TV Home Forum

TV shows that moved channel?

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Horrid Henry - CITV ---> Nicktoons/Nickelodeon
Sadie Sparks - Disney Channel ---> Pop
LazyTown - CBeebies/Nick Jr. ---> Cartoonito/Milkshake!
Curious George - CITV/Disney Junior ---> Cartoonito
Hotel Transylvania - Disney XD ---> CITV
Bluey - Disney Junior ---> CBeebies

And every single one of those is an import rather than an original production, so I really don't think they count.
DE88, Matthew_Fieldhouse and TVVT gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
Flux posted:

Correct. The Hotel Inspector has always been on Channel 5. And arguably the best thing that happened to it was Ruth Watson being poached, as Alex Polizzi gave it a bit of a boost and has now of course become synonymous with the show - whilst the Channel 4 ripoff faded rather quickly. A quick look on the C5 website shows they were still airing new episodes in 2019. I had no idea it was still actually running! It's definitely been a long time since its heyday.

Used to love The Hotel Inspector but it became a bit samey. Alex gets to the hotel and stays the night. Finds a pube in the shower. Whinges about towels on the bed. Owners flap about making her breakfast. They argue a bit. She redecorates a room, hangs up a new sign outside and invites “local movers and shakers” to awkwardly hang around eating canapés for a bit. Then she sods off.

More recent episodes have been better than that. Some of the hotels are decent and have just lost their way. They seem to be nicer hoteliers so you find yourself rooting for them, rather than some of the horrors of the past.
JO
Jonwo

More recent episodes have been better than that. Some of the hotels are decent and have just lost their way. They seem to be nicer hoteliers so you find yourself rooting for them, rather than some of the horrors of the past.

There are some hotels that featured in The Hotel Inspector where you wonder how they ever got financed in the first place.
TV
Tv2333

And every single one of those is an import rather than an original production, so I really don't think they count.

Horrid Henry isn't an import.
Matthew_Fieldhouse and iloveTV1 gave kudos
BL
Blewbatt
The history of Power Rangers in the UK is actually quite interesting. First run episodes (the new series as they came out, after airing in the USA) used to be on Fox Kids/Jetix UK for my childhood, and on CITV for the terrestrial run, and nowadays, I think new series are on Pop! The funny story about that is that they'd always be 2 series behind on CITV.
JA
JAS84
CITV (or more often, GMTV) was only one series behind, not two.

Fox Kids only launched in 1996, so it wasn't actually PR's original home. It was on Sky One originally. When Fox Kids launched, it took most of the shows that made up the Sky One Undun block, resulting in Undun being scrapped. After Power Rangers RPM aired on Jetix/Disney XD, PR moved to Nickelodeon and Channel 5. Three years later, it had moved to Pop, where it airs today. In the US it's still on Nick, but I guess the UK counterpart wasn't happy with it as it didn't last long there. Channel 5 ditched it too when they were taken over by Viacom, with the Ninja Turtles taking over the timeslot.
JA
james-2001

Horrid Henry isn't an import.

Still, Nickelodeon bought repeats rather than commissioned new episodes as far as I'm aware, so much of the same. If we listed shows which got repeated on a channel other than the one they premiered on, we'd be here for days.
Last edited by james-2001 on 18 March 2021 7:27pm - 2 times in total
JO
Jonwo

The most recent Channel 5 poaching (other than Eggheads) is 22 Kids and Counting, an old C4 documentary that managed to beat The Circle in the same timeslot on Monday, both in overall numbers and 16-34s.

I wonder why Channel 4 didn't want ...Kids and Counting anymore as I think it did decent business for them.
JO
Jon
Flux posted:
And arguably the best thing that happened to it was Ruth Watson being poached, as Alex Polizzi gave it a bit of a boost and has now of course become synonymous with the show - whilst the Channel 4 ripoff faded rather quickly.

I must be one of the few who found Ruth Watson a more interesting character, I think it was fact she seemed like such an unlikely TV star. I never really found her Channel 4 shows quite as good though.

Not that I mind Alex Polizzi but I think I preferred her BBC Two general business show. Odd to think she was basically doing the same format on two channels at the same time, albeit one being more retail based and the other hospitality.
DE88, jaymadz and all new Phil gave kudos
CA
Caly123

What about The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park? They're imports and been mentioned on this thread.
JO
Jon

What about The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park? They're imports and been mentioned on this thread.

Yes, basically it’s normal for US imports to move around the EPGs, in the same way movies tend to be shown on different channels over time. I don’t think they’re really what the OP had in mind.
JO
Jonwo
In Australia Neighbours started on Seven, got cancelled then picked up by Ten where it became a hit, Home and Away likely wouldn't have existed had Seven kept it.

In the US, we've seen shows move networks a fair bit, this is just a small selection:
JAG - NBC to CBS
Medium - NBC to CBS
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - FOX to NBC
Scrubs - NBC to ABC
Supergirl - CBS to The CW
Baywatch - NBC to syndication
Last Man Standing - ABC to FOX
American Dad - FOX to TBS
Futurama - FOX to Comedy Central

Newer posts