TV Home Forum

Piers Morgan to leave GMB

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Ittr posted:
Surprised Piers and Charlotte were still sat next to each other at this point. When did they start social distancing between presenters? I'm sure Breakfast were doing it by this point.

They started using a two-metre distance from Monday 23rd, just before lockdown started.

Yes, just watched a few clips on YouTube to try and figure out the date.

I wonder if they will drop the 2 meter rule between presenters when (or indeed, if) restrictions end on the 21st June?

My guess is that if the government remove a requirement for social distancing entirely - then TV shows will return to pre-Covid staging.

If the government continue to request social distancing - many TV shows will continue with it - at the distance required. (Given that the 2m rule has been with us pretty much since the start of the government pandemic recommendations, and not been relaxed without mitigations being in place (and even then only if absolutely necessary), I suspect it'll be 2m or nothing)
FL
Flux
Ittr posted:
They started using a two-metre distance from Monday 23rd, just before lockdown started.

I wonder if they will drop the 2 meter rule between presenters when (or indeed, if) restrictions end on the 21st June?

My guess is that if the government remove a requirement for social distancing entirely - then TV shows will return to pre-Covid staging.

If the government continue to request social distancing - many TV shows will continue with it - at the distance required. (Given that the 2m rule has been with us pretty much since the start of the government pandemic recommendations, and not been relaxed without mitigations being in place (and even then only if absolutely necessary), I suspect it'll be 2m or nothing)

Personally, I don’t think the government will completely lift the rule that soon. It’s telling that the wording on their proposed roadmap is that they will lift “all legal limits”, not all limits. I think it’s likely to become more relaxed, with social distancing remaining a “recommendation” and best practice in the short term, no longer enforced but possibly encouraged. In that case, I can see many TV shows continuing with it - especially if they’ve allowed for it in their studios (like GMB’s heavily discussed desk!) and as production will also be used to it by then. There’s no rush to undo it really if the current setup works. Then it will gradually be phased out once (if?!) it becomes clear vaccines are keeping cases low enough in the long term and we avoid the threatened third wave.
AL
alexjac0788
Ittr posted:

It would be unlikely that the Government will continue to request social distancing much after 21 June, seeing as businesses such as nightclubs will be open. It would be impossible to enforce it there.

As JVT said a month or two back, the likely scenario is that the measures such as distancing and masks will become personal choice. The vaccines are clearly having the desired effect and much more.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

It would be unlikely that the Government will continue to request social distancing much after 21 June, seeing as businesses such as nightclubs will be open. It would be impossible to enforce it there.

It becomes impractical in certain situations, there was a football match recently where one team for some reason I can't recall decided to do the social distancing at all times throughout the match. Needless to say they lost. 37-0 I think it was.

I do think though it'll be an interesting presentation point on TV programmes when 2020/21 episodes of soaps and game shows turn up on rerun in a few years time. I can see the threads on Rob's forum now, "<somebody> has shown an old episode of <whatever> and there are perspex glasses between the contestants. Why?" Smile
TI
TIGHazard

It becomes impractical in certain situations, there was a football match recently where one team for some reason I can't recall decided to do the social distancing at all times throughout the match. Needless to say they lost. 37-0 I think it was.

I do think though it'll be an interesting presentation point on TV programmes when 2020/21 episodes of soaps and game shows turn up on rerun in a few years time. I can see the threads on Rob's forum now, "<somebody> has shown an old episode of <whatever> and there are perspex glasses between the contestants. Why?" Smile

"Why did Drama skip nearly 3 months of EastEnders?"

9 days later

CF
CallumF

CI
cityprod

Translation from Spineese: I'm going to lie about what happened in order to make myself look good and everyone else look bad, in a newspaper that deliberately conflates hate speech and free speech.

No thank you. #Boycott
JC
JCB
Man rants about being "cancelled" in his nationally available newspaper column.
VM
VMPhil
JCB posted:
Man rants about being "cancelled" in his nationally available newspaper column.

‘I’m Being Censored, and You Can Read, Hear, and See Me Talk About It in the News, on the Radio, and on TV’
JO
Jon
It’s not clear cut to say cancel culture exists or does not exist. It all depends what you mean by the term. If people mean that people are totally silenced once they’ve been ‘cancelled’ then that’s clearly not the case.

If it means that people can lose work for saying the wrong thing, then it clearly does exist. Look at Danny Baker and Alistair Stewart, they both lost their main jobs for tweeting stupid things, I think out of ignorance rather than maliciously. Whether you agree they should have been sacked or not, they were ‘cancelled’ from their jobs.

To acknowledge that cancel culture exists in the latter sense, doesn’t automatically mean you think they were wrong to be cancelled.
EL
elmarko
It’s only Cancel Culture if it’s produced in the Cancelle region of France, otherwise it’s just “sparkling consequences”.

Edit: this is a point as well as a joke
Last edited by elmarko on 27 March 2021 9:41pm
JC
JCB
Jon posted:
If it means that people can lose work for saying the wrong thing, then it clearly does exist. Look at Danny Baker and Alistair Stewart, they both lost their main jobs for tweeting stupid things, I think out of ignorance rather than maliciously. Whether you agree they should have been sacked or not, they were ‘cancelled’ from their jobs.

If you bring your employer into disrepute, whether intentionally or not, there are going to be consequences. That is not cancel culture and it's not new. People just don't want to be held accountable for their actions so they scream about being cancelled.

Newer posts