TV Home Forum

Royal Coverage | Harry, Meghan and Oprah

Harpo Productions Interview (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
When you consider BBC Breakfast is a longer programme with no ad breaks, that only works out at roughly 21 minutes every hour, I'm not sure how long GMB is without ads though.
VA
valley
Jonwo posted:
When you consider BBC Breakfast is a longer programme with no ad breaks, that only works out at roughly 21 minutes every hour, I'm not sure how long GMB is without ads though.

Roughly 2 hours 25 minutes without ads.
DB
dbl
Does anyone know if they aired it with ADs in the US or not?

Absolutely, to the point Twitter (UK viewers watching on illegal streams) bemoaned how frequent they were and the type of ads that were being served up.

JKDerry and London Lite gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
British viewers seem to be shocked at the amount of adverts in US programming. That has been the norm for decades.

I remember watching Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, and when he ended his monologue he was handed a box of Kellogs Cornflakes, where he did a 20 second promo for it in the show, and then cut to a dedicated one minute advert with Johnny's side kick Ed McMahon showing how cornflakes are healthy which led into a 30 second filmed commercial for Kellogs.

Imagine that on ITV.
JO
Jonwo

Roughly 2 hours 25 minutes without ads.

Only 37 minutes dedicated to anything else is pretty appalling especially when you consider some of that will be weather and regional news opt outs so it'll be even less.
MO
Mouseboy33
Funny that Brits actually watch the ads. After years of this in US and Canada you get used to ignoring them and time your ad breaks. Put the kids down, make a cuppa, check your email. Or putting in another load of laundry or running to the kitchen. Who's paying 100% attention to ads? Everyone I know simply ignores them. So there's that. Thats why remote controls have mute buttons and mobile phone are on the net that allow surfing to fill the ad break time. LOL. Such a old discussion that always surfaces.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 8 March 2021 6:15pm
Meridian AM and JKDerry gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
Funny that Brits actually watch the ads. Everyone I know simply ignores them. So there's that. Thats why remote controls with mute buttons and mobile phone and surfing fills the ad break time. Or putting in another load of laundry or running to the kitchen. LOL. Such a old discussion that always surfaces.

I think it is down to the British not used to the style and quantity of advertising. In Britain, the amount of commercials is limited per broadcasting hour and at various times during the course of the day.
MA
Markymark
Funny that Brits actually watch the ads. Everyone I know simply ignores them. So there's that. Thats why remote controls with mute buttons and mobile phone and surfing fills the ad break time. Or putting in another load of laundry or running to the kitchen. LOL. Such a old discussion that always surfaces.

Historically, the amount of TV advertising space available was extremely limited, only one national commercial TV channel, and limited to about 6 to 7 mins in every hour.

Consequently it cost an absolute fortune to advertise, and counter intuitively perhaps, a fortune was spent to produce them, and many had prodction values that far exceeded the programmes they were inserted into. Therefore, viewers took notice of them, (not having VCRs in use helped too)
MO
Mouseboy33
Oh I know this. Its just odd that talking about it is still a thing. Thats why the vast majority of Americans/Canadians have DVRs or stream tv or allow the recording to build up so you dont have to watch the ads. So you can FF thru advert breaks. Not a problem for people in US and Canada in 2021 with the advent of modern technology.
JO
Joe
Odd sort of pride in your tone. I think most of us are pretty glad we donā€™t have more adverts. Thanks for the tips but I reckon we have the fast-forward/do something else technique figured out too.
SE
seamus
Joe posted:
Odd sort of pride in your tone. I think most of us are pretty glad we donā€™t have more adverts. Thanks for the tips but I reckon we have the fast-forward/do something else technique figured out too.

Agreed, as an American I'm envious of the BBC's ad-free nature, and the better balance of adverts on commercial broadcasters in the UK.

Even on PBS, there's advert creep happening - what used to just be underwriting has now extended as far as film trailers and non-product oriented corporate adverts:

Tying this back to the issue at hand, I wonder if ITV will have additional segments that CBS didn't having since there's less ad-breaks and presumably more time for content.
BB
BBI45
Joe posted:

Agreed, as an American I'm envious of the BBC's ad-free nature, and the better balance of adverts on commercial broadcasters in the UK.

Even on PBS, there's advert creep happening - what used to just be underwriting has now extended as far as film trailers and non-product oriented corporate adverts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFU9e1aC74c

Tying this back to the issue at hand, I wonder if ITV will have additional segments that CBS didn't having since there's less ad-breaks and presumably more time for content.

"Major funding for the PBS Newshour has been provided by..."

Newer posts