The Newsroom

Andrew Neil’s GB News show

Details revealed on Radio 4 Media Show (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SI
sigma421
Reading between the lines.....So you can expect there wont be some huge newsroom as Mr Neil says many of the reporters will report from their hometowns. Expect the WFH broadcasting to continue and or they will likely deliver live reports on scene rather than a regional bureau. Because since it will follow the talking head model, and they wont be covering breaking news in the traditional sense.

If 120 of the 140 positions are journalists, then that leaves at most 20 technical staff. I don't work in the industry so I could be wrong but it seems like a very small team and the consequence will probably be that they won't be able to react as fast as Sky or the BBC when breaking news happens.

Interesting, although the line between journalist and technical staff is pretty blurry these days. A lot of producers may well be shooting and editing content.
VA
valley
Press release from Red Bee this morning: "GB News, Britain’s latest news channel, will launch on Red Bee Media’s cloud-based software-only Managed Playout Service. Red Bee will manage the playout of all GB News’ broadcasts, making sure 6500 hours a year of news, opinion and debate reaches audiences across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland."

Source: https://www.redbeemedia.com/news/gb-news-to-launch-with-red-bee-medias-software-only-playout-deployment/
Matthew_Fieldhouse and Markymark gave kudos
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Press release from Red Bee this morning: "GB News, Britain’s latest news channel, will launch on Red Bee Media’s cloud-based software-only Managed Playout Service. Red Bee will manage the playout of all GB News’ broadcasts, making sure 6500 hours a year of news, opinion and debate reaches audiences across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland."

Source: https://www.redbeemedia.com/news/gb-news-to-launch-with-red-bee-medias-software-only-playout-deployment/

So only average 18 hours a day
JA
Jamesypoo
"Only" 18 hours a day? That's enough to be live 0600-0000 with recorded material overnight one would assume.
LH
lhx1985
That's pretty standard for that kind of channel, to be fair.
MSNBC repeats its primetime block from midnight, with Rachel Maddow getting a third airing before their early breakfast programme.
Fox News also goes into re-run mode between 0000 and 0400 (ET).
EX
excel99
Fox is, or soon will be, down to 3 hours of re-runs on weekdays. Fox News at Night is being shunted to midnightET, so they will have new programming until 1amET
CH
chinamug
Fox is, or soon will be, down to 3 hours of re-runs on weekdays. Fox News at Night is being shunted to midnightET

That's probably to do with America's obsession on the east coast of getting up eariler and eariler.

I would think GB News would be safe enough having nothing on between 1 and 6 am. If this were the old days they'd close down probably replacing Carole Hersee on the test card with Andrew Neil.

I think a late night show between 12 and 1 might work. Much like the Midnight Hour that used to go out on BBC 2 decades ago.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

HC
Hatton Cross
Here's me hoping Freeview would allocate it channel 666.

Never mind...
UN
Universal_r
I notice it says launch later this year and not month, so I presume it will not be launching this month like Andrew previously said.
CF
CallumF
I wonder if they will have launched in time for May’s elections.
JK
JKDerry
When we look at the schedules of MSNBC, CNN US and Fox News, British viewers tend to not know of the time zone problem they have there.

The US news channels have to accommodate for the main time zone differences, to ensure people on the west coast can watch their prime time news shows at the proper time.

For example on MSNBC, Rachel Maddow Show airs at 9pm East Coast Time, that means it is seen at 6pm in Los Angeles and all of the west coast, not a great time for the program, so having a repeat at 12.00am East Coast, means viewers in the west coast can see at it the proper 9pm slot.

Newer posts