TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2021

New series started on 20th February (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
Turns out it links to the pre-titles sketch where Ant & Dec changed their names. Shows how much attention I was paying! Wink
AN
Andrew Founding member
Probably the best episode of the series so far tonight, and a proper end of the show show that wasn’t just larking about next to a musical performance
SC
Score
Yes, easily the best one of the series so far. The Costa sting was hilarious, some great ‘only on live TV’ moments and the best End of The Show Show in ages.
DA
davidhorman
Josh posted:
Turns out it links to the pre-titles sketch where Ant & Dec changed their names. Shows how much attention I was paying! Wink

Except that didn't make any sense either...

Have I missed a topical reference to someone's name being changed for anonymity purposes?
JO
Jon
Yes the whole thing was probably one of the best episodes in years. Just shows when those of who moan about the show nowadays, it isn’t because of some rose-tinted spectacles, it used to be of that quality every week and we are capable of giving the show credit where it’s due.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I think it was just for comedic dramatisation.

Funny that I read about the sea shanty thing in the TV guide and thought it would be rubbish. Turns out to be the best finale they've done for a long time. Certainly beats just having them fart about while a singer performs.
Last edited by Larry the Loafer on 13 March 2021 8:55pm
JO
Jon

Except that didn't make any sense either...

Yes, I didn’t really get that. I could understand if they were both referring to the other one by their own name.
ME
mediaman2007
"With thanks to the BBC" in the credits!
FA
fanoftv
A brilliant episode, no opening song, but because of the short titles it still felt a little weird.

I also didn’t get the reference to the name change, unless it was Dec’s idea in a meeting and they thought they’d run with it. I like the inclusion of a pre titles sketch.

The Coffee segment was a brilliant feature, and didn’t appear to overly push the Costa Promotion compared to the Greggs competition that they aired previously.

The End of the Show Show was definitely the strongest of the series, helped by an ensemble in the studio of course; they cast the net fat & wide for celebrities, from Laurence Chaney to Brian May, it was very well done.

For me the highlight of the show was Adira’s reaction in the happiest minute of the week, ripping off her weave in celebration! Brilliant!
richard110888 and mediaman2007 gave kudos
ME
mediaman2007
A brilliant episode, no opening song, but because of the short titles it still felt a little weird.

I also didn’t get the reference to the name change, unless it was Dec’s idea in a meeting and they thought they’d run with it. I like the inclusion of a pre titles sketch.

The Coffee segment was a brilliant feature, and didn’t appear to overly push the Costa Promotion compared to the Greggs competition that they aired previously.

The End of the Show Show was definitely the strongest of the series, helped by an ensemble in the studio of course; they cast the net fat & wide for celebrities, from Laurence Chaney to Brian May, it was very well done.

For me the highlight of the show was Adira’s reaction in the happiest minute of the week, ripping off her weave in celebration! Brilliant!

There are some shows where short titles work fine. For me, Takeaway is not one. Especially when they have no pre titles bit! What is wrong with having the long titles sequence they used to have for a big saturday night show? Admittedly they walk out of a hairdressers at the start of the titles and it doesn't work as well without a studio audience but outside Covid times I'd always have a proper opening title sequence.
RI
richard110888
Have to agree it was a great show tonight.

I had the remote poised to skip the opening song. it works so much better without it

The opening segment was great. The second woman's face when she was told she was going to be a Grandma was great....actually her face throughout was hilarious

Happiest minute of the week lived up to its name with 1 woman so excited her wig came off - my favourite bit was when she spent 20 seconds trying to get it back in place before giving up and another woman jumped in her seat when the rest of the family screamed around her

The Costa segment had some laugh out loud moments

Singalong live was better in living rooms rather then the pointless gimmick of doing it outside

and the end of the show show...shows how much goodwill Art and Des have with celebs of all ages and shows. A much more enjoyable ending. I do think in recent years they have relied too much on singing so dropping the opening performance this week was a good decision
ulsterman92, AJB39 and fanoftv gave kudos
CA
Castries
And Dec going 'Beaten cancer - get in!' was true Alan Partridge as well.

Lots of smiles across 90 minutes - perfect for a family Covid Saturday night.

Newer posts