TV Home Forum

Have you been in a TV audience?

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TG
TG
We did QI about eighteen months ago, the first I'd done at the new TVC, and what was interesting is that while on Alien Fun Capsule they were very security conscious and if people took photos they'd be told off and asked to delete them there and then, at QI people were happily taking photos pretty much right up to they did a take, it was all very relaxed and informal, certainly not how it used to be

It was the same when QI was still at TLS - the warmup actually encouraged it up until the moment Sandi and the teams came out. Best they let people get their pictures properly when the time suited, rather than trying to be all cloak and dagger about it, seemed to be the production team's view.
DE88 and Steve Williams gave kudos
JL
JamesLaverty1925

COUNTDOWN- Media City 2014-present
At one point I was a frequent visitor to the Countdown audience, still try and go every so often. Love the programme and the audience are well looked after. Presenters and guests frequently interact with audience and chat.

MASTERMIND- Media City 2014, 2016
Went twice. Same studio, and a lot of the same team as Countdown, but was a lot more formal. John Humphrys a lot less chatty, you had to move inbetween every episode to make the audience look different as well.

Have Countdown stopped shuffling the audience around? There's a video on Greg Scott's YouTube with part of his warm up routine and him explaining that people would be moving seats a lot.

Depends. They have a short break in between episodes (and a longer one between the second and third ep of the session), and a few people sometimes change seats but no official shuffling. If multiple episodes had go to the audience for the conundrum, they'll shuffle at the end to make it look different.
HC
Hatton Cross
Jonwo posted:

With Tipping Point, the noise of the counters is added later as they're made of plastic.

That, and the more important task of hiding the constant 'hiss' of the pneumatic pistons that move the shelves in the machine.
GS
Gary_S
I was in the audience for Strictly way back in 2012. Was sat behind the judges, got to see all the comings and goings.
DV
dvboy
I was in the audience for Strictly way back in 2012. Was sat behind the judges, got to see all the comings and goings.

My auntie has done Strictly, she said it was such a long day she wouldn't do it again!
JO
Josh
Your auntie was on Strictly? How was it? Was the rumba hard?
JO
Jonwo
Someone I know went to a Dancing on Ice rehearsal and said the studio was very cold.
BA
bilky asko
Jonwo posted:
Someone I know went to a Dancing on Ice rehearsal and said the studio was very cold.

You'd never guess with all that ice about.
JA
james-2001
Though I go ice skating weekly (or at least I do in non covid times), and I've been to several ice rinks, and they're all warmer than you'd expect.

Maybe they need to be doubly sure with a TV studio so the lights and things won't melt the ice.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I suspect in a normal indoor environment an ice rink would become a swimming pool relatively quickly, never mind pouring more heat on it from lights and whatever else.

No I believe most ice rinks are effectively big holes and anything "ice" like sits on the top surface, but I'm sure there's some clever method of making it and keeping it ice like without the need to have an ambient temperature of -18. Pretty sure its a similar technology to the freezer in your kitchen.
UB
UBox
No I believe most ice rinks are effectively big holes and anything "ice" like sits on the top surface, but I'm sure there's some clever method of making it and keeping it ice like without the need to have an ambient temperature of -18. Pretty sure its a similar technology to the freezer in your kitchen.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9lv57EFfiU/?igshid=14oew3a4txm4n It looks like they use a cooled tube running through the ice to keep the temperature low (effectively reverse under-floor heating) based on this picture from the company who supply the ice for DOI.

On the topic of the thread I'm sadly yet to make it into a TV audience - being up North makes it a bit difficult. I've applied for QT a few times to no reply but was in the audience for Any Questions last year just before lockdown. Done quite a few of the BBC Studio tours before - Newcastle, Salford and NBH
WI
Willz
UBox posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9lv57EFfiU/?igshid=14oew3a4txm4n It looks like they use a cooled tube running through the ice to keep the temperature low (effectively reverse under-floor heating) based on this picture from the company who supply the ice for DOI.

On the topic of the thread I'm sadly yet to make it into a TV audience - being up North makes it a bit difficult. I've applied for QT a few times to no reply but was in the audience for Any Questions last year just before lockdown. Done quite a few of the BBC Studio tours before - Newcastle, Salford and NBH

What were the tours like? I was gonna go to Pacific Quay in march last year but lockdown happened.

Newer posts