The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MH
Mateus Honrado
Here's the July 31, 1999 newscast of Último Jornal from SIC.

And here's the October 30, 2002 newscast of Jornal Nacional from TVI.
DV
DVB Cornwall
RUV Iceland has suspended it's second channel to cover the Volcano eruption on the Iceland today live feed here

https://www.ruv.is/sjonvarp/beint/ruv2

Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 20 March 2021 10:50pm
HC
Hatton Cross
Instantly, more watchable than anything on Channel 5 over the past year..
MA
Markymark
Instantly, more watchable than anything on Channel 5 over the past year..

Yes, but do bear in mind, this a country that didn't used to have any telly on Thursdays (in order to keep the idea of family conversations alive, something not without merit)
Quatorzine Neko, Hatton Cross and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall
Picture from RUV2 a few mins ago

MA
Markymark
Picture from RUV2 a few mins ago

I look forward to the subtitled version on BBC 4 soon
RD
RDJ
I do like that RUV still uses ‘888’ as its Subtitles tag. Are they still using analogue teletext?
HC
Hatton Cross

Yes, but do bear in mind, this a country that didn't used to have any telly on Thursdays (in order to keep the idea of family conversations alive, something not without merit)

I've been to Iceland twice. Love the country, so beautiful, but so expensive.

And, just spend 10 minutes learning about the Geological things going on under your feet, and you realise the whole country could blow apart at any time.

These pictures are clearly not from a locked out PSC connected to a OB truck, and is a webcam. Presumably camera powered from a nearby dwelling, and the signal send back to RUV HQ via 4G or tapping into a wifi connection?
W1
w1a
RDJ posted:
I do like that RUV still uses ‘888’ as its Subtitles tag. Are they still using analogue teletext?

Ever so slightly off topic but I watched the San Remo Song Festival from Italy a few weeks ago and was surprised to see 'televideo' (their teletext) pages referenced for the T&Cs for voting before the website. Not sure how many European nations are still running that type of service, but I am guessing from the 888 page that RÚV are!

I've been to Iceland a number of times too, like Hatton Cross and I'm generally fascinated by the place.

Yes my source is wiki, but it's worth remembering that Iceland was only connected to any satellite network in the early 1980s. This allowed them to enter the Eurovision Song Contest...and indeed broadcast it live from 1986. The teletext service only began in 1991.

Although there's plenty of international channels available, during the week RÚV don't start broadcasting until mid-afternoon, instead taking visualisation of their main radio station (as far as I could tell when I visited). After finding that out, I realised I should really be outside looking at other things Smile
DV
DVB Cornwall
I believe the Icelandic Volcano coverage is a webcam directly attached to a temporary PTP microwave link, where I presume it's power source is. Several walkers took advantage this afternoon for broadcast selfies. This is happening around 20miles from the capital Reykjavik, so a single hop is quite feasible.

Incidentally the volcano has currently gone hyperactive again and has been for a few minutes. It's notable that there are still helicopters in the area viewed into the darkness tonight. One of the three open vents which went quiet this afternoon is gushing again.
MA
Markymark

I've been to Iceland twice. Love the country, so beautiful, but so expensive.

And, just spend 10 minutes learning about the Geological things going on under your feet, and you realise the whole country could blow apart at any time.

On my bucket list there is to visit the Icelandic island of Surtsey, simply because it sprung out of the sea the same day I was born!
TV
TVVT
Somewhat related, but the main RÚV channel (as of 06.30) is still off air, with an information service akin to BBC Alba.

Newer posts