The Newsroom

Downing Street Briefing Room

First pictures (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
First pictures of the Downing Street Press Briefing Room.

ITV article: https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-15/exclusive-first-pictures-of-downing-street-white-house-style-media-briefing-room.

BB
BBI45
£2.6 million?! For that?!

I would say I'm shocked, but I'd be talking rubbish.
VM
VMPhil
Looks awful, frankly.
CF
CallumF
What’s with the podium?

DB
dbl
I can't help but stare at Henry...
The SNT Three and chaose gave kudos
RD
RDJ
Looks terrible. It’s just a blue background with some flags in front - they didn’t need to spend £2.6M for that.

I don’t really see these briefings working anyway. After a year of briefings directly from the PM or members of the cabinet, the public are going to be less likely to listen to a spokesperson for the PM, even if it is Allegra Stratton. Journalists will also be denied the chance to challenge the government directly too.
Independent, msim and UTVLifer gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Two and a half million for that?
Could have probably hired out the local community centre for a day for the fraction of that price!
MO
Mouseboy33
Im not justifying the cost but that seems like awful lot for the cosmetic on camera portions we see. Im wondering, if they upgraded or installed some broadcast infrastructure we cant see, that the media and hook up to, so they dont need to bring camera and stuff. But i dont know. The White House has all this stuff already installed for decades, not sure what was needed Downing Street Media room as this is the first time one has been install for permanent briefings. Because that cost seems excessive for just that.
Reading an ITV article

Quote:
ITV News understands there are questions being raised over the involvement of a Russian owned company, which was hired to carry out crucial work installing equipment - including microphones, control desks, cameras and computers .

Quote:
The true cost of the installation was revealed last week - £1,848,695.12 for the "main works", other costs included £198,023.75 on "long lead items" and £33,394.63 on "broadband equipment."

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 15 March 2021 5:16pm - 2 times in total
VA
valley
Im not justifying the cost but that seems like awful lot for the cosmetic on camera portions we see. Im wondering, if they upgraded or installed some broadcast infrastructure we cant see, that the media and hook up to, so they dont need to bring camera and stuff. But i dont know. The White House has all this stuff already installed for decades, not sure what was needed Downing Street Media room as this is the first time one has been install for permanent briefings. Because that cost seems excessive for just that.

The cameras are there presumably to avoid the sort of scenes we see at the WH where everyone is crammed in. Although maybe that's just an initial COVID-related setup.
MO
Mouseboy33
They cram in (pre-covid) because its very small and narrow space and there are far more journalists in the US and the around the world interested in questioning the US president if he is at the podium rather than just the press secretary or something significant other than the Daily Briefing is held. It was formerly the indoor pool that was decked over. Unfortunately is no a good space any more. So the WH Press Room is a much smaller space than the Downing Street press room. In the WH Press Room, there is a small area to the right of the podium for traditional photographers. Some camera operators are in back most are installed along the walls and above the journalists. Its rare they are along the aisles. But it happens.
MO
Mouseboy33
What’s with the podium?

I imagine this is hung on the podium when the PM is speaking an removed when its the press secretary. Its just a guess though. Its clunky application though.
UT
UTVLifer
Am I right to assume that the Coronavirus briefings will probably be moved to this new briefing room/studio as it won't be very effective for No.10 to essentially have two briefing room setups at once?

Newer posts