TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
Colm
Wasn't it usually at Lime Grove after the move from Manchester until the move to colour?

I believe so; I can't track down definite dates for how long that was the case.
Last edited by Colm on 6 March 2021 3:47pm

10 days later

JA
james-2001
I've noticed on the iPlayer, on most recent episodes, the preview picture has changed from a high quality scan of a photo taken on set to a screenshot from the episode itself- with the obvious muddy picture quality. I wonder, did they stop taking photos of the acts on set around this time, which is why the iPlayer now has to use blurry screen captures instead?
DE
DE88
Tonight's second episode - 25 October '90 - features Belinda Carlisle performing "(We Want) The Same Thing" in something quite befitting of her style at the time.

This performance featured in the 24 November '99 episode of TOTP2 (which, famously, got more viewers than that week's regular TOTP, also shown on BBC2 due to Children in Need). And despite being only 11 at the time, I can still remember what Wrighty said about what Belinda wore: "I thought she was going to take it off."

Is it fair to say that if he made this remark in this day and age he'd face the sack? (I'd like to think Belinda herself wouldn't mind that much - she certainly has some sense of humour.)
MU
mumu03
I've noticed on the iPlayer, on most recent episodes, the preview picture has changed from a high quality scan of a photo taken on set to a screenshot from the episode itself- with the obvious muddy picture quality. I wonder, did they stop taking photos of the acts on set around this time, which is why the iPlayer now has to use blurry screen captures instead?

The quality of some of them is so poor to the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if they were sourcing these screenshots from YouTube uploads - one of Timmy Mallett a few weeks ago looked as if it had came from an off-air recording...
JA
jaymadz
We can't be far off of the BBC operated 'cypher graphics' returning now surely?
MU
mumu03
We should have them back by the end of April with the Christmas edition, potential scheduling differences notwithstanding of course.
JA
james-2001
Stan Appel's produced and directed the last few episodes, Paul Ciani stopped producing every year from around August or September until the end of the year while he was in charge for whatever reason.
SW
Steve Williams
Stan Appel's produced and directed the last few episodes, Paul Ciani stopped producing every year from around August or September until the end of the year while he was in charge for whatever reason.

Ciani is back next week, and produces every episode from then until his departure in April 1991, including his one and only Christmas show.
DE88, tightrope78 and Tv2333 gave kudos
MU
mumu03

I would think Ciani had other work commitments in the Autumn, much like Michael Hurll did with the Late Late Breakfast Show in the 80s - IIRC Brian Whitehouse produced some or most of the Autumn 1981, 82, and 83 shows, and also did a few in 84 alongside Appel. By the end of 85 they were likely producing more shows than Hurll was, although he would still receive an Executive Producer credit most of the time.
DE88 and tightrope78 gave kudos

Newer posts