TV Home Forum

GMB | Patsy Palmer “Walk-off”

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM
There was no need for them to draw attention to her being addict. It was a very personal thing to put up and something that had nothing to do with what she was there to be interviewed about.
It would have been more acceptable to write 'actress'.
Again, this tacky programme looking for sensational headlines and yet again this programme getting something completely wrong and upsetting people.
We've had Terese Coffey and Patsy Palmer shut down their laptops on air over the last couple of months, as well as main presenter Piers walking off. The programme can't be taken seriously, whether as a news or debate programme.
MA
Meridian AM
As well as the caption drama, Patsy wrote on social media that she also wasn't happy with Susanna and Ben starting the interview asking her about Meghan and Harry.
She was supposed to be talking about her new business projects, and not the Meghan drama, nor her own addiction that she addressed almost 20 years ago and has moved on from.

From The Mirror:

"Addressing her anger at being asked about Meghan and Harry, Patsy explained :"I'm not a journalist so I don't want to report on other people's lives on TV. I never have and I never will, let's leave that up to the journalists."

She went on: "I am not going to waste those previous five minutes talking about things that are 20 years old or about Meghan and Harry."

Ben Shephard said: “That was obviously a quote from Patsy’s book and it certainly wasn’t our intention…”
The actress has hit back on Instagram saying: “I haven’t written a book in 20 years so don’t believe that either."
Last edited by Meridian AM on 17 March 2021 2:41pm - 3 times in total
BR
Brekkie
I guess this answers the question about what contributors see then when they're joining a show via Zoom/Skype etc. An awful mis-step by GMB - they need to do better.
FA
fanoftv
Are those straps necessary? I can understand the argument for them during a news story, a debate or a phone in to alert viewers tuning in part way through, but for celebrity interviews they don’t really offer any insight.
This Morning is probably the worst offender for this, adding them to everything from the news review to a fashion item.
MA
Meridian AM
Are those straps necessary? I can understand the argument for them during a news story, a debate or a phone in to alert viewers tuning in part way through, but for celebrity interviews they don’t really offer any insight.
This Morning is probably the worst offender for this, adding them to everything from the news review to a fashion item.

I agree. They are overused and often aren't necessary - especially when they're used to irrelevently label someone as an addict.
Last edited by Meridian AM on 17 March 2021 6:20pm
DE88, DeMarkay and Whataday gave kudos
JO
Josh
On live programmes (such as GMB), which role generally decides the precise text to be shown on screen? Editor?

I believe the role is called Text Producer.
DA
davidhorman
"Addressing her anger at being asked about Meghan and Harry, Patsy explained :"I'm not a journalist so I don't want to report on other people's lives on TV. I never have and I never will, let's leave that up to the journalists."

She went on: "I am not going to waste those previous five minutes talking about things that are 20 years old or about Meghan and Harry."

Ben Shephard said: “That was obviously a quote from Patsy’s book and it certainly wasn’t our intention…”
The actress has hit back on Instagram saying: “I haven’t written a book in 20 years so don’t believe that either."

Maybe Patsy should replace Piers.
TV
TVViewer256
If I'm honest, this thread is why I believe that some megathreads are OK. I think it would work much better if this and Piers discussion could be in one thread, especially seeing as some other things (e.g. what GMB did a year ago when the lockdown was beginning) are being discussed there.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
If I'm honest, this thread is why I believe that some megathreads are OK. I think it would work much better if this and Piers discussion could be in one thread, especially seeing as some other things (e.g. what GMB did a year ago when the lockdown was beginning) are being discussed there.

I disagree - I had been following the Piers thread when it happened but had lost interest in it a bit since and haven't been keeping up with it as much. However, seeing Patsy walking off was of interest and wouldn't necessarily have been something I would have seen had James not rightly started a new thread for it.
MA
Meridian AM
So the latest page of posts in the "Piers Morgan to leave GMB" thread should be moved into a new thread called "What GMB did a year ago about social distancing", as they are nothing to do with Piers leaving?
Then there'll be endless GMB threads, as it seems to be one of the most talked about things on the forum.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
So the latest page of posts in the "Piers Morgan to leave GMB" thread should be moved into a new thread called "What GMB did a year ago about social distancing", as they are nothing to do with Piers leaving?
Then there'll be endless GMB threads, as it seems to be one of the most talked about things on the forum.

I really don't get what the problem is with people understanding this whole concept. Megathreads for day-to-day ramblings (i.e. the posts about what GMB did a year ago) and new threads for something noteworthy that would have wider interest, like the Piers saga, Patsy walking off, etc. It's only what a news editor has to decide between what goes in the headlines and what ends up in the news in brief. Why is this so complicated?
Alfie Mulcahy, Joe and Brekkie gave kudos
AB
AcerBen
Unless she was deliberately advertising the fact she'd been an addict and turned her life around, it was a bit unnecessary to remind us that she used to be one, considering she's been clean for 17 years.

Once an addict, always an addict - even if you kept the gambling industry happy, smoked 50 a day, drank several pints before the News at One, or done a lines of Columbia white sniffing powder, and are now clean, and have been for a day, a week, a month, a year or several of them.

If you have the determination and resolve not to and to never touch any of those things again, great - but you were (and still are) an addict. Frank Skinner - who drank far too much in his early days says that. He's still a non alcohol drinking addict.

But, has Ms Palmer aquired a new agent? She seems to be a lot more 'out there' over the past few weeks. Almost as though someone had decided that since Dame Babs has departed, what the world needs is a lovable cockney woman popping up every now and then, and Patsy fits that particular bill.

There's a difference between people who've suffered from addiction understanding within themselves that they will always be an "addict", in order to stay clean, and other people choosing to brand you as one without asking, on TV, and outside of the context of the stuff she agreed to come on to talk about.

There was no justification for putting that on screen without her permission.

Newer posts