TV Home Forum

New BBC One North

But what is North? Manchester or Hull, Newcastle or Cumbria? (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
'They'd be right'? There's no official, right definition of what 'the North' is is there.

I believe it's anywhere on the A1 that's north of Peterborough. Wink
MA
Markymark
'They'd be right'? There's no official, right definition of what 'the North' is is there.

I believe it's anywhere on the A1 that's north of Peterborough. Wink

I've always taken the M4 as the dividing line 😎
JO
Josh
And here are our map correspondents Jay Foreman and Mark Cooper-Jones to tell us more:
RO
robertclark125
I would classify the north as being the following counties; Northumberland, Cumbria, Tyne and Wear, Durham, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, what was Cleveland, North, South, West Yorkshire, East Ridings of Yorkshire, and Cheshire.

I use that as a guide, as I believe in the days of the old RFU Divisional championship, and in amateur days, when the divisions played touring sides, those counties were classified as the North by the RFU.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I would classify the north as being the following counties; Northumberland, Cumbria, Tyne and Wear, Durham, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, what was Cleveland, North, South, West Yorkshire, East Ridings of Yorkshire, and Cheshire.

I use that as a guide, as I believe in the days of the old RFU Divisional championship, and in amateur days, when the divisions played touring sides, those counties were classified as the North by the RFU.

I would also include North Lincolnshire and NE Lincolnshire into that (i.e the former Humberside)
CO
commseng
We are never going to nail down a definition of what the North is here, I suspect the BBC will have to just go by using the coverage from the transmitters that make up the four existing areas, even if some towns on the edge can't agree.
Will it be money well spent for the difference it will make on screen is the bigger question, and one that sadly won't be answered on this forum as the calendar counts down.
MA
Meridian AM
This is northern England:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England#/media/File%3ANorthern_England.svg

It consists of the "North West", "North East" and "Yorkshire and Humber" political regions.

Lincolnshire (except N and NE Lincs) is in the "East Midlands" and I doubt many people south of Lincoln would consider themselves as 'northern'!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England
Last edited by Meridian AM on 21 March 2021 5:44pm - 2 times in total
CO
commseng
So that settles it. Grimsby is in the Midlands...... Shocked
MA
Meridian AM

No. The two districts of North and North East Lincolnshire are actually part of the "Yorkshire and Humber" government region.

Lincolnshire, except N and NE Lincs, is "East Midlands".
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Josh posted:
And here are our map correspondents Jay Foreman and Mark Cooper-Jones to tell us more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENeCYwms-Cc

That first answer is a bit suspicious to me... I wonder why? Wink

(And listen out for Jay voicing trailers on Dave)
SC
Si-Co

No. The two districts of North and North East Lincolnshire are actually part of the "Yorkshire and Humber" government region.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I remember a question on Fifteen to One about a “bridge in the east of England”, the answer being the Humber Bridge. I probably wouldn’t have got the question right because I don’t consider Hull or what was Humberside to be in the “east of England” - to me that refers to East Anglia (roughly the current Anglia TV area). Geographically I suppose Hull is in the East, but by that definition so are Berwick and Dover!
MA
Meridian AM
Si-Co posted:

I’ve mentioned this before, but I remember a question on Fifteen to One about a “bridge in the east of England”, the answer being the Humber Bridge. I probably wouldn’t have got the question right because I don’t consider Hull or what was Humberside to be in the “east of England” - to me that refers to East Anglia (roughly the current Anglia TV area). Geographically I suppose Hull is in the East, but by that definition so are Berwick and Dover!

Yes, it'll be because they are on the east coast.

Newer posts