TV Home Forum

TVF Confessions

An amnesty on your deepest, darkest presentation opinions (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
This one is going to be very controversial. But, I actually don’t mind 4:3 archived shows being stretched to 16:9. Infact, when I’m watching Family Guy on ITV 2 I’ll deliberately watch on the SD channel so it’s remastered to 16:9 Embarassed

I do too.

You can get out as well. Mad Wink
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
This one is going to be very controversial. But, I actually don’t mind 4:3 archived shows being stretched to 16:9. Infact, when I’m watching Family Guy on ITV 2 I’ll deliberately watch on the SD channel so it’s remastered to 16:9 Embarassed

I hope Rob is cancelling your membership of TV Live Forum as we speak.

😃
RI
richard110888
My turn
I liked the celeb idents on itv as there were so many different versions in garish bright sets and then we had people like Trevor McDonald in a much quieter subtle brick set. I always liked the blue and yellow block era too

The colour picking idents were really impressive. As others have mentioned the slick way in which the dot on the I would open up and then fall back into place seamlessly linking into another trailer or ident. I was also a fan of the last lot of

I've liked all ITV News presentation since 1999 - I used to like the spinning net globe and the general set. its a shame nobody ever made a recreation of that in the gallery. The theatre of news was impressive for its time and I liked the globe made up of blocks which would grow and shrink. Whilst the car park era set was...well like a car park I did like the hero panels which transitioned flawlessly into the studio making each headline sequence unique. The news at ten skyline looked stunning and was axed way too quickly

Even now I still don't like the new sky news HQ. We went from the Sky News centre which had a great sense of depth and 10+ presentation points to a small glass box consisting of a screen and a desk. I said at the time there isn't much they can do with it. You can't move around desks or add new screen to create new presentation points. I will admit the introduction of lighting made it look slightly better but when you consider how sexy the old Sky News centre was when they returned for the election to then go back to that was meh. I also used to like watching the presenters walking from the news wall, down the stairs and sometimes sprinting to the island before the voice over finished. We used to get jib sweeping shots of the studio and one time the camera crashed into 1 of the fins and you saw someone in the gallery put their hand over their head. .Overall Sky News presentation in the past was engaging and if you watch it for many hours as I do that is important as much as the news itself. No matter how many times you saw the old TOTH sequence it felt like an event which now is very lackluster. I have generally liked all sky news music over the years

Channel 4's last few sets of idents are just...weird. I much preferred the 4 which would start as random objects in a scene before forming up to show the full logo for a second before it broke up again

I find it irritating when people say BBC won't dare delay the start of strictly to show the Prime Minister's statement - really? the news is something that matters and affects everyone's lives. A dancing show starting 5 mins late is not a priority during a pandemic

This takes me on to another point when people say why do people watch news channels all the time well for me one thing I like is that you never know what is going to happen from 1 minute to the next. I can start watching 1 story and suddenly another one breaks and before I know it the rest of the day has past by. There is something exciting about watching a story break....develop...& conclude whether that be that day, week, month, year or decade. Whilst most news is generally bad it is the reality of the situation at that time in the world, some say its depressing but its real life, it matters much more than some trivial reality rubbish like Love Island
MarkT76 and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
UT
Upload TV

Chuckling reading some of the replies to this Laughing Very Happy
JO
Jonwo

I find it irritating when people say BBC won't dare delay the start of strictly to show the Prime Minister's statement - really? the news is something that matters and affects everyone's lives. A dancing show starting 5 mins late is not a priority during a pandemic

This takes me on to another point when people say why do people watch news channels all the time well for me one thing I like is that you never know what is going to happen from 1 minute to the next. I can start watching 1 story and suddenly another one breaks and before I know it the rest of the day has past by. There is something exciting about watching a story break....develop...& conclude whether that be that day, week, month, year or decade. Whilst most news is generally bad it is the reality of the situation at that time in the world, some say its depressing but its real life, it matters much more than some trivial reality rubbish like Love Island

At the risk of sounding judgemental but there is more to life than just news! If Strictly and Love Island is something people watch and enjoy then it's not for others to judge their tastes.
NJ

Chuckling reading some of the replies to this Laughing Very Happy

We're all coming round your house when lockdown ends and setting up your TV properly to prevent crimes against archive TV. This is just like that time when <insert suitable setup lead in line and Family Guy style flashback here> Wink
LL
London Lite Founding member
While not tv pres focused, whenever I see a tv set that hasn't been set-up properly (such as 4:3 channels stretched to 16:9) or the tv left on factory settings, I have to resist the urge to set it up properly!
MI
Michael
Especially in pubs.
JO
Jonwo
While not tv pres focused, whenever I see a tv set that hasn't been set-up properly (such as 4:3 channels stretched to 16:9) or the tv left on factory settings, I have to resist the urge to set it up properly!

I'm like that with my Mum when she's watching programmes is SD when the HD channel is available and I've switched it over on more than one occasion. Rochelle Humes mentioned on Room 101 that her husband did that whenever she was watching TV so clearly I'm not the only one!
MarkT76, Alfie Mulcahy and London Lite gave kudos
MI
Michael
My other half used to do that when you had to pay £8 a month for HD on Virgin. She would still watch in muddyvision. She may as well have burned a tenner in front of me.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Jonwo posted:

I'm like that with my Mum when she's watching programmes is SD when the HD channel is available and I've switched it over on more than one occasion. Rochelle Humes mentioned on Room 101 that her husband did that whenever she was watching TV so clearly I'm not the only one!

I'm my mother's carer and she recognises when something is in SD these days as she'll say "son, the picture on EastEnders is blurry"
NJ
I do wonder how some of the zoom options on TV get there. Who in their right mind uses 16:9 subtitles or, God help us, 14:9? Why is that even an option? Full mode is bad enough with archive programming, but heavens to betsy, anything with "stretch" in its mode name? Why?

I'm sure there are people who think everybody on TV before 1998 was short and fat.
MarkT76 and paul_hadley gave kudos

Newer posts