TV Home Forum

EastEnders

Kate Oates joins as Exec Producer (June 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
what
I'm just confused as to why they're making set tweaks now when a new one is imminent.
JA
james-2001
what posted:
I'm just confused as to why they're making set tweaks now when a new one is imminent.

Maybe they're making tweaks so it matches what they know will be different on the new set, so we won't suddenly get those differences all at once overnight?
SC
Si-Co
I didn’t realise they were getting a new set? I know it was on the cards in 2016-17 (hence some changes to venues in the storyline) but then the plan was put on hold. When is the new set due to “go live”?
JA
james-2001
They've been building the set for the last couple of years, don't know when it's due to go live though. I imagine covid's slowed things down.
NE
neonemesis
You can see the new set being built here:

For some reason the aerial photos on the desktop version of Google Maps still shows the original car park.

I think this has slipped quite significantly as there were quite a few storylines related to the demolition of the tower block (bringing the Cokers and Taylors in) and the Wilmott brown storyline was all about re-development at the time too.

By rotating the set through 90 degrees there will be some really different views when wider shots are used that will need to be explained. I used to have the drawings that were submitted as part of the planning application showing what it would look like but can't seem to find them any more... edit / which I posted in August 2015!!

I seem to remember one of the studio building's gable ends was to be branded "Walford Brewery", and the Underground station being repositioned as a London Overground station ... may just have been for the planning application though..

Last edited by neonemesis on 17 March 2021 9:59am - 4 times in total
AN
Andrew Founding member
It's a very constrained site isn't it. Is its basically a like for like replacement, they aren't doing like Corrie did and taking the opportunity to extend the set with new streets we've never seen before?
NE
neonemesis
Found it... fwiw now that there are real pictures...

JA
james-2001
It's a very constrained site isn't it. Is its basically a like for like replacement, they aren't doing like Corrie did and taking the opportunity to extend the set with new streets we've never seen before?

From what I read they are doing that too, I think they're going to build an expanded set where the old set is once they've moved to the new set. Means it won't all be continuous though, they'll be walking round a corner then moving from one set to another.
BU
buster
Since this has been in the works I have notified far fewer scenes on George St (bar the tube itself which is still fairly essential for the plot), presumably because it’s not on the new set, and if they do build it again on the old lot it’ll be done time before we see it again. So instead they have phased it out so it doesn’t disappear overnight.
DA
davidhorman
Quote:
For some reason the aerial photos on the desktop version of Google Maps still shows the original car park.

Try disabling 3D Buildings.

Once they move we might finally see them "demolish" Walford Towers. It was supposed to happen in 2017 - it's where the Taylors and Murrays came from - but since the set still hasn't moved/rotated, the tower block still appears behind the car lot every now and again.

It'll be over the Vic on the new set so should be easier to hide.
DJ
DJ Dave

From what I read they are doing that too, I think they're going to build an expanded set where the old set is once they've moved to the new set. Means it won't all be continuous though, they'll be walking round a corner then moving from one set to another.

They use to do that on Brookside when they went through to the Parade.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I think there was another topical insert filmed recently to reflect the Covid-19 vaccination programme with Suki, Karen and Patrick in the Minute Mart in today's episode.

Newer posts