TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2021

New series started on 20th February (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DM
DeMarkay
How did they get the BBC onboard to let them use the CBeebies branding?
JO
Josh
They cover the BBC Studioworks logo in the building but prominently use CBeebies in one of their Undercovers. Makes sense.
Castries and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
DB
dbl
It's all cool beans

JB
JasonB
A very faithful recreation of the Chums set!
CF
CallumF
Different era Razz so can’t say I know from watching this when it originally aired - but how was Chums received at the time given it was based around Friends - a sitcom aimed at adults which isn’t necessarily always appropriate for kids - then this aired as part of a weekend morning children’s TV slot?
JO
Josh
See you in 2041 then for more!
TV
iloveTV1
Was that Chums bit live? The ‘Live’ DOG wasn’t in the top corner.
JO
Josh
Was that Chums bit live? The ‘Live’ DOG wasn’t in the top corner.

It was all pre-recorded from Romesh's coming up sequence into the break until the end of the show.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
I don't think most, if not all of the End of the Show Shows have been live this year, I imagine it's a lot safer at the moment to pre-record them rather than getting them set up in a matter of minutes.
JB
JasonB
The Chums theme tune sounded slightly off, did they remix it?
FL
Flux
Different era Razz so can’t say I know from watching this when it originally aired - but how was Chums received at the time given it was based around Friends - a sitcom aimed at adults which isn’t necessarily always appropriate for kids - then this aired as part of a weekend morning children’s TV slot?

Saturday Morning TV was different back then. SM:tv especially understood that a bulk of its audience was parents and hungover students, so it was accepted that there would be references and gags which went over kids’ heads. Then it all got very politically correct and kids TV became very “safe”. Friends was also such a phenomenon that it broke through culturally, and you didn’t exactly need to know the show to understand the spoof. It worked whether you knew Friends or not, but if you were an older fan of Friends it gave it an extra little knowing nod.

Personally, whilst I think there should always be “safe” children’s programmes, I also think a family show is something kids TV should embrace again. Like pantomimes at Christmas, you can entertain all ages if you’re clever and make sure the humour isn’t blunt and offensive, and in the process you could attract viewers of any age.
JB
JasonB
In case anyone missed the Chums special:

Newer posts