The Newsroom

BBC to move more roles outwith London

Guardian report; all-staff meeting on Thursday morning (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I think literally any space used at Salford for any programme has been deemed to be better than the Breakfast studio. Even the simple sofa infront of a videowall arrangement Newsround had was better.
FA
fanoftv
Josh posted:
Here is the obligatory post about how the 2018 Olympics studio should be used for Morning Live:

Those poses indicate a press picture, but why is there a blind fitter in the background?
MA
Matrix
Josh posted:
Here is the obligatory post about how the 2018 Olympics studio should be used for Morning Live:

Those poses indicate a press picture, but why is there a blind fitter in the background?

Or... a production crew member just getting a snap...
WO
Worzel
Josh posted:

A blind man?
MI
Michael
DM
DeMarkay
dvboy posted:
Is anyone aware of a list/information somewhere online about the various BBC units/departments and where they are based?

Reason I ask is I’ve seen several tweets relating to this story and complaining about Birmingham/the Midlands in general.

HR is in Birmingham isn't it?

Yes, it is... unfortunately.
BK
bkman1990
Apparently the Click team are moving to BBC Glasgow.

Yeah. I was thinking that as well. All of the technology news stories that BBC News have on their website is very much integrated into Click's output. It would appear that, going from this document, the Click team will be moving to Pacific Quay in the not too distant future. Although it would be a little bit confusing now that it's a news programme that's shown on both BBC WN & BBC NC. I wonder how this is going to work with the Click team moving to Scotland. Will the entire Click team be in an unanimous agreement to move up to Glasgow?

The Climate & Science team moving over to Cardiff is an interesting move as well. I would assume that David Shukman's Science Editor role will move over to Central Square along with the rest of that team or would it given that he is an Editor role. There are news programmes associated with Climate like Weather Watch & those other programmes focused specifically on Climate Change. I wonder what's going to happen to them in the future as well.
DE
denton

In fact, it's amazing that the nations are still doing pres in house, and locally

Nothing amazing. The reason that the Nations are still doing pres in house is simply because it's cheaper than getting Red Bee to do it.

Cheaper buildings, no London weighting, Announcer/Directors (instead of Announcers and Directors) who also perform the role of Pres Editor and Lines Ingest at the same time, Nations also provide disaster recovery for each other... oh, and no share holders expecting them to turn a profit.
MarkT76, deejay and London Lite gave kudos
MW
Mike W

Although it would be a little bit confusing now that it's a news programme that's shown on both BBC WN & BBC NC. I wonder how this is going to work with the Click team moving to Scotland. Will the entire Click team be in an unanimous agreement to move up to Glasgow?

They had similar issues whenever they've moved programmes before; some will take redundancy and be replaced than either move wholesale or commute.

dvboy posted:
Is anyone aware of a list/information somewhere online about the various BBC units/departments and where they are based?

Reason I ask is I’ve seen several tweets relating to this story and complaining about Birmingham/the Midlands in general.

HR is in Birmingham isn't it?

Yes, it is... unfortunately.

Unfortunate how? Lots of national bodies have their HR teams based in the Midlands. I think the unfortunate part is the lack of programme makers amongst the administration staff at The Mailbox.
MA
Markymark

In fact, it's amazing that the nations are still doing pres in house, and locally

Nothing amazing. The reason that the Nations are still doing pres in house is simply because it's cheaper than getting Red Bee to do it.

Cheaper buildings, no London weighting, Announcer/Directors (instead of Announcers and Directors) who also perform the role of Pres Editor and Lines Ingest at the same time, Nations also provide disaster recovery for each other... oh, and no share holders expecting them to turn a profit.

Fair enough, though I suppose this triggers the question couldn't the network playout be provided in house but external to London too?

It's all files and virtualisation these days!
HO
House
Will the entire Click team be in an unanimous agreement to move up to Glasgow?

I always got the impression a lot of the onscreen team and at least some of the production crew on Click were freelancers rather than staff reporters? It's certainly not a programme that's particularly London-centric in its end product (during non-pandemic times), and most of the bits that are likely still would be (i.e. visiting a London-based company for a report). Frankly, if there's a programme that should be able to come together with staff all across the country, it's Click. So I imagine that, beyond dragging Spencer to Pacific Quay every now and then to record some links, it'll mostly be desk-based staff and editors who move.

The significance? I don't understand which message the BBC is trying to send. Is this about moving jobs out of London behind the scenes? If it was, the Newsnight and Today changes don't relocate any positions. On the other hand, if it's about giving the public the impression that BBC programming is not London-centric, why would you move shows where their location is unknown to viewers 98% of the time? It frustrates me because I'm struggling to see in what way the BBC produces better (or, even, different) output, or better value-for-money, with these changes? It just seems like a great waste of cash every few years, followed by further workforce reductions when they remember how budget constrained they are.
JF
JF World News

Yeah. I was thinking that as well. All of the technology news stories that BBC News have on their website is very much integrated into Click's output. It would appear that, going from this document, the Click team will be moving to Pacific Quay in the not too distant future. Although it would be a little bit confusing now that it's a news programme that's shown on both BBC WN & BBC NC. I wonder how this is going to work with the Click team moving to Scotland. Will the entire Click team be in an unanimous agreement to move up to Glasgow?

The Climate & Science team moving over to Cardiff is an interesting move as well. I would assume that David Shukman's Science Editor role will move over to Central Square along with the rest of that team or would it given that he is an Editor role. There are news programmes associated with Climate like Weather Watch & those other programmes focused specifically on Climate Change. I wonder what's going to happen to them in the future as well.

Wouldn't Climate & Science team be better based in Bristol along with the Natural History Unit, but the Bristol newsroom isn't probably big enough

Newer posts