.

Also, moving Radio 3 to Salford seems a little weird. Why not do what they're doing with other radio stations and having parts of the output produced in other regions and nations.

Yes the business unit to Salford is a bit of an odd choice but then does it really matter where they go? It's not as if the CEOs of companies or others they have on as guests ever come into the studio in W1 now. Could really be anywhere.

Also consider that a lot of its output is on 5 Live and Breakfast, both Salford based. I'm not sure where Wake Up To Money comes from nowadays, think its Salford.

Radio 3 there is a bit of an odd one. They never said that it's moving totally to Salford, like 6 Music it'll be based there, there'll still be a lot of programmes coming from London.

Salford does seem an odd choice until you remember that the Philharmonic are based there so it isn't as random as it sounds at firsf

Is it not only the BBC World Service radio business that is moving to Salford, not the entire business unit, as you’re implying, which frankly makes no sense to me whatsoever.
AP
AndrewPSSP
Is it not only the BBC World Service radio business that is moving to Salford, not the entire business unit, as you’re implying, which frankly makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Of all the units to be moved to Salford, why the World Service? Surely that's the one department where a "London-centric" bias is more important?
"Live from Salford" doesn't really seem to hold the same authority as "Live from London"..
DE88, MarkT76 and Newsroom gave kudos
OM
Omnipresent
The business news on Today on Radio 4 will also move to Salford, and Today is losing its own dedicated business reporter Dominic O'Connell.

It seems completely unnecessary to split up programme teams and as morning business news in particular is driven by the official announcements to the stock exchange, I don't see what moving to Salford will add.
MA
Markymark
The business news on Today on Radio 4 will also move to Salford, .

Probably better to move it to Amsterdam or Frankfurt !

Newer posts