TV Home Forum

Top Gear new series from Television Centre

Split from Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

At least TVC was purpose built - even if it wasn't all built at the same time!

Unfortunately being purpose built also means that when that purpose changes or disappears completely it's is more difficult to find a new use.

Yes the studios themselves were and are still perfect for making telly in (although a lot less necessary than when they were built) technology and working practises scuppered the rest of the building. Edit suites went from massive rooms to desktop computers, VT disappeared, apps rooms got replaced by remote data centres and the trend is for flexible light open plan offices.

The last year has changed things even more, even the physical offices and space aren't needed as much
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 1 March 2021 1:19pm
JO
Joe
Joe posted:
I might be seeing a false link here, but it seems like people are saying that these images of Top Gear at TVC show that TVC should have been kept.

Probably worth remembering that the reason it looks so great is great lighting, good camerawork and the ‘coolness’ of the cars. Yeah, TVC is iconic, but I reckon they could probably have ported that set up to the housing development I live on and achieve some amazing results too (I’m not entirely joking!) .

Well last series they did the same, but in the middle of a featureless runway, and it looked great too!

True! I found it quite funny that the articles spoke as if this was the first time they'd moved away from the norm, but the previous series did things rather differently too…
CO
commseng

At least TVC was purpose built - even if it wasn't all built at the same time!

Unfortunately being purpose built also means that when that purpose changes or disappears completely it's is more difficult to find a new use.

Yes the studios themselves were and are still perfect for making telly in (although a lot less necessary than when they were built) technology and working practises scuppered the rest of the building. Edit suites go from massive rooms to desktop computers, VT disappears, apps rooms get replaced by remote data centres and the trend is for flexible light open plan offices.

The last year has changed things even more, even the physical offices and space aren't needed as much

So true. Where I work now the rooms in the building change by the month, and what was a small office one week is an edit suite the next and a commentary booth shortly after.
I am usually working at the moment in an MCR which had been the kitchen and then an edit, and who knows what it might be next!
VA
valley
Joe posted:
Joe posted:
I might be seeing a false link here, but it seems like people are saying that these images of Top Gear at TVC show that TVC should have been kept.

Probably worth remembering that the reason it looks so great is great lighting, good camerawork and the ‘coolness’ of the cars. Yeah, TVC is iconic, but I reckon they could probably have ported that set up to the housing development I live on and achieve some amazing results too (I’m not entirely joking!) .

Well last series they did the same, but in the middle of a featureless runway, and it looked great too!

True! I found it quite funny that the articles spoke as if this was the first time they'd moved away from the norm, but the previous series did things rather differently too…

Indeed, they were still at Dunsfold, this season is surely the first since 2002 where links haven’t been recorded there?

12 days later

JO
Joe
It made me smile to see the links referred to in this article as being filmed 'in a courtyard in west London, with residents able to watch from their windows.' They later expand on that, and I think was worded absolutely fine – but it was (the tiniest bit) amusing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56230566
HC
Hatton Cross
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/56420308

Sad news. Sabine Schmitt who presented the occasional feature in the Chris Evans reboot era of the show, has sadly died.
UL
ulsterman92

Sad news. Sabine Schmitt who presented the occasional feature in the Chris Evans reboot era of the show, has sadly died.

Very sad news, think she is the only person to be involved in all eras of the show since the return in 2002, she did the famous Nurburgring in a van in the Clarkson era and did the UK v Germany Top Gear showdown then presented features in the Evans, LeBlanc and I think she did a feature with Chris Harris in the current era and of course she presented German Top Gear.

RIP Sabine, one taken far too soon.
Last edited by ulsterman92 on 17 March 2021 5:48pm
TO
tomo359
That's so sad. She always came across so well in the show, full of fun and clearly loved what she did.
RIP Sabine Sad
MH
Mateus Honrado

May she rest in peace.
BK
bkman1990
I'm speechless. I was only thinking about herself coming onto the show with the new series. RIP. Sad
AB
ABC Australia
I'm shocked! Sabine was so fantastic every time she appeared on the show and I loved her passion for cars.
BK
bkman1990
The BBC One CA has said that there will be a tribute to Sabine Schmitz after tonight's episode.

Newer posts